1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

those human hoist creepers are way too expensive for my blood. well over $1000

yea WELL OVER. They are about $13,000!!!

I might give a go at building one when I don't have anything to do. Which will be never.

Mack 11E.jpg

4 hours ago, Rob said:

I have several friends whom swear by, and at them. Never been on one myself as remember all too well blowing groceries on the "Zipper" ride at a carnival from being upside down. 

Karen can't use it.   She tried it once, I didn't get her level and she was panicking.  If I don't use it all the time, I can't get my back to pop.  Once I get back on my regimen I can feel myself "pop, pop, pop" as my vertebrae expands.  Feels good.

11 hours ago, Rob said:

I used to do that too back around the same time, but haven't in several years now. Having a definite fear of anything resembling work, coupled with a steadfast lack of ability to hold a real job, has kinda made me soft and sluggish; I guess. I've avoided the aches and pains of aging and wearing out by simply keeping a chair planted firmly on the floor for a lot of years.

LOL!!!  I'm glad I know you better then that.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

29 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Karen can't use it.   She tried it once, I didn't get her level and she was panicking.  If I don't use it all the time, I can't get my back to pop.  Once I get back on my regimen I can feel myself "pop, pop, pop" as my vertebrae expands.  Feels good.

LOL!!!  I'm glad I know you better then that.

Local Dick's Sporting Goods store sells them and I'm told about half are returned for one reason or another. Don't know why but they must not be for everybody. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Buddy used one for years, that is why I bought one.  I got mine off Amazon, a real Teeter version.  I like it, but the latest commercial shows another improvement in the design.  The foot latch on mine is right at your ankles.  Well, when your back is screwed up , you can't touch your ankles. which makes it a real BITCH to get yourself out of it when you are done.  Karen had to do it for me at first.  The new model has a long lever to latch your feet, which I'm sure makes it much easier for a person with back issues to use.  I've poked around mine trying to figure out how to get the spring latch apart so I can weld an extension on it.   Might just have to take the whole thing to the garage and do it while assembled?  Surely be a nice improvement, but hasn't been a big enough issue to cart it outside and change it(yet).

Funny story.  When I ordered mine a few years back, I was really jacked up....BAD!  When it arrived I couldn't get it in the house.  Box was way too heavy.  Had to dismantle it outside and Karen had to help be drag parts inside to assemble.   Within a few weeks of daily use, I was much better.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

Had a buddy at DFW with one and we installed a reversing gear motor so there was nothing to fiddle with. You'd get in, push a button on the remote and it would rotate you around one way, reverse, and rotate the other. Of course it would just rotate in a single direction too if desired. Did a real good job working both sides. He used it watcing the tube often and it worked good. It had stirrups you put your feet into and a velcro belt around your ankles. No real mechanical closure at all.  

I never did ride it however. Climbing a 300ft. tower is less of a challenge for me than an inversion table. 

I wouldn't want something around the house to stretch out with as another fear I have is "Momma" seeing it as another way to go "medieval" on my ass..... 

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Once you balance the teeter, getting it to flip over is as easy as raising your hands over your head.  Then move them to your side to flip back.  I could see a real PITA situation if that motor fails at some point!!!  UGH<  help I'm stuck upside down!!!!   Manually it's easy-peasy.

The Velcro would be easier, if you left a big enough string to pull without having to bend over.  I guess it all depends on your own situation and mobility. 

I'll let you climb all the 300 ft towers you want.  I'll stay hanging upside on the ground!!!  LOL!!

Larry

That gearmotor could be disengaged with a lever but we never incorporated it. A other guy I know had one and you balanced it as you say and was easy to use. Too flimsy of build and returned but he replaced it with another I never seen. 

I'm done with the tower work but it sure was fun when the weather was warm. Cold, not so much..... 

Edited by Rob

Really wouldn't be too difficult to orient two pneumatic horizontal stroking cylinders through a scissor action linkage to elevate the platform. A small air receiver charged with shop air would actuate the cylinders several times before being depleted. 

at 63....i dont have too many health issues....but im just getting lazier and i find it a little difficult to to get up from a creeper....is about it....kneeling does hurt my knees,,,,but my wife turned me on to knee pads,,,,man what a differance....got it covered...lol.bob

Have two friends whom are A&P's and they have that same creeper. Never knew the brand but they do work well in the application.

Being aviation related, they are a few $$$ to acquire but do seem to hold up well.

