Ford N-Series

doubleclutchinweasel

On 9/2/2020 at 9:13 AM, kscarbel2 said:

That pickup truck cab was cramped, particularly with the large steering wheel.

Ford raised up the roof on those twice for more clearance.  The truck in the first picture has the tallest roof.

I helped a friend restore a 1965 F-100.  Nice little truck, but that cab was small and tinny compared to GM and Dodge those years.  Really rust-prone in the A pillars and step wells too. 

13 hours ago, GA_Dave said:

Engine 41, Washington FD, Washington Court House, OH

1965 Ford NT-850/Marion Body Company

750/1300

E41WashingtonCourtHouseOH.jpg

I hope there wasn't a LOT of tank behind the tandems, as that thing would be interesting to steer even with the front mount pump. If the tank goes to the back of the body that would put in the neighborhood of 2500-2800# of weight behind the tandems.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Here's a picture off the internet that someone posted of an old Ford N-Series.

Anybody remember driving one of these?  I never drove one, but I used to see a lot of them around home, back when the world was young and so was I...

I never could figure out if they were a thing of beauty, or if they were...uhhh..."aesthetically challenged".  But they sure had a tough look to them.

Ford N-series tandem chassis cab | Big ford trucks, Trucks, Ford trucks

"Aesthetically challenged" seemed to be a common theme with LCF's. It is true with the GMC 860 in other dog's recent post and the Dodge C model. They both look cobbled together, but look odd and good at the same time. The Dodge has a cab that doesn't fit the front end and a conventional hood that was cut down to fit - except it doesn't fit at the front corners.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terry T said:

I hope there wasn't a LOT of tank behind the tandems, as that thing would be interesting to steer even with the front mount pump. If the tank goes to the back of the body that would put in the neighborhood of 2500-2800# of weight behind the tandems.

As I recall, the tank ended about where the door latch handle on the rear compartment is.  The rear half of that compartment went all the way through to the other side of the body, except where the dump pipe passed through.  From the rear, the back wall went up to above that compartment, then indented to the tank and went vertical again up to the hose bed.  The dump valve was located in the center of the lower wall.  It has been about 30 years since I took that shot, so my recollection may be a bit fuzzy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Terry T said:

They didn't want to spring for power steering😎

• Haha 2

Great memories I owned a 64 pickup one of the best vehicles I’ve ever had but best of all, my pop was a city driver for beacon fast freight from 64-68 ... driving one .he used to pick me and my sister up in front of our house and drive us to the yard it was on the way to the terminal when he was finished with his route  ..... good times... his boss was ok with it then we would all drive home in his 60 Chevy ... yaaaaaaaaaahooooooo ... bob