It'll buff out

speerk

I watched a FDNJ truck go down a road in Brooklyn about 5 years ago and it tore 15 double parked cars apart with the big steel front push bumper.

And he was not tiptoeing down the road, he was going close to 20 mph.

After he went through the cops came through and wrote tickets for each one of the before towing them all away.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

19 hours ago, tjc transport said:

I watched a FDNJ truck go down a road in Brooklyn about 5 years ago and it tore 15 double parked cars apart with the big steel front push bumper.

And he was not tiptoeing down the road, he was going close to 20 mph.

After he went through the cops came through and wrote tickets for each one of the before towing them all away.

As a former firefighter, chauffer and line officer, I can tell you that 99/100 chauffers and the lieutenant riding the officers seat wouldn't have done that unless they were dispatched to a job where time meant lives, and the result was going to be that their rig would be out of service for months to repair it.  Only time I ever had to use the bumper was to push a car out of the way (parked illegally of course) that was blocking a fire hydrant.  No time for that famous photo op where the guys break the windows and run the LDH through the car, although I always wanted to do that.

The other trouble that FDNY has, is tail slap on the tower ladders, especially in the older parts of lower Manhattan and Brooklyn where the streets are one way, super narrow and parking is allowed on both sides.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

2 hours ago, General Ike said:

As a former firefighter, chauffer and line officer, I can tell you that 99/100 chauffers and the lieutenant riding the officers seat wouldn't have done that unless they were dispatched to a job where time meant lives,

agreed. they were on their way to a structure fire on the end of that block with entrapment. 

and there was no down time for the truck, it had a GIANT push plate out front. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I remember growing up there were these retirement villages in the next town and they had there own security with rent a cops and gates. The rent a cops wanted the fire trucks and ambulances to stop and wait for them to call the house before they could enter.

That ended when the chief ordered the brush truck, 5 ton ex military, with full cage to push trees out of the way to respond with the engines. In the entrance the engines stoped and the brush truck took the lead. Somehow the brush truck took out both guard shacks and gates in one pass. As the story goes from that day on they had no problem entering any retirement village in the area even without runnning lights and sirens. 

• Like 1