Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" #4014

1958 F.W.D.

why?  is this the one they have been restoring out in Cheyenne Wy. for a couple of years now ,I know it is a awesome brute with more tractive power than  any MACK ever had .And I know a few Macks of legend could pull the big boy ,but fill it with water and FO, fire up a 230psi head of steam and how many loaded M75 's could it haul. over the rocky mountians

• Like 1

I was out by the steam shop over the summer and caught a glimpse of them moving 3985’s tender around the yard, I thought they were just moving it but that’s what they used, that way they could save time on the restoration. 4014’s real tender is right outside the steam shop with 4014 still written on it. It’s great to see it back on the rails, I had planned to go out and see it running but stuff got in the way. Only UP could do a huge restoration like this, and considering it was still in a bunch of pieces a few months ago shows how truly amazing it is that it’s back on the rails. Can’t wait until 3985 gets Becks on the rails and we can see a huge triple header. They also sometimes use these engines to help out diesels in a pinch, and both Big Boy and Challenger are both well suited for that. I love preserving the history of steam that built this country. Have some picture I took while I was out there. 

7F5908F6-3215-4412-B1DE-C24F003E40A7.jpeg

1DCAF466-E062-49B8-829B-BA34209775D1.jpeg

19CE2BCA-D310-4C5D-9736-279C1C36F533.jpeg

0AAF7C48-16C5-4DE5-A6D7-4A4C05A924B8.jpeg

3985’s tender I mentioned which is now being pulled by 4014

D8F923FB-5BE9-4213-AEE3-915412DF3920.jpeg

The engine I have photos of is 4004, another big boy, which is a static display in the park by the steam shop.

7BAAFF0D-9D73-4D23-BEE3-F5623C03A61B.jpeg

Even saw this Mack being used as a billboard in South Dakota along the way there.

• Like 2

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

been following the rebuild all along. last few days the internet train geeks have been pouring in vids and reports on how its doing. Sounds like they are taking is slow and working some kinks out but she is running under her own steam. I never thought I would see one of these run. as a Kid we all wanted to see the biggest and best regardless and here we are today watching it ride the rails.

Should be in Utah on May 10 for the 150th year celebration of the Golden Spike.

• Home
  • /
  • News
  • /
  • News Wire
  • /
  • UP releases schedule for 4014, 844 steam trips to Golden Spike anniversary

UP releases schedule for 4014, 844 steam trips to Golden Spike anniversary

March 13, 2019

Trains Industry Newsletter
Get a weekly roundup of the industry news you need.

By signing up you may also receive occasional reader surveys and special offers from Trains magazine. View our privacy policy.
BigBoyMay82014
UP Big Boy No. 4014 at the Cheyenne, Wyo., round house on May 8, 2014. Five years to the day later, it will arrive in Ogden, Utah, to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad.
TRAINS: Jim Wrinn.
DSC_9345
Union Pacific locomotive No. 844 will begin this spring's steam festivities, leaving Cheyenne, Wyo., on April 27 to begin its trip to Ogden, Utah.
TRAINS: Jim Wrinn

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Union Pacific has announced its long-awaited schedule for steam operations this summer, featuring the return of Big Boy 4-8-8-4 No. 4014.

Events begin Saturday, April 27, with 4-8-4 No. 844’s departure from Cheyenne. It will travel to Rock Springs, Wyo., that day, and to Ogden, Utah, on April 28. It will be on display in Ogden April 29-May 4 and May 6-8, then take part in the Gold Spike 150th anniversary celebration in Ogden on May 9.

The Big Boy will be christened on Saturday, May 4, in Cheyenne at 9:30 a.m., and depart a half-hour later for Rawlins, Wyo. On May 5, it will go from Rawlins to Rock Springs; on May 6, from Rock Springs to Evanston, Wyo. After a day in Evanston with no public display, it will travel from Evanston to Ogden on May 8 and take part in the celebration on May 9.

Both locomotives will be displayed in Ogden May 10-11 before double-heading back to Cheyenne, traveling from Ogden to Evanston, on May 12 and Evanston to Rock Springs on May 13.  After two days of display in Rock Springs (May 14-15), the doubleheader will move to Rawlins on May 16 and to Laramie, Wyo., on May 17. After one day in Laramie with no public access, they will complete the return to Cheyenne on Sunday, May 19.

A full schedule with times and information on intermediate stops each day is available on the Union Pacific website.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Has anyone here ever stopped in Snoqualmie Washington and looked at the yard full of old train engines in the middle of town by the biggest spruce tree on the rail car?  Had lots of neat old engines. I can remember as a youngster wanting to climb all over the big beasts. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Yup, been following it along since the beginning.  So cool.  I can't imagine the cubic money that has been spent on this!!!  All the new castings, all the machine work, man hours.   Ugh.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Very KooL that 4014 is back! 

I got to see Big Boy 4012 at Steamtown in Bellows Falls, VT when I was a kid.  Still have the pennant from the gift store.  4012 is the Big Boy that later went to Scranton, PA.

Steamtown.JPG

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

17 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Very KooL that 4014 is back! 

I got to see Big Boy 4012 at Steamtown in Bellows Falls, VT when I was a kid.  Still have the pennant from the gift store.  4012 is the Big Boy that later went to Scranton, PA.

