A cat peed on my seat :(

My Mack still has its original Bostrom seat that I've contemplated replacing in the past, now it's become much more urgent update. Last night a cat got into the cab and matriculated on the drivers seat, thankfully I found it straight away and pulled it out before sunup.

Now the question is, what do I replace it with? I know almost nothing about truck seats, or what "style" I need to be looking for. I don't get around other trucks much to compare, and was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction. Is there a common mount used in the industry or is it all custom fit for an 1980 Mack?

IMG_1316.JPG.thumb.jpeg.5fbf5b3cee488a0e0de57231123fbb15.jpegThanks

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

Should be pretty universal, that plate on the floor unbolts and new seat will bolt to it. We put a Legacy? Seat in with armrests. Really nice seat, but the left arm rest interfered with the seat belt so we took that armrest off. Trans in the truck is an 8LL, so I don't need the slot under the right armrest very often.  If your transmission pattern uses that gear slot much you'll want to avoid armrests, but if it's an 8LL you just lift the armrest up a few inches, pop it in low to start out and you're good to go.

• Like 1

If this isn't a daily driver you might want to stick to a bostrom from a price stand point. Hard to justify a grand for a hobby truck seat. But if you're in it 40 hours a week then I'd say it's worth it.

I think you can get just the foam and seat covers from Mack.

Edited by JoeH

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

If this isn't a daily driver you might want to stick to a bostrom from a price stand point. Hard to justify a grand for a hobby truck seat. But if you're in it 40 hours a week then I'd say it's worth it.

I think you can get just the foam and seat covers from Mack.

I was having a hard time finding anything new under $1000. The plate under the seat should be able to accommodate most any seat then? 

Yes, it's an adapter plate. The plate sits on the floor via the "depressed" corners, which allows the bolt heads space for bolting the seat down. If the seat you buy doesn't match a set of holes just drill new holes in the plate. May have to do some mock up first to make sure the seat fits where you drill it, the R cabs really don't have much room behind the seat for reclining. About every seat I've had in a Mack R or DM rubs the rear glass.

• Like 1

Cruise a few truck yards near you and find something you like. Money you save you can have if recovered as you like also.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 9/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, Red Horse said:

So the cat peed on the cushion-is the seat structure sound?  Just take cushion to an upholstery shop and have them duplicate.  Unless you are spending a lot of time in this seat and want the latest technology.

Seems to me all  the old Bostrum air rides did  a decent job back in the 80's -assuming bags weren't blown.

My cushions (the foam at least) appeared to be glued to the metal backing... . .   I'm not familiar with upholstery work, do you think the foam could be replaced?

1 hour ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

My cushions (the foam at least) appeared to be glued to the metal backing... . .   I'm not familiar with upholstery work, do you think the foam could be replaced?

yes. It will hold that cat piss smell forever

oh, and replace the cat too

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

A cat used to crawl into my MH cab through the gear shifter opening when the latter was removed. I was unhappy with hair laying on the seats until figured out I had no mice instead.

Mack supplys cushion foam for Bostrom seats but it's difficult to find a correct one. I had experience ordering such thing for my R-model Bostrom 715E at Mack dealership in upstate NY. The guy at the desk spent no less than half an hour identyfying my truck and the seat and even called to Bostrom. He finally stated he knew what it was and he had to order it from another location. I said Ok but when I showed up again in a week the cushion they got was wrong. I knew the truck could have the seat swapped during the years (their suggestion) but here in Russia are 3 R's from the same factory butch with 6 similar Bostrom seats.

What I would do is to roam over junk yards and look for a passenger seat of the same model your driver one is. And than swap the cushion or the complete assembly.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 9/12/2019 at 11:21 AM, JoeH said:

You can buy new Mack upholstery for them, you don't have to invest in a new seat. Mack sells the seat covers. But if you want a new seat, I like the Legacy seat in mine.

when you say "new Mack upholstery" I'm sure you are refering to new high backs?  My B has two antique Bostrums- an Air Viking and a 905.  Both have Mack logos on seat backs but the seats themselves (cushions) are shot.  The seat mechanics work fine.

I'm thinking for a lot of cash, my best bet is a custom upholstery shop.  could probably cut out the seat back logos and stitch them into new cushions.

• Like 1