Junkyard Macks

Skwak

Hi everyone, cleaning up my late father's junkyard so its time to find homes for the remaining trucks. I'll add more to this thread as I get them dug out and accessible. Trying to price reasonably with the idea that most will be parts trucks, but I do have to unfortunately keep the high scrap values in mind. Here's the first two:

The first truck I believe is a 1939? Type 80 fire pumper truck. Crawled all around the frame, no stamping. However, firewall has a tag bolted on stamped 15EH1196 so I'm assuming its an EH model. Engine is stamped EY11-74F, I believe this to be a 707 gasser. Motor is set up from sitting. Most tags are missing and little trinkets were picked off during the years but pictures show what is left. 

Second truck is the remains of a B61, chassis number B61T30671. Engine number FN9673-477. Engine looks complete with transmission still in place. Cab is basically gone. 

I know these two are very rough, so I'm basically looking to get scrap value for them. I'm assuming the firetruck is around 13,000 pounds and the B model to be around 8,000 pounds. Asking $2500 for the firetruck and $1500 for the B model, but please make an offer if you're interested as I'd rather see them saved than scrapped.

I've had a lot of people asking for parts off them, I'd just like to see if anyone is interested in the whole trucks first but if time moves along with no inquiries I will put the word out for parts before scrapping what is left. I know this forum is filled with knowledgeable people so if you see anything incorrect please feel free to correct me! Additional pictures at request. Just a disclosure that these are private sales of family belongings, the junkyard has been closed for business permanently. Located in upstate NY, 20 miles from Albany. Thanks!

IMG_3512 2.JPG

IMG_3513 2.JPG

IMG_3515 2.JPG

IMG_3516 2.JPG

IMG_3517 2.JPG

IMG_3519 2.JPG

IMG_4250 2.JPG

IMG_4253 2.JPG

IMG_4255 2.JPG

IMG_4247 2.JPG

Edited by Skwak
Added Location
  • Like 1

Perhaps the pictures don't show the true roughness of it but the fire truck looks more than somewhat salvageable. I'm certainly not the guy to do it but although it's dented and bent it doesn't appear to have the rust that one would think it would being exposed to the elements for so long.  

I'm looking forward to upcoming photos and info for sure!

• Like 2

I've seen worse looking undercarriages on fire trucks around here from the mid 80's.  Look at the rear springs, there's absolutely no rust jacking in the stack.  Definitely looks like it can be saved.

Is most of the stuff still in this junkyard that can be seen on google satellite images?  I'm less than an hour away but never heard of the salvage yard before you started this post.  I'd like to take a look at what else is there one of these days if thats alright.

16 hours ago, Skwak said:

Grabbed a picture today, very faint but I did take a scratching as well. 

IMG_4244.JPG

EY was one of 4 Thermodyne engines Mack newly represented in 1938. There were 4 gassers of 510, 672 and 707 ci and one Diesel with Lanova combustion chamber and 519 ci. displacement. I have a truck made in 1944 with original to it EY engine. It's even EY-11... Just don't remember the last two digits at the moment.

The place you found the stamping is correct.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Sorry to see the trucks became in such poor shape due to age and outside storage. At the same time I very appreciate your approach to offer them for sale on here. It's definitely better to give someone a chance to get a truck or a part off it before they go a scrap route.

Vlad

• Like 1

unfortunately Vlad, that happens way too often here. people buy but don't sell. then after they are gone, the family is left with a bunch of very old vehicles that are almost or too far gone to do anything with. 

back when i was in my late teens early 20's there was a farmer with about 40 old cars/trucks on a treerow from 1925 to 1970. he flat out refused to sell anything, and chased me off the property the last time i was there. and i offered good money too, i was not looking for free. 

i heard he died and the family sold the property for next to nothing to a developer, who the next week came in a scrapped everything. in the row were three chrysler and two desotos with hemi engines.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

unfortunately Vlad, that happens way too often here. people buy but don't sell. then after they are gone, the family is left with a bunch of very old vehicles that are almost or too far gone to do anything with. 

back when i was in my late teens early 20's there was a farmer with about 40 old cars/trucks on a treerow from 1925 to 1970. he flat out refused to sell anything, and chased me off the property the last time i was there. and i offered good money too, i was not looking for free. 

i heard he died and the family sold the property for next to nothing to a developer, who the next week came in a scrapped everything. in the row were three chrysler and two desotos with hemi engines.

way too often is an under statement. one guy i worked for had a 40's merc sled  and a late 50's ford van  panel truck. wish i had a dollar for every time some one wanted to buy them. He passed away, son told me when they went to move the vehicles  both frames buckled in half . such a waste of history.

