Engines Mack has used

I was watching a show (Machinery of the Past) on the Rural Channel we have hear. A guy had an old Mack, I think it was 1930's? Anyway he said Mack used International motors at the time.

I have never heard this? I'm thinking the guy was just mis-informed because Mack started out as International Motor Truck Company.

So am I right or did Mack ever source an engine from International Harvester?

I've seen several IH RD series engines in B models but cannot attest to any being factory installed. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

44 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Binder engine as a retrofit not an OEM installation.

That would be my assumption. Used to be a pretty common swap and almost looked at home under the hood. Farmer around here has a B-42T w/IH RD-450 from an original R-190 series tractor. I set the engine in there with a wrecker for them and it was a slip fit.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks guys. This truck pre-dated the B Model. I forgot what model it was. It was 1920's or 30's. But the guy was saying Mack used International motors in them because at the time they did not make their own engines.

So I didn't know if that was true or not.

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

Thanks guys. This truck pre-dated the B Model. I forgot what model it was. It was 1920's or 30's. But the guy was saying Mack used International motors in them because at the time they did not make their own engines.

So I didn't know if that was true or not.

Well Mack made their own engines since atleast the AC which were built during WW1 so we know that much isn’t true, so what’s to say the rest is?

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

20 minutes ago, Mike Harbison said:

Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken but I'm sure Mack has built it's own engine since the very 1st bus in 1900.

That is my understanding. 

20 hours ago, mowerman said:

chrysler,,and renault is all i know about......of coarse the cat , cummings,and detroit......bob

I will add the Mack factory used several of the smaller Continental gasoline engines in certain models.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Mike Harbison is correct.  Mack has built their own engines from the beginning.  Mack Juniors and Seniors were Mack designed and built.  Being interested in early Macks for the last 55+ years, I have run into many "experts" that called Mack part of IHC and other such rubbish because of the corporate name, International Motor Co.  Take a look at the book "Mack" by John Montville someday.  Came out in 1974, but they are around. Very well researched and written by a very nice fellow. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...