Always Up - Autocar Trucks

kscarbel2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A post came up on Facelessbook yesterday and it appears no one knows much about this style of bonnet (hood)

Anyway the first thing I thought of was I had seen that style before on BMT forum

The style of the headlights was similar but thats about all 

Anyone have any ideas 

Paul

the picture frpm FBFB-IMG-1611525595578.jpg

A close up of the headlights

20210125-090159.jpg

The truck on BMT that has sinlar headlight arrangement

585768444-Photo5-thumb-jpg-7a696aa67ca77

A close up of the head lights 

20210125-085522.jpg

The obvious difference is the FB truck has a tilt front and the hood is shorter were as the BMT has what I would call a butterfly bonnet or hood

Guessing the headlight bezzels (the chrome look headlight surrounds) are maybe from a cab over 

Any thoughts anyone?

Was a FB suggestion the bonnet was made shorter because of, read bellow .....

I am an Old Fart that has been around Autocar Garbage trucks for over 50 years and my Theory is that There were LOADS of the Long nosed A cars with the 25 cu yd Bodies on them for over 25years. In the mid to late 70's  garbage companies were buying the Longer 31cu yd bodies and could No Longer use the longer nosed Autocars which was {at the time} One of  Preferred Trucks they were using {Brockway, Mack, Autocar} Due to Length restrictions Autocar, had to come up with a "Stubnose" {shorter Nose} Model wich I started seeing around the 77-79 time period, with the 31yd Longer Bodies. Mack and Brockway already had Stubbies  for years.  This is My Theory wich Older guys than me told me as well. Hope This is accurate. If anybody Knows anything to back what I am saying Please inform me.

Or this from FB .....

Early model Constructor model. Right after Volvo bought them out and ruined them.

Anyone know as I definitely don't have any idea and am curious 

Paul

it is a early 80's volvo constructor model.

a local sand pit bought a few for local delivery use.

they were junk. within 5 years they were all parked and sold and replaced by macks. . 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

23 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

A post came up on Facelessbook yesterday and it appears no one knows much about this style of bonnet (hood)

Anyway the first thing I thought of was I had seen that style before on BMT forum

The style of the headlights was similar but thats about all 

Anyone have any ideas 

Paul

the picture frpm FBFB-IMG-1611525595578.jpg

A close up of the headlights

20210125-090159.jpg

The truck on BMT that has sinlar headlight arrangement

585768444-Photo5-thumb-jpg-7a696aa67ca77

A close up of the head lights 

20210125-085522.jpg

The obvious difference is the FB truck has a tilt front and the hood is shorter were as the BMT has what I would call a butterfly bonnet or hood

Guessing the headlight bezzels (the chrome look headlight surrounds) are maybe from a cab over 

Any thoughts anyone?

Was a FB suggestion the bonnet was made shorter because of, read bellow .....

I am an Old Fart that has been around Autocar Garbage trucks for over 50 years and my Theory is that There were LOADS of the Long nosed A cars with the 25 cu yd Bodies on them for over 25years. In the mid to late 70's  garbage companies were buying the Longer 31cu yd bodies and could No Longer use the longer nosed Autocars which was {at the time} One of  Preferred Trucks they were using {Brockway, Mack, Autocar} Due to Length restrictions Autocar, had to come up with a "Stubnose" {shorter Nose} Model wich I started seeing around the 77-79 time period, with the 31yd Longer Bodies. Mack and Brockway already had Stubbies  for years.  This is My Theory wich Older guys than me told me as well. Hope This is accurate. If anybody Knows anything to back what I am saying Please inform me.

Or this from FB .....

Early model Constructor model. Right after Volvo bought them out and ruined them.

Anyone know as I definitely don't have any idea and am curious 

Paul

It’s and autocar model ds, seen them spec’d as mixers.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, tjc transport said:

it is a early 80's volvo constructor model.

a local sand pit bought a few for local delivery use.

they were junk. within 5 years they were all parked and sold and replaced by macks. . 

Someone did suggest that might of been the case

How long did Volvo continue to use the White cab after they bought them out ?

Would give a good idea of what year it could be

All this for my own curiosity 

Paul

Edited by mrsmackpaul

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 9:02 AM, MackSTL68 said:

Here’s a pic of my old 1976 Autocar A64B I use to show. Had a 290 Cummins with a 13 speed. I was the second owner of the truck I had it for 19 years before selling it. 

A4D7DB2E-FE4E-4D48-BED8-93A3EA905F25.jpeg

C364A50B-38DA-4EA4-A931-E46F85FC6F48.jpeg

The man I used to work for north of Allentown PA had a very similar 73 or 74, 290, 13 speed. It was the first new truck he ever bought. After he semi retired he re-powered it with a twin turbo 475, 15 speed. Then gave it a "Touch of Dutch" tune up so it was putting 650 to the ground on the Cummins Ashland PA dyno!!! I believe his sons still have the tractor after he passed several years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brocky