• 2 weeks later...

Is your truck a single axle or a tandem? Tandem B's utilized (in the most cases) the same style carriers as later models did such as CRD92 and CRD93. So plenty of different ratio diffs could be swapped in. Sorry no help with single axles.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

22 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

We used to joke about the non-turbo 673s in the B-61s we had.  Seems they would run about as fast downhill as they would uphill.  Not very.

I read online a while back that a guy drove a 673 duplex back in the day, he said you needed all 10 gears because a toothpick would pull the thing down!

I have a 283/5spd out of an '80 gravel truck that i am planning on running. Only planning to pull my 5th wheel holiday trailer with it which is not very heavy. Was thinking to get a gear that would put me close to peak torque at 100KPH (60 MPH) so around 1200 RPMish for best fuel economy. Will be running 11R22.5's. I assume that the trans is direct in 5th but need to confirm that yet. 

Edited by Licensed to kill

15 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I would suggest sliding an air ride under the back with a faster gear.  Give you the best of both worlds.  That spring ride will beat that travel trailer to pieces!

Yup, that's the plan. Since it appears that I will be changing out the entire diff, I will just use one that already has air ride. Otherwise i was going to add it to the old diff. 

I met a fellow 20 yrs ago right after I got my truck.  He had a new set of springs made for the rear with only 3 main leaves.  He too pulled a travel trailer with it.  I did similar by just having my spring pack cut down to 3.  It worked well with my race trailer(only 3000# on the pin) until I finally did stretch my truck and add the air ride.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I am assuming that the 5spd has a direct high gear. If so, I would need a pretty tall rear to achieve the cruising RPM I was thinking of and that may compromise 1st gear and reverse (way too fast). So, based on my engine/trans (1980 283/5spd) and my intended purpose (pulling a holiday trailer) what would be a suitable rear gear with 11R 22.5 tires the would keep cruising RPM down to a dull roar?

I would install a 3.70 ratio rear on Neway ARD suspension as they are plentiful, and inexpensive. Sure lower, gearing will work also as you will have plenty of available engine power, but the pricing seems to skyrocket with the later model preferred gearsets and suspensions. I don't think you'd have problems with a 2.43 ratio but the cost......

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

2.43 would be pretty good but i would be concerned about reverse being way too fast. Just a guess as I have no clue what the reverse gear ratio actually is. Something in the 2.80 range (don't know what actual ratios are available) should put me at about 1400RPM @ 60mph which would be pretty good IMO, again, reverse ratio might be an issue. 

Like I told somebody on another thread, remember there are overdrive versions of those Maxitorque transmissions.  And, the 6-speed version adds a lower gear to boot.  And, you get 5 reverses.  Plus, you end up with 2 sticks, like God intended in a Mack!  Check out a TRXL-1070.

Or, you could go the masochistic route and put in a 13-speed Triplex or 18-speed Quadruplex.  Those are both "double-overdrive" boxes.  And, the lo-lo or lo-split reverses are plenty low.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I look at the one i have and could not find any  number resembling TRXL-1070. All I know about it is that it came behind a 283 in a 1980 and is twin stick. Having said that, I thought they ALL were twin stick with the extra low gear in the auxiliary box and that some called them 5 spd for the main box and others called them 6spd including the aux box but were talking about the same trans. I didn't know that some came with OD. Is there a number on it that would tell me for sure what I have?. 

There's one extended range that's a five speed with a second lever, but the high in the second lever only works in the main in  4th and 5th ?  IDK what model it is, but one of those and 4.17s ???   It'll have some top end then (lol)

7 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

I look at the one i have and could not find any  number resembling TRXL-1070. All I know about it is that it came behind a 283 in a 1980 and is twin stick. Having said that, I thought they ALL were twin stick with the extra low gear in the auxiliary box and that some called them 5 spd for the main box and others called them 6spd including the aux box but were talking about the same trans. I didn't know that some came with OD. Is there a number on it that would tell me for sure what I have?. 

Yours is probably a T107X, i think that is the right designation, a five speed main with a direct and low and reverse on the other stick. the TRXL 1070 is actually 3 boxes bolted together, the front is direct and low, then a five speed main, and then a direct and hi splitter. the dirtect and low can be a air switch on the dash or a second stick for the earlier ones, and the reverse and direct/hi split is on the shifter. and if this is not confusing enough, some early ones were a TRXL 107 witch did not have overdrive, direct all the way through in top gear.    terry:MackLogo: I once had a DM dump dump with that TRXL 1070 with 4.17's and it was a real runner. 

• Like 1

I don't exactly know what boxes y'all are talking about.  Might have been later versions.  But, there was a 5-speed with a single stick (TRL-107 series).  Then, there was a 6-speed "extended range" with 2 sticks (TRXL-107 series).  The "lo" on the compound was supposed to be used only in 1st gear.  That's your extra low gear.

Here is graphic showing some detail on the ones I am talking about.  The TRXL-1070 (or maybe it was a TRDXL-1070) would have been the same as the TRXL-107, but with "direct in 4th", and an overdrive 5th.  The "0" on the end of the number is the "overdrive" designation.

Model numbers were on the left side of the box.  There are several discussions on here that have pictures showing the location.

Somebody on here had the one I am talking about (TRDXL-1070).  Check out this link.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/56848-mack-trdxl-1070-questions/

image.png.90e60021338beee37557ba51e87aac1d.png

image.png.0c6b26ddd88f9a7c1ac795a57f25cd83.png

• Thanks 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Yeah weasel it can be pretty confusing. you are right on the TRXL 107 6speed that is the one i was  talking about when i said  T107X,  and that TRDXL 107 6 speed was a forerunner of the TRXL 107 series. and the TRXL 1070 or 12 speed is another variation yet! On the TRDXL 107 it was a 5speed main with a direct and low back box, the TRDXL 1070 was a 5 speed main with a direct and overdrive back box.  real clear now!😂   terry:MackLogo:

Edited by terry