• Like 1

Sad stories guys. I noted many times that in your society(es) a statement works that if some thing is your property you may do what ever you want to with it. In my neighbourhoods the things go a bit different. In fact the most cases turn out almost the same. But people's mind set slightly different.

I once put a note on this matter in some (ocassional) thread but it didn't take any attention. On my mind when a person gets an ownership of anything he automatically obtains responsibility of certain kind or grade. Nobody would argue that when someone drives a car he's responsible for any damage he may give to the surround. No matter he owns it at the time. It's just a sample. When we own an old rig it's a part of our history. And as long as we enjoy historical things we should care about the thing we have. And if someone else would do the same we may keep alot. I sure don't declare everyone MUST do things which are not prescribed by law. But if we just keep that idea somewhere in a back corner of our mind the grade of losses may be lower.

• Like 2

so true my friend. 

i think the big difference is we live in a disposable society. when it wears out or we get tired of it. we park it and forget about it. 

on your side of the world, if something wears out, you have to fix it, or do without. 

although from what i have read your lot has been getting better. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

21 hours ago, tjc transport said:

so true my friend. 

i think the big difference is we live in a disposable society. when it wears out or we get tired of it. we park it and forget about it. 

on your side of the world, if something wears out, you have to fix it, or do without. 

although from what i have read your lot has been getting better. 

General way of mind overhere is the same as on your coast. Or even worse. Some folks of newer generation got access to really big money. You know when a person has no experience dealing with lots of cash it doesn't turn out nice. So general tendency is to consume over than others could consume. Actually there's no culture of consume or it's just too young. There are some exceptions though but the most you meet is plenty of money and no mind or (pretty common in the two recent decades) no money but no intend to do job since you may cover your needs by what you already have. Or adding a few coins by stealing something. Overall actual cost of life is not really high here. The most people who used to work hard or just got to a "warm place" already have accomodations, a car, many travel to a sea coast once a year etc. Oil sells high and people here only boast they get nothing from what the government gets for oil. Actually those export $$$ go into internal consumption, straight way or making circles. Main issue I see the income comes into consumption and not into development. Straight ways are always simplier.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay on posting- was away for a few days.

Next up is this EQ. Cab is very rough as you can see, some small items still salvageable. Frame stamp number: EQ1D2772.

Has what looks to be an antique well drilling apparatus on the back. Would make awesome lawn art for anyone with a forgiving spouse. A lot of heavy steel here which makes it difficult to let go for cheap. I'm guessing around 10,000 pounds. Asking $1600 but please feel free to make a reasonable offer on this or any of the other trucks posted.

IMG_4283 2.JPG

IMG_4284 2.JPG

IMG_4285 2.JPG

IMG_4286 2.JPG

IMG_4287 2.JPG

IMG_4288 2.JPG

IMG_4290 2.JPG

Edited by Skwak
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone so far for a lot of interest. Next up is this AB. It is rough, pitted, and rusty, but is still a complete truck. Has been stored inside for many many years, but the building itself has seen better days. Finding market values on these seem to be tough so based off some input from others I'm going to ask $3000. Again please come take a look, make an offer, make it your next project. Thanks! 

DSC00161 2.JPG

DSC00162 2.JPG

DSC00163 2.JPG

DSC00164 2.JPG

DSC00165 2.JPG

DSC00166 2.JPG

DSC00167 2.JPG

DSC00168 2.JPG

DSC00169 2.JPG

DSC00170 2.JPG

DSC00171 2.JPG

DSC00172 2.JPG