46 minutes ago, mowerman said:

at 63....i dont have too many health issues....but im just getting lazier and i find it a little difficult to to get up from a creeper....is about it....kneeling does hurt my knees,,,,but my wife turned me on to knee pads,,,,man what a differance....got it covered...lol.bob

At times I do wear knee pads but it's only when cutting or grinding something to keep metal shards out of my knees and pants. Usually don't think nuthin about plopping down on the kneecaps on the shop floor, but it is hard on the blue jeans and I'd wager these days knee pads would be less expensive than pants.

1 hour ago, tenfive0 said:

I'm guessing there's a safety switch or pressure relief valve on the human hoist? I'd hate to crush myself to the bottom of my truck between the frame rails.

You know that would happen too

14 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

You know that would happen too

It looks like there are handles left and right. It appears you have to pull and hold both handles to raise the lift. I guess if you squish or crush yourself to the bottom of the truck you will eventually render yourself unconscious and release one or both handles.

I've been watching a few videos. One video says only to be used by trained personnel or individuals. I wouldn't be in to much of a hurry coming out from under the truck while on the lift raising it while rolling. You'd have to be conscious to the fact while rolling to be clear from under the truck before raising yourself or you might put a dent in the truck or worse wind up with a dent in your head. **WARNING**  No lifting while rolling while coming out from under the truck.

These things are so expensive probably because of the lawyers they have to keep on retainer and the insurance premium they pay.  

Mack 11E.jpg

On 3/1/2020 at 12:55 AM, Quickfarms said:

Do to a knee injury I can not use knee pads but have been forced to use kneeling pads for the last 25 or so years

I have found that even a piece of corrugated cardboard helps a lot

small  piece of 2 in Styrofoam  works great. big enough to kneel on. will stand up to wet conditions better than cardboard also, 

On 2/29/2020 at 11:44 PM, Rob said:

At times I do wear knee pads but it's only when cutting or grinding something to keep metal shards out of my knees and pants. Usually don't think nuthin about plopping down on the kneecaps on the shop floor, but it is hard on the blue jeans and I'd wager these days knee pads would be less expensive than pants.

ever notice the  jeans today. they pay MORE to buy   jeans already with rips in them !!!  they call it style . I have good set of knee pads; damage done. knees are bad shape after all the yrs of  kneeing on concrete , under iron  . challenge now is to get grandson (driver-mechanic ) to take better condition of himself.  don't lift the brake drum, wear the ear plugs etc. I didn't listen 45 +yrs ago.  boy do I "pay"for it every day now. 

• Like 2

gave up on tie shoes, it's the Velcro or slip on for me. LOL  . how do you expect me to bend way down there to tie a shoe.  fell 17 + - ft through a roof  yrs ago landed on concrete ; that hasn't helped the back either. don't worry about dropping tools, now I double check I have all the tools I need before laying down on creeper.  job of standing back up !!!  thanks to this great site, interest back to 1/25th scale trucks;; much easier.  sit at table and pick up that transmission or cab in one hand. 😁😁 

• Like 2

Yes, that is the creeper I saw.  Had no idea it would cost 13K !!!!  If I think about it too long, I will begin to believe I can build one, then the real trouble begins.  We own a steel fab shop, and from experience, I know that why buy something for 13K when you could build it yourself for only 50K.  That aerocreeper looked nice also. 

On 2/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, Freightrain said:

Ah shoot Hank...um, Dave.  I was hoping you'd get all practiced up and come swap my transmission(when I do find one).

I'm only working on half way through my 50's and I pay for every little thing I do anymore.  I'd suggest you all get stock in Aleve as I'm buying more then I ever thought I would?

I can't keep things in my hands anymore.  Just last week, working at my local machine shop cleaning engine parts I'm walking with a rod/piston in my right hand.  Three steps away from where I was going, my right hand just decided it didn't want to hold on anymore.  I did a quick two step to try to get my foot in the way so my much too expensive piston/rod didn't bounce off the concrete.  It almost work.  Only pinch the oil ring land in one spot!!!  Dammit.

had open heart surgery in '15. since then my left hand will :without notice lock up .i'm left -handed.  when some one talks about the great "golden yrs" tell  them go pound sand..  imagine all of us ole timers ending up in same nursing home , the stories we could tell;; if we can remember them , 😄😄,LOL  do  you think they would make a wheel chair with twin sticks like a quad,, :bmod_trac:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1