Hanks truck pictures

james j neiweem

Hanks truck pictures has disappeared. I guess it was overwhelming to keep track of the website and there was a lot of hacking and virus activity going on. My question is where are all of the truck pictures domiciled.  There were hundreds of photo input personnel and thousands of pictures. Are these all the property of Hank Jr?  Seems like the photo contributors would have some input as to where their photo contributions should have gone. A few can be found on sites such as Photo bucket and facebook. Truck enthusiasts have suffered a great loss by no longer having these historic truck and fleet pictures available. I am sure people would pay to have access again.

Seems silly to punish the fine people in the truck hobby world. People keep this exclusivity up the trucking history, knowledge and hobby will soon disappear. I don’t get it, if I post a picture online I don’t expect only the people I like or approve of are going to use it for whatever they like. That’s why I’m very choose-y with what I share. I understand if someone is making money off of your picture but photo chopping, backgrounds, wallpapers or whatever else who cares?  It’s keeping an antiquated hobby (which I think is great) with very few people under the age of 60 I’d venture to say relevant. Just my two cents

Edited by HeavyGunner
Damn autocorrect
  • Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Two sides to the coin. I was flagged by a lawyer who apparently makes money on the web threatening legal action over a photo being used with out authorazion. The photo was taken by me of my Marmon in my driveway. Someone took it off my Fotki site, put their name on it, copyrighted it and put it in their Hanks album. Legally I can't do anything about it except comply.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Two sides to the coin. I was flagged by a lawyer who apparently makes money on the web threatening legal action over a photo being used with out authorazion. The photo was taken by me of my Marmon in my driveway. Someone took it off my Fotki site, put their name on it, copyrighted it and put it in their Hanks album. Legally I can't do anything about it except comply.

You own the copyright to the picture you took unless you Transfered it in writing

The person who supposedly copyrighted the picture, did they actually copy right it or are they just claiming they did, and the lawyer would have an uphill battle on this one

It is possible that there are two very similar images out there

The reality is it's probably not worth the trouble

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I would assume someone claiming copyright is trying to profit so I understand that but I’m guessing if I used that picture as the screen saver on my phone you could care less. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

23 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

You own the copyright to the picture you took unless you Transfered it in writing

The person who supposedly copyrighted the picture, did they actually copy right it or are they just claiming they did, and the lawyer would have an uphill battle on this one

It is possible that there are two very similar images out there

The reality is it's probably not worth the trouble

The photo was taken from my pick up of my truck in my yard and there is not another Marmon with the paint scheme I painted on it.

AS for copy righting the photos there were photos from Autocar, the original Sterlings and Pacifics that were factory releases but are copyrights by people who were not even alive than.  

Kevin (KSCARBEL) posted photos form Mack of their train engines and the like and got hit on here by a lawyer representing the "owner".

Basically it is a grey area on image ownership and even the right to take the photos and in plain english a lot is scare tactics and B.S. .

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

8 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Kevin (KSCARBEL) posted photos form Mack of their train engines and the like and got hit on here by a lawyer representing the "owner".

I remember some "One post Wonder" being Butt hurt about "his" Picture..

But did anything become of It...????

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I guess if truck photographers don't want to cash in that is their business. I don't get the point of keeping all this truck history to themselves though. Its kind of like when you were young -I am going to take my bat and ball and go home. Everyone loses.:(

Edited by james j neiweem
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

I guess if truck photographers don't want to cash in that is their business. I don't get the point of keeping all this truck history to themselves though. Its kind of like when you were -I am going to take my bat and ball and go home. Everyone loses.:(

My photos I post anyone can use , I can't see not letting people enjoy them, just don't put their name on the and take credit for them.

Funny about taking the bat and ball and leaving, that's what Rob Archer said  in his post on Hanks forum. 

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 10/18/2019 at 7:47 AM, Hayseed said:

I remember some "One post Wonder" being Butt hurt about "his" Picture..

But did anything become of It...????

I remember some butt-hole named Chris Sissick came on here one time and gave Mark ( vision386 ) a hard time for posting one of his pictures of a Mack. I remember him, because he had a picture of an F.L. Moore truck parked at a truck stop in N.J. on Hank's site. Hank said you could use the pictures for your own use or educational purposes, just not to post them on facebook or your own website.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

12 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

So anybody have any idea where the pictures are domiciled.?

Go into Hanks Forum and look for the thread on pictures, there is a post on the old site pictures and quite a few of the members have licks to their photos.

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 10/19/2019 at 6:50 AM, 41chevy said:

My photos I post anyone can use , I can't see not letting people enjoy them, just don't put their name on the and take credit for them.

Funny about taking the bat and ball and leaving, that's what Rob Archer said  in his post on Hanks forum. 

I was told that ownership of an image or a drawing could be proofed by its higher (or original) resolution. So if someone saved a small copy and put a watermark on it a lawyer should take that to account. Or more correct way a technical expert might be involved.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I was told that ownership of an image or a drawing could be proofed by its higher (or original) resolution. So if someone saved a small copy and put a watermark on it a lawyer should take that to account. Or more correct way a technical expert might be involved.

That is typically true and what a lay person uses but a digital image contains metadata. The metadata includes information about the camera and can include the location and photographers name.

9 minutes ago, Quickfarms said:

That is typically true and what a lay person uses but a digital image contains metadata. The metadata includes information about the camera and can include the location and photographers name.

I usually resize all images I make. That delete the most or all additional information from the files. So probably identification of origin would be more difficult or impossible

15 hours ago, Vladislav said:

I usually resize all images I make. That delete the most or all additional information from the files. So probably identification of origin would be more difficult or impossible

I do the same thing, always edit and crop and resize, or change something.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

4 hours ago, other dog said:

I do the same thing, always edit and crop and resize, or change something.

Doesn't sound nice. If a lawyer would try bothering you please let me know the matters. Knock on wood:)

On 10/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, HeavyGunner said:

Seems silly to punish the fine people in the truck hobby world. People keep this exclusivity up the trucking history, knowledge and hobby will soon disappear. I don’t get it, if I post a picture online I don’t expect only the people I like or approve of are going to use it for whatever they like. That’s why I’m very choose-y with what I share. I understand if someone is making money off of your picture but photo chopping, backgrounds, wallpapers or whatever else who cares?  It’s keeping an antiquated hobby (which I think is great) with very few people under the age of 60 I’d venture to say relevant. Just my two cents

I'm on this side of the fence. I post pics for others to enjoy. if someone wants to claim them, who cares. have at it. It's not like I get paid or get a hero cookie for taking a picture.

Anything I do or say on the internet is with full understanding that anyone in the world can do whatever they want with it. 

Sorry to those on the other side of the fence, but I just don't see what the value of a picture is?

If someone wants to take the picture of my truck and photoshop their name on the door, so what? At least people that want to see pics of that particular brand of truck will be able to look at one on the net. 

Maybe my head is up my ass and I'm missing something? i just didn't figure a photo credit was that important to anyone.

Hanks was an awesome site and it will be missed. 

• Like 2

I think you hit the nail on the head. I’ve heard a couple of times now of people getting ultra possessive (in my opinion) of who should be able to see and use pictures and also wanting to control topics of conversation on here. My point then and now is if the few (in the big scheme of things) serious hardcore truck collectors and or restorers want to keep their pics and knowledge to themselves while making a website so boring know one cares to be on it the trucking history dies with them. What’s the point of that?  

• Like 2