Macks at Tigerville

10 minutes ago, harrybarbon said:

why trucks in the 1960/70's era the front bumpers were cut off both sides of the frame

To take some weight out of the truck.  Less vehicle weight means more potential paying weight in the trailer.  Many modern freight haulers only have short bumpers but have plastic aero bumper covers that make it look like a full bumper.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I was also led to believe, whether it be true or not, that many P&D fleets did this so when drivers bent the bumpers in tight quarters they wouldn't end up driving away cutting the tires.

At least that theory works today with the new breed. The brief while I pulled 4 axle van with my highway tractor it was rare to go into the warehouses in the big cities and see fleet trucks that DIDN't have bent bumpers and the side fairings ripped off, LOL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, j hancock said:

Looks good Brocky!  Nice to have a correspondent in the neighborhood.

Put a couple stamps on the black R700 and send it my way.

Jim, a question to you since you put yoyr eye on that R-model. What were those fuel tanks with "planetary" circled bottoms? To some point I thought they were installed on Hyward trucks but recently met such ones on a MH and now this pretty sure Eastern R-700.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

7 hours ago, j hancock said:

Looks good Brocky!  Nice to have a correspondent in the neighborhood.

Put a couple stamps on the black R700 and send it my way.

Thanks Jim, just part of my job as chapter newsletter editor.. Hope to see you at Watts tent at Macungie..

Do not know the history of the black R model.. Owned by the show host,  he was so busy I did not get to visit with him. New to his fleet with Farm Plates on it??

Brocky

5 hours ago, harrybarbon said:

Please Brocky or any other reader - can you explain why trucks in the 1960/70's era the front bumpers were cut off both sides of the frame, like the C model?

Harry

All of the above plus it is an American thing due to our congested traffic and minor fender benders. Much the same as your "Roo Bars" are an Aussie thing.

Brocky

18 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Jim, a question to you since you put yoyr eye on that R-model. What were those fuel tanks with "planetary" circled bottoms? To some point I thought they were installed on Hyward trucks but recently met such ones on a MH and now this pretty sure Eastern R-700.

It looks like a Snyder Tank (Buffalo, NY).  I have seen them on Hayward Superliners and the MH models also.  Probably available on western RS/RL, WS/WL and FL models.  Snyder Tanks may have been an option for anyone?

The Snyder Tank seems to be a little lower grade of aluminum and probably pretty difficult to get a good shine.  Wouldn't be surprised a lot of tanks have been changed over the years so the trucks are easier to shine up for going to a show.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

3 hours ago, j hancock said:

It looks like a Snyder Tank (Buffalo, NY).  I have seen them on Hayward Superliners and the MH models also.  Probably available on western RS/RL, WS/WL and FL models.  Snyder Tanks may have been an option for anyone?

The Snyder Tank seems to be a little lower grade of aluminum and probably pretty difficult to get a good shine.  Wouldn't be surprised a lot of tanks have been changed over the years so the trucks are easier to shine up for going to a show.

Quite interesting, thanks for the explanations.

It seemed like I met the same kind issue with my R-model tanks. Those are common bottom ones with pressed in steps, typical R-model round tanks. When tried to polish I found out too difficult to get shine and lower grade relating to what I could achive on Alcoa wheels using the same materials. Not sure right at the moment but those might be Canadian made. Will check it out the other day.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 5/2/2019 at 12:58 AM, Quickfarms said:

My thought on the front bumpers is the bean counters did not want to replace the bumper

Minor damage on hoods can be fixed with some fiberglass

You'll see some trucks with steel bumper center sections, and plastic wings that bolt on so they're easy to replace and won't cut the tire.

• Like 1