Two All New Models From Kenworth

kscarbel2

Truck News Australia  /  March 2019

New trucks from Kenworth don’t come around very often, but this week has seen the release and first drive of two all new models from Kenworth. Diesel got a first look and a first drive around the AARC testing track at Anglesea in Victoria.

The two new models are the T410 and the T360, effectively replacing the current T409 and the T359. These are the latest updates to the Kenworth range as the 2.1 metre wide standard cabin design works its way across the offering from Kenworth.

The first in the sequence was the introduction of the T610, which came out two years ago and has been accepted as a viable model. In fact, the T610 and the T610 SAR has been approaching 50 per cent of the Paccar assembly plant in Bayswater’s production in recent times.

The new models are part of a general realignment of the model range in the Kenworth world. The T610 trucks are now those fitted with 15 litre engines from Cummins and the T410 range are trucks fitted with the 13 litre engine from Paccar, the MX13.

In the past, models like the T409SAR was often sold fitted with a 15 litre X15 engine, but this is no longer the case. If you want a fifteen litre engine, you go the T610 or any of the other T6 models still available, plus, of course, the T909. The T410 will only be available with a Paccar 13 litre.

In superseding the T359, the T360 just takes the vocational workhorse of the last few years to another level. This what Kenworth do best, come up with a model, run with it for a few years and then refine it and refine it until it is ideally suited for an application.

This is the case for the T360, which has developed from the original T350 from earlier this century. The truck was originally designed to fit into the tight dimensional rules around heavy rigid trucks, where a short bumper to back of cab (BBC) and a set forward axle enable operators to maximise load space or body space whilst retaining high GCM allowances.

One of the more successful adaptations of this design has been the 8×4 and 10×4 versions of this model. In the T360 we see the truck become a flexible platform for twin steer rigid operation utilising the nine litre Cummins ISL with a choice of transmissions in behind.

On first impression these trucks deliver on everything Kenworth were looking to take the brand forward. Using the single basic cabin introduces a cost saving for the company, while providing a better working environment for the driver. These new trucks are characterised by the availability of safety systems and excellent all round visibility for the driver.

The sometimes cramped feel in some Kenworth product has gone, with these wider cabs with much more glass fitted in the windows. The cabin interior layout is now much simpler and more rational, plus consistency across the range means a driver getting out of a small T360 and climbing into a top power T610 will be confronted with an almost identical layout.

All of the trucks tested drive well and felt very much fit-for-purpose. The concentration on the MX13 engine seems to be justified by the reconfiguring of the the engine to run at 12 volts and its much improved integration in the driveline, especially when coupled with another innovation in the Australian market, the Paccar 12 speed AMT transmission.

This new AMT is in fact, an adaptation, made by Eaton, of the transmission makers 12 speed AMT sold widely on the US market. It has been calibrated to the Paccar engine’s performance characteristics. The smoothness and swiftness of the ratio changes, coupled with a particularly torquey little performer in the MX13 make for a very smooth and effortless drive.

Image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 2.jpg

Image 1.jpg

• Like 1

The New Kenworth T410 and T360 on the Move

Diesel News Australia  /  April 2019

Here is a short video giving us a bit more of a look at the new Kenworth T410 and the T360 on the move, taken at the recent showcase of the new trucks at Anglesea in Victoria.

The introduction of these two new models means the Kenworth brand has a modern state-of-the-art truck throughout its main range, apart from in cabover. Of course, it will continue with these outliers in terms of cabovers, the very top of the range and road train prime movers, models like the K200, T659, T909, T509 have a specific market and are not set to change anytime soon.

Of course, the K200 and the T909 are popular sellers, but Brad says there are concrete plans to launch any replacement any time soon. However, modernisation must be on the drawing board for these two, at least. As usual the Paccar organisation will play its cards very close to its chest and the K200 and T909 are too important to be tinkered with lightly. 

