Eastwood and Summit Shipping Charges

VaPatentman

Wish Eastwood and Summit would be more honest on their shipping. I have ordered from both of them on many occasions and will continue to do so. Recently, I have ordered items that weigh no more than a few ounces. Yet Summit charged $10.99 and Eastwood charged $15.26. In both cases they could have been sent in an envelope with 2- stamps. Oh well, I will get off my soapbox….

• Like 2

I agree. Yesterday I ordered a 16 oz bottle of Fast Etch from Eastwood  $18.99. The bill was $37.35 with shipping and maybe handling. Almost double. If  I can  TP Tools & Equipment is my first choice as their prices for the same item are cheaper and shipping is cheaper.

Stop living in the past,  you have any idea of the cost to ship any small package, think of ll the people it took to get your package to you, order taker, picker, boxer, trip to dock, truck driver another truck driver , maybe a plane ride and all these people have health care cost that have soared, truck prices and insurance cost have rocketed out of site and you complain about shipping costs  ??    

Shippings crazy. I recently ordered an insulated pair of bib overalls and a light jacket liner from Aramark. They charged me $84 shipping and handling. Nuts! They were suppose to (in my understanding) drop it off via the guy who does our uniform drop every week. I got hosed!!! It’s a side hustle these joints, that’s why they won’t delegate it to the drop -off workers. 

• Like 1

Lucky I live 15 minutes from Summit Racing.

Too common that shipping is more then the part.  I just order more to make it worth while.  Hell you're paying all that cost, might as well get something.

I agree, nothing is cheap anymore.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yes,but leave the wallet and credit cards at home.It been a while since I’ve been there,it a little small but if your are looking for restoration tools and supplies it’s the place to go.Now TP tools is really worth it.It to been sometime since I been there but with the restored cars they have on display.Thats about a 6 hour ride for me.

Got my Eastwood shipment today. Called the local post office and the cost to ship it back was $11.55.  Eastwoods  cost to me  was $18.36.  $ 6.81 difference seems a somewhat high for taxes and handling. Some places have no handling charges on orders over $ 10.00. I have no problem with the post office charges. As I indicated  before I think Eastwood is adding cost to their items. Do they add handling charges or they built in with the items cost ?  Their prices seem high to other places so I think the handling is built in to the Item cost. 

• Like 1

I know it might rub some people the wrong way but you can get the same parts through Amazon and with prime you get 2 day free shipping. I’ve bought lots of parts for my Willys on there and they’re brand named parts like Omix-Ada. Not always the cheapest but usually with a little shopping is and free shipping to boot. If you haven’t thought about getting car parts, shop supplies through amazon it may be worth a look. I know online shopping like that has opened up a whole new world to me. There is one little parts store where I live and if you don’t have a business they charge you around 40% more than the people who have businesses. I know this because a friend who has a business told me about this practice and if I’m in dire need he will pick the part up. Before that it was 120 mile round trip to the parts store for me so now that amazon and eBay have everything on them I’m more than happy to keep my local ups man busy delivering to me. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:32 AM, VaPatentman said:

Wish Eastwood and Summit would be more honest on their shipping. I have ordered from both of them on many occasions and will continue to do so. Recently, I have ordered items that weigh no more than a few ounces. Yet Summit charged $10.99 and Eastwood charged $15.26. In both cases they could have been sent in an envelope with 2- stamps. Oh well, I will get off my soapbox….

Hell, I ordered some carburetor studs, a spacer, and a couple gaskets from Jegs...and they showed up in a box big enough for my boy (1 year old at the time) to climb into & lay down. Could've easily been sent USPS in a priority envelope for a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

3 hours ago, eddeere said:

Got my Eastwood shipment today. Called the local post office and the cost to ship it back was $11.55.  Eastwoods  cost to me  was $18.36.  $ 6.81 difference seems a somewhat high for taxes and handling. Some places have no handling charges on orders over $ 10.00. I have no problem with the post office charges. As I indicated  before I think Eastwood is adding cost to their items. Do they add handling charges or they built in with the items cost ?  Their prices seem high to other places so I think the handling is built in to the Item cost. 

You packed it and delivered to post office, pay someone to pack and deliver to post office and let's see your costs   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david wild said:

You packed it and delivered to post office, pay someone to pack and deliver to post office and let's see your costs   

Less than $1 for the box (bought wholesale in bulk). Shipping label is a few pennies, printed directly off your website. If an employee can only process 2 or 3 small orders per hour, they wouldn't work for me long. For an employee making $15/hr, you're talking $1.25 tops in labor...for a real slow-poke. Should be less than half of that. In other words, we're talking a whopping buck or two as reasonable...not the $20+ some of these places try to get away with. Had a friend a long time ago that sold computer stuff...used to brag how he'd make bank on shipping. Sell parts/service cheap. Supply shipping labels to customers to ship on his accounts. Gouge them on the "shipping" charges. That was 20 years ago...game doesn't seem to have changed much.

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

On 4/18/2020 at 12:18 PM, HeavyGunner said:

I know it might rub some people the wrong way but you can get the same parts through Amazon and with prime you get 2 day free shipping. I’ve bought lots of parts for my Willys on there and they’re brand named parts like Omix-Ada. Not always the cheapest but usually with a little shopping is and free shipping to boot. If you haven’t thought about getting car parts, shop supplies through amazon it may be worth a look. I know online shopping like that has opened up a whole new world to me. There is one little parts store where I live and if you don’t have a business they charge you around 40% more than the people who have businesses. I know this because a friend who has a business told me about this practice and if I’m in dire need he will pick the part up. Before that it was 120 mile round trip to the parts store for me so now that amazon and eBay have everything on them I’m more than happy to keep my local ups man busy delivering to me. 

