1965 Mack B815SX

On 1/22/2021 at 3:50 PM, Brocky said:

OR safe to go into????

i used to go in there with my pop,in the 60s,he drove for beacon fast freight.. place was way cool back then full of nothing but real truck drivers....and yes i am also surprized its still there,,,now probably full of sweat pants and flip flops...and yes you must be pissing yourself,with that good looking rig at home now...bob

Well,

I finally got around to doing some work and inspection on the B, all I have to say is WOW, clean and rust free is about as well as I can describe it, other than the surface rust on the fender tops and  grill guard, that's it.

As for the specs, It is a ENDT 675 with Jakes, it has a TRQ 720 quadraplex it has a 16K front axle and 65K rears with 9.34(!) gears.

I think it is an early Warren dump bed with a Warren underbody  twin cylinder hoist with no hyd tank and all air shift controls.

I have all of the chrome badges and trim work for the hood, except I have 3 half bulldogs for the left side of the hood and none for the right.

It is also missing the Mack nameplate for the upper radiator tank, but other than that the truck is in excellent shape with 1008 hours and 22,800 miles showing, (I'm assuming sine the restoration).

Edited by AMGeneral
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AMGeneral said:

Well,

I finally got around to doing some work and inspection on the B, all I have to say is WOW, clean and rust free is about as well as I can describe it, other than the surface rust on the fender tops and  grill guard, that's it.

As for the specs, It is a ENDT 675 with Jakes, it has a TRQ 720 quadraplex it has a 16K front axle and 65K rears with 9.34(!) gears.

I think it is an early Warren dump bed with a Warren underbody  twin cylinder hoist with no hyd tank and all air shift controls.

I have all of the chrome badges and trim work for the hood, except I have 3 half bulldogs for the left side of the hood and none for the right.

It is also missing the Mack nameplate for the upper radiator tank, but other than that the truck is in excellent shape with 1008 hours and 22,800 miles showing, (I'm assuming sine the restoration).

I've got right side Bulldogs used or new,Mack nameplate also.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AMGeneral said:

Well, most data sheets I can find list the TRQ 720 as having a .66 overdrive, it has 12.00 R24 tires that are about 49 1/2 inches tall.

Using an axle ratio calculator I found online, at 2000 rpm it should be about 47.8 mph

I replaced the suction hoses from the cylinders to the hyd pump this evening and refilled the system with fresh hyd oil, everything work as it should with no leaks.

Might as well run the speed calculator for 2100 RPMs, and it's a good thing you have that box at least it's the fastest one. And that tall rubber is great, until you have to buy some anyways LOL.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, Bigdogtrucker said:

Might as well run the speed calculator for 2100 RPMs, and it's a good thing you have that box at least it's the fastest one. And that tall rubber is great, until you have to buy some anyways LOL.

It says 50.19 for 2100 rpm, but then again I didn't expect it to be a interstate truck.

I really went from one extreme to the other in dump trucks here,

My R685 had 34K rears and a 10k front axle with no power steering and 6.34 gears, was only double framed from the rear motor mounts to just forward of the trunnion stand and weighed  20,800 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

This B815 on the other hand  has 65K rears geared 9.34 ,16K front axle with power steering and is triple framed  from the rear to just in front of the motor mounts, and I have no idea what it will weigh empty.  Time will tell.

Edited by AMGeneral
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tjc transport said:

wow. here in New Jersey tandem dumps are legal with 20 ton. 

my single axle is legal with

9 hours ago, tjc transport said:

wow. here in New Jersey tandem dumps are legal with 20 ton. 

my single axle is legal with 14 ton!!

14 ton!!

Yeah, here in NC, single axles can gross 33,000, a tandem tops out at 55,000, tri axles at 61,800 and a quad at 68,000 lbs, if it is a longer wheelbase you can apply for an extra 10% over I think.

Based on that I highly doubt I will ever over load the chassis on this truck.

• Like 1