Steamtown.JPG

Somewhere I have a pic of Large and Medium standing in front of 4012 in Scranton. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I used to have a photo of 4012 at bellows Fall  from 1972 Had my oldest son while just a toddler sitting on the front pilot step .He was dwarfed  by the size of the big boy. visited it again a few years ago in Scranton. I want to say that they loaned  #3985 or#844 to Clinchfield  for the Santa run back in the 90's just before the announced they were shutting down the steam operation . I was suprised to say the least to see they revived it .Must have been a change in top managment.

Nice! 

I have a couple old Kodak pictures of Big Boy 4012 but I can't seem to locate them at the moment.  The search continues because I wouldn't mind a stroll down memory lane.

One picture I do have is showing me and an older friend of the family about to ride in the Canadian Pacific 1293 at Steamtown.  Four people had the winning tickets.  Two people would ride to the tour run around point and the other two would ride in the cab on the way back to Steamtown.  It was a fantastic experience!

Last I knew, 1293 was alive and well at the Age of Steam in OH.

Steamtown A - Copy (2).jpg

• Like 2

Jim

4 hours ago, j hancock said:

Nice! 

I have a couple old Kodak pictures of Big Boy 4012 but I can't seem to locate them at the moment.  The search continues because I wouldn't mind a stroll down memory lane.

One picture I do have is showing me and an older friend of the family about to ride in the Canadian Pacific 1293 at Steamtown.  Four people had the winning tickets.  Two people would ride to the tour run around point and the other two would ride in the cab on the way back to Steamtown.  It was a fantastic experience!

Last I knew, 1293 was alive and well at the Age of Steam in OH.

Steamtown A - Copy (2).jpg

They are having a shin dig July 5-6 called "Steam to Victory".   I hope to make it down again.  The first visit/tour wasn't enough.  It's about an hour south of me.

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

They are having a shin dig July 5-6 called "Steam to Victory".   I hope to make it down again.  The first visit/tour wasn't enough.  It's about an hour south of me.

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/

Larry next time you are in Eastern Pa, you need to make time for Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton. Trust me. 

More memories.  Long time ago, I visited the Strasburg Railroad and bought tickets to Paradise.  Also visited the Railroad Museum of PA, stayed at the Red Caboose Motel and checked out the nearby Toy Train Museum.  All a lot of fun!

I haven't had a chance to go to Steamtown in Scranton but hope to get that way.

Jim

On 5/10/2019 at 8:38 AM, j hancock said:

More memories.  Long time ago, I visited the Strasburg Railroad and bought tickets to Paradise.  Also visited the Railroad Museum of PA, stayed at the Red Caboose Motel and checked out the nearby Toy Train Museum.  All a lot of fun!

I haven't had a chance to go to Steamtown in Scranton but hope to get that way.

You should have bought two tickets to paradise...just sayin, you really should've.

• Haha 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1 minute ago, other dog said:

You should have bought two tickets to paradise...just sayin, you really should've.

I actually bought four tickets to Paradise but that is a story for another time...

Jim

When I was about 4  or 5 my uncle ran the last steam engine passenger train the the L.I.R.R. had.Got to ride on it to the turn table with im for the last 100 yards before it was struck from the line. Steam anything got into my blood. My wife's family has the steam powered Edison/ Ford  DC generator the the Pratt Institute. runs a few days a week to make DC power for one of the labs. In the Fall they have a Stream Fest with the Gen Set, a steam organ (calipie?) and about 8 or 10 steam whistles from the LIRR railcar barges they owned in the late 1800's early 1900's.

When my wife was alive her and I went to ride the Belle of Louisville  at the Steam Riverboat Festival in Kentucky,   rode the  Katahdin  on Moosehead Lake in Maine and the Sabo  at Mystic Seaport close to a dozen times The Sabo is the oldest and last coal fired, wood hulled steamer in the U.S. still in operation.

We also spent 2 weeks as volunteers polishing brass and chipping paint in the engine room on the USS Olympic in Philly. Wife loved steam too.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 5/11/2019 at 8:55 PM, 41chevy said:

We also spent 2 weeks as volunteers polishing brass and chipping paint in the engine room on the USS Olympic in Philly. 

The Olympia is in trouble. She is in desperate need of a dry-docking to repair/refurb the hull, for which of course there is no money. Then to add insult to injury, she is resting on the bottom, and it will cost quite a few bucks to get her broken loose and to dredge a driveway for her out to the main channel to get her downriver to one of the private dry docks at the old PNSY or down to Sun Ship in Chester. If the work doesn't get done soon (I don't know what soon means) she could flood out below the waterline. 

There was some stabilizing repairs in the the hull blisters, but that only slows the process. She hasn't moved since 1958 when she came to Philly and set idle from 1925 until she was moved 1958. 15 to 20 million to repair her and the Becuna need work on her hull also.   The Olympia is only slightly worse than the Texas. Both the last of their kind. Better to piss money away on Illegals than saving our history I guess.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Speaking of Strasburg you missed some must see items  1,the operating train layout with the hobby shop up stairs and the Ice cream parlor ,2,is off to the west a mile or so on the other side of town is one off the most awsome minnie golf courses I have ever played , And when you stayed in the Red Caboose motel did you eat in the dining car restaurant.I have eaten there many times .Lancaster Pa. is a treasure trove of must see places as well as just plan tourist traps ,that are fun to see once .and don't forget a side trip up to Lititz  in the fall for Mack truck show . and a stop at the Wilbur Chocolate  company. 

Edited by gxbxc