I bought a new CB radio when I got the last new truck- which is just like the old truck except it has 2 big stainless steel breathers outside of the hood.They are presumably there to create more wind resistance and to obstruct your vision.

I'd been using a Road King radio that I bought at a Love's Truck stop because my old Connex needed some work. I've had the Connex since I drove the Peterbilt, many years ago...anyhow, it was too big to cram into the overhead CB putting spot so I bought a new Stryker radio that was smaller, it was made to cram into the CB putting place, and performed as good as the Connex- so they said.

Stryker.jpg.dd4048a8f3904bda1b104c1c3839fc47.jpg

I really like the radio- it shows your SWR every time you key the mike. I shortened the antenna an eighth of an inch at a time until I got that 1.1.

P1020324.JPG.4dd214096fc8e557d009e69706e88917.JPG

I didn't want to use the cheap fiberglass antennas with it that came on the truck,  I wanted another Wilson 2000 like I had on the Pete. They were about $80 at truck stops, so I decided to check Amazon. $42. I ordered one, and don't feel bad one tiny little bit for ordering it online. I try to support local binnesses when I can, but no truck stop is out to do anybody any favors, they stick it to you at every opportunity.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

9 minutes ago, other dog said:

I bought a new CB radio when I got a new truck. I'd been using a Road King radio that I bought at a Love's Truck stop because my old Connex needed some work. I've had the Connex since I drove the Peterbilt, many years ago...anyhow, it was too big to cram into the overhead CB putting spot so I bought a new Stryker radio that was smaller, it was made to cram into the CB putting place, and performed as good as the Connex- so they said. I didn't want to use the cheap fiberglass antennas with it that came on the truck,  I wanted another Wilson 2000 like I had on the Pete. They were about $80 at truck stops, so I decided to check Amazon. $42. I ordered one, and don't feel bad one tiny little bit for ordering it online. I try to support local binnesses when I can, but no truck stop is out to do anybody any favors, they stick it to you at every opportunity.

Going off topic some but have you ever tried a Uniden cb?  Just curious because I don’t see or hear of them very often except for logging and construction outfits (the ones I talk to) swear by them. I’ve got one that came in a pickup I bought from a logger and it seems to work fine, it is very small. I’d guess 4 1/2” wide, 9 or so inches long and about an inch thick. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

4 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Going off topic some but have you ever tried a Uniden cb?  Just curious because I don’t see or hear of them very often except for logging and construction outfits (the ones I talk to) swear by them. I’ve got one that came in a pickup I bought from a logger and it seems to work fine, it is very small. I’d guess 4 1/2” wide, 9 or so inches long and about an inch thick. 

I had a Uniden radio years ago, haven't had one since, that was probably in the 90's, maybe 80's.

Connex and Stryker are "black box" export radios.  No real limitations on power so they do much more then the legal 4 watts in the USA.  Thus many guys like them.  I have three Unidens and a President Madison base.

TP tools is like 45 minutes easy of me.  Been by it, but not in it.  We do buy stuff for work through them for blast cabinets.

We have an Eastwood store about an hour north.  Never been there, but salesman at work did go up and buy a plasma cutter last year.

Sure seems like I'm in the right part of the world when it comes to stores.  The McMaster Carr is 45 minutes north also. I get same day service for them if you get the order in soon enough in the morning.

Jegs is 2 hrs south, but don't buy much there.  I do shop around and will use Amazon if need be.  I do try to use local small shops if I can.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

52 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Connex and Stryker are "black box" export radios.  No real limitations on power so they do much more then the legal 4 watts in the USA.  Thus many guys like them.  I have three Unidens and a President Madison base.

TP tools is like 45 minutes easy of me.  Been by it, but not in it.  We do buy stuff for work through them for blast cabinets.

We have an Eastwood store about an hour north.  Never been there, but salesman at work did go up and buy a plasma cutter last year.

Sure seems like I'm in the right part of the world when it comes to stores.  The McMaster Carr is 45 minutes north also. I get same day service for them if you get the order in soon enough in the morning.

Jegs is 2 hrs south, but don't buy much there.  I do shop around and will use Amazon if need be.  I do try to use local small shops if I can.

Yep, that second knob from the left lets you adjust your output power too, it was on about 15 watts when I took that picture, but I usually run it at about 10 watts.They told me when I bought this radio that it does have some over-heating issues, especially in an enclosed space, that's why it had all the cooling fins on the back of it.

I bought it on-line too, from  https://www.cbradiosplus.com/ great people to deal with. I bought the Connex from them too.

• 1 year later...

The shipping of the small packages was always expensive-looking, coz you are ordering the item for 18$ and paying 18$ for delivery. Personally, I'm trying to make a big order to short the shipment price. Let's not forget about the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, so companies raised the shipment expenses. Not all delivery workers want to risk and work at these times. Also, what tracking sites do you guys use to check the delivery status of your packages? I use this one postsendungsverfolgung.com for DHL/Hermes/DPD delivery methods.

Edited by llarisaabramova