MB steering wheel

I'm on the search for a B model to call my own and in the meantime I found a MB Mack cabover that is pretty much ruined by a claw in a junkyard. Theres almost nothing salvageable on the truck. I was unable to reach the engine though. Anyway, the steering wheel on this truck is nice. It's the mint green color.  Does anyone know offhand if this wheel would fit a B? Also would any of these engine components fit a B? Looking to pick up pieces that I may need later on or maybe trade for parts I need. Thanks in advance from a new poster!

Wheel should be the same but also a lot of MB owners would jump at a nice wheel. What engine and trans does it have?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If you find no use for the wheel I'm the 1st in the line to look what it is.

Of engine components you could find use of many parts. Basically the most inline Mack diesel engines utilazed the same design so there are possibilities to swap cylinder heads, crank shafts, oil pumps, pans, flywheels, starters etc including a chance to put complete engine with some mods. Sure plenty of minor differences were made to parts during the years but handy to have a spare Mack engine of a close design anyway.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

3 hours ago, Frank Y said:

I found a MB Mack cabover that is pretty much ruined by a claw in a junkyard. Theres almost nothing salvageable on the truck. I was unable to reach the engine though. Anyway, the steering wheel on this truck is nice. It's the mint green color.

OMG! The horror! l need to find my safe space quickly! 🏃‍♂️  lol  Mine should have the green wheel but, Overnite replaced it with a black one. l'm going to leave it as it was when it was retired from service. Please no pictures of whats left of the one in the junkyard. 😭   .....Hippy  

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Next time Im there ill pull the steering wheel and any other parts that may look decent. I think the truck is missing its wheels so most likely engine parts are going to be difficult. Does the cab tip on these or does the doghouse get removed to access the engine?

On 3/12/2020 at 3:10 PM, 70mackMB said:

OMG! The horror! l need to find my safe space quickly! 🏃‍♂️  lol  Mine should have the green wheel but, Overnite replaced it with a black one. l'm going to leave it as it was when it was retired from service. Please no pictures of whats left of the one in the junkyard. 😭   .....Hippy  

i used to run with a UPS driver,a few years back,,and he was going to give me a brand new dark green one in the box,,,for my DM....that he got from work,,,UPS was going to throw it out,because it was outdated,and they didnt need it,,,so this guy took it home......shortly after,,,i switched runs,,,and lost touch with the guy..im sure he still has it,,,but i dont know how to get ahold of him...bob

36 minutes ago, mowerman said:

you can buy a reconditioned mint wheel thru watts B model store,,,,but thier real expensive,,,but very much available....bob

Any idea how much? I got a quote of $2,000 to recast my steering wheel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank Y said:

Does the cab tip on these or does the doghouse get removed to access the engine?

The cab tips forward. The locking handle and safety latch releases are at the right rear corner of the cab. lf the truck is headed downhill, pay attention when you push the cab over. There is nothing to hold it back once it starts over center till it hits the stops. Headed uphill it may take two of ya to tip it up.    .....Hippy

Could one of you guys post a photo of an original MB wheel? I have a black one in the shop with an aluminum horn button that is black and silver. I don't know what the wheel is from but it is smaller than an R series used although the larger opening than a B series on the bottom. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Could one of you guys post a photo of an original MB wheel? I have a black one in the shop with an aluminum horn button that is black and silver. I don't know what the wheel is from but it is smaller than an R series used although the larger opening than a B series on the bottom. 

From my MB sale catalog.

click to enlarge.

MackMB007-vi.thumb.jpg.7462cf5aff50856f4dad5e01f7a8d4ad.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks Paul;

The wheel I have appears to have the same horn button but the bottom is more like an R model steering mast jacket, (larger base circle) where the photo is more like the B series steering column.

I'm going from memory however which is not all that good any longer.....

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Thanks Paul;

The wheel I have appears to have the same horn button but the bottom is more like an R model steering mast jacket, (larger base circle) where the photo is more like the B series steering column.

I'm going from memory however which is not all that good any longer.....

The  O.D. of the MB steering column jacket is close to the B unit maybe slightly larger bit not so it would be noticeable.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here are a few of the 20" wheel I have. Don't think it's from an MB as described:

image.jpeg.10c5064937c4a03b5bc8e2c8c672087e.jpeg

image.jpeg.55c346cf1c1697dd4fea0b93175bb18d.jpeg

image.jpeg.1904c54cd0cabe91148cfc25fc456e6c.jpeg

Looks to be 1.00" 36 spline count so appropriate for a mack steering shaft.

I've still not figured out where it came from.

Many of the early City Spec Municipal MB's had that set up to help driver fatigue. 

P.T.CHESHIRE

5 hours ago, mowerman said:

You know Rob I think that black steering wheel looks like MR to me ... bob

Thanks Bob;

Never was around any of those and it sounds plausible.

Think I'm going to try it on my R612 as I'd like to have a smaller wheel in that truck.

28 minutes ago, Brian L Blaylock said:

I would have to get out the tape measure and measure to be exact but my B-615 with factory power steering has a smaller steering wheel than my manual steering B-61

My B-67 has a 20" wheel and I wouldn't want a larger one in there. It is manual steering but not hard to turn best I remember.

I put a later steering wheel onto one of my R models from a donor cab and really like it. That one has power steering.

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Thanks Bob;

Never was around any of those and it sounds plausible.

Think I'm going to try it on my R612 as I'd like to have a smaller wheel in that truck.

Well I prefer the stock wheels but those are definitely cool as well,,, if your looking for a smaller one .... bob