Jump to content

Tandem REO Oil Tanker Rescue


j hancock
 Share

Recommended Posts

V8 gas engine by the hood ornaments, and probably a duplex or triplex trans. could not make out the shift pattern on the dash. 

Edited by tjc transport

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tjc transport said:

it looked to me like they were using chains to pull it out, except for the snatch strap on the pickup.

Hah- look at the beginning.  the guy  would have about 6' of slack in the tow rope and then he would accelerate.  Unreal.  Must be it was not his truck or his strap😆  But they  get an "A" for effort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

that is the way snatch straps are designed to work....sorta. 

give it about a foot or so of slack and go for it. as the strap stretches it builds tension and finally acts like a giant rubber band multiplying the pull force. .

unfortunately people thing if one foot is good, 6 foot is better. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

that is the way snatch straps are designed to work....sorta. 

give it about a foot or so of slack and go for it. as the strap stretches it builds tension and finally acts like a giant rubber band multiplying the pull force. .

unfortunately people thing if one foot is good, 6 foot is better. 

Well I guess I'm the dummy then- learn something new every day.  If I  saw my kids doing it when they were like 14 I would have been barking at them.😎

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or you can just ease into it and as you slowly stretch the line  the elasticity of it is pulling. Works the same as hitting the end of the strap with speed without all of the jerking and jarring. 
https://youtu.be/mnljd9Dqxzs

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Or you can just ease into it and as you slowly stretch the line  the elasticity of it is pulling. Works the same as hitting the end of the strap with speed without all of the jerking and jarring. 
https://youtu.be/mnljd9Dqxzs

Thx-always thought they were "Harbor Freight" gimmics.  I've got one strap-for lifting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, tjc transport said:

V8 gas engine by the hood ornaments, and probably a duplex or triplex trans. could not make out the shift pattern on the dash. 

Yeah, REO Gold Comet V-8.  Really be something if they could get that running again, but parts are extinct.  Wish they got some shots of the engine, torch cutting studs is not that exciting.......  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those straps are good but you do not want to put anything heavy on the end if they come loose it becomes a projectile. A few years ago a farmer was killed when one with a large metal hook went thru the back of his tractor cab window. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, eddeere said:

Those straps are good but you do not want to put anything heavy on the end if they come loose it becomes a projectile. A few years ago a farmer was killed when one with a large metal hook went thru the back of his tractor cab window. 

Lots of companies are making a nylon? clevis. Basically a big knot on one end and a loop on the other. Run/wrap the loop end around what you are pulling from and push it through the loop on the end of the tow rope and push the knot end through the loop end of the clevis.  https://www.bubbarope.com/gator-jaw-pro-synthetic-shackle

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

Yeah, REO Gold Comet V-8.  Really be something if they could get that running again, but parts are extinct.  Wish they got some shots of the engine, torch cutting studs is not that exciting.......  

seems like all that work to pull it outa there,,,,might as well restore it now,,,,seems this fella just wants to use it for his bussiness...sign....i say fix it up and drive it.lol.bob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eddeere said:

Those straps are good but you do not want to put anything heavy on the end if they come loose it becomes a projectile. A few years ago a farmer was killed when one with a large metal hook went thru the back of his tractor cab window. 

that is why you should always drape something over the strap to hold it down if it breaks. 

i had  a winch cable snap once, the blanket over the cable dropped it rite to the ground. 

 i also saw a guy get cut almost in half when a cable snapped. he said "we don't need a cable blanket" about 45 seconds before he died. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen it on an aircraft carrier and it's not pretty what it did to the side of an A6 Intruder and an aircraft tug. Amazing and through sheer afterburning power the F/A-18A was able to get back off the deck and survive. I can only imagine how a human being would fare. I've parted several cables over the years winching equipment and vehicles. You ALWAYS watch the cable and when it starts unraveling, (you can see this) get off the power. A watchful eye and head on a swivel will help keep you alive.

  • Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rob said:

I've seen it on an aircraft carrier and it's not pretty what it did to the side of an A6 Intruder and an aircraft tug. Amazing and through sheer afterburning power the F/A-18A was able to get back off the deck and survive. I can only imagine how a human being would fare. I've parted several cables over the years winching equipment and vehicles. You ALWAYS watch the cable and when it starts unraveling, (you can see this) get off the power. A watchful eye and head on a swivel will help keep you alive.

That's gotta be something to see....those jets landing on an aircraft carrier. Just mind blowing what they can do. Hard to imagine it's even possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...