However, for now a truck buyer looking for anything from a heavy duty rigid with a nine litre engine all the way up to a road train prime mover with a 15 litre engine has the option of going the next step with a modern conventional Kenworth truck. 

Video - https://vimeo.com/328278126

• 2 months later...

How is paccar coming off poorly in the states? Is it not one of or the most successful truck manufacturers here?  I’m not trying to stir any pots, I’ve never got the impression that paccar comes off poorly. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Paccar has one of the most arrogant corporate company cultures on the planet. So much so that German companies including Volkswagen nod approvingly.

It is that arrogance, that "know it all" (besserwisser) attitude that holds them back in the states from reaching their full potential.

• Like 1

Fair enough. I was truly surprised to hear that. Growing up in NW Montana all I ever saw were Pete’s and KW’s log haulers. Every great once in awhile I’d see an International so in my small part of the world Pete’s and KW’s were and are very popular. Here in eastern Montana people either have a nice long hood Pete or buy the cheapest used fleet truck they can find. It’s one extreme or the other it seems. 

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

1 hour ago, HeavyGunner said:

Fair enough. I was truly surprised to hear that. Growing up in NW Montana all I ever saw were Pete’s and KW’s log haulers. Every great once in awhile I’d see an International so in my small part of the world Pete’s and KW’s were and are very popular. Here in eastern Montana people either have a nice long hood Pete or buy the cheapest used fleet truck they can find. It’s one extreme or the other it seems. 

Im from new england , when i was growing up in the 80s pete and kw were still pretty rare in logging and construction . Everybody had mack,international ,autocar,gmc, and ford ,wasnt til the mid-late 90s when paccars started to get popular now there everywhere

Mid to late 90's when the offerings from the other manufacturers got caught up in the option packages instead of building  100% to spec.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

10 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

How Paccar can come across so well in Oz, but so poorly in the states, is truly puzzling. Must be two different Paccar companies.

A bit like Mack here & In the U.S.A. 

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Well I don't know how they compare build wise, but Western Star will still build you anything you want. I had a TON of build quality issues with my 2013, but my new 2020 is way better. And I've also talked to KW owners here that had bad ones also.

But that's one thing about Star. You want a 6900 with a sheet metal hood, twin steer, all wheel drive with a big high rise sleeper? Sure. Want a Detroit? Yep. Want a Cummins? Yep Want planetary axles? Sure.

I've just never been a big Peterbilt fan. Probably just because every owner op with a show truck had one and they all do the same look to them. There's only so many 300 inch wheelbase Pete's with bumpers dragging the ground, huge drop visors and wood stove chimneys for exhaust that I can stand looking at, LOL.

I like the small cab KW's....but not the current dash.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

Well I don't know how they compare build wise, but Western Star will still build you anything you want. I had a TON of build quality issues with my 2013, but my new 2020 is way better. And I've also talked to KW owners here that had bad ones also.

But that's one thing about Star. You want a 6900 with a sheet metal hood, twin steer, all wheel drive with a big high rise sleeper? Sure. Want a Detroit? Yep. Want a Cummins? Yep Want planetary axles? Sure.

I've just never been a big Peterbilt fan. Probably just because every owner op with a show truck had one and they all do the same look to them. There's only so many 300 inch wheelbase Pete's with bumpers dragging the ground, huge drop visors and wood stove chimneys for exhaust that I can stand looking at, LOL.

The quality of a Bayswater-built Kenworth blows away the cheap stuff they sell in the US market.

Australian-spec Western Star trucks are well built also.

In the past, I preferred the Peterbilt COEs including the 320, 352, 362, 372 and 520. But I do like the appearance of the new 567 Heritage.

The current crop of seat warmers seem to be of the mind that only a Pete or KW is a "real truckers truck" same group that runs to buy the GM pick up with the 9 function tailgate just because of the hype. My two AM General power units and my Marmon will do everything the new units do except two things. No computer and emissions issues and I am not allowed to go into