W-71 masquerading as an H

As it goes all W-71's were day cabs. There were several that were converted to integral sleepers at or near the Mack factory. All W-71's do have a rib in the roof line if they are sleeper cabs, that is the splice line from the day cab conversion. Dr Bill's day cab W-71 had a small sleeper box added and is now at Keystone.

Still one of the best looking cab overs made and happens to be a Mack. Same chassis as an LT.

• Like 2

Anyone have a “list” of the W models left? Seeing as there’s so few known I’m waiting on another story like Dr. Bill’s where he found it in a gravel pit on a road trip one day. I know not many were made but I feel like there’s more still out there...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

Orville Speciality Steel Company built most of the extended sleeper cabs out of the day cabs for all the east coast truck manufacturers during late 40's to 50's. I have a letter and pictures from one of the original employees (no 3) that I have been trying to find in my boxes so that I can post here. He was a WW11 vet and in his letter he described how they built the extended cabs. Hopefully  can dig up the info soon 

• Like 1

The W model shown is now in Tony Champion's collection in Australia. That particular sleeper add on was done by Able of Los Angeles. I would say there are at least 4 different style of sleeper add ons to the 

W model by different body builders.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cncFireman said:

I found this one in my internet travels. From what I can tell it appears it may be in Croatia. 

https://shufti.blog/2017/07/27/coe-mack-truck/

It's written overthere " It’s a W-71. Somewhat rare, certainly rare here on the island. This one came off a farm, has the extended cab for sleeper. Cab interior pretty rough but restorable.  "

Croatia is definitely not an Island, it's on the mainland.

If you look over the 2nd picture you can see Freigtliner parked to the left of Mack. If you zoom you can read "comoxpacific.com" on its right door. And if you go to that website you will find that's a ferry company serving Vancouver island. https://www.comoxpacific.com/

Pretty interesting anyway.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Found a couple of pictures in this book on google books. Page 104. I'm sure there are a least a few more W71s waiting to be found. 

https://books.google.com/books?id=RzBuztln0pUC&pg=PA104&dq=Mack+W71&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHmb6D753nAhVLrp4KHbOWBf8Q6AEwAHoECAIQAg#v=onepage&q=Mack W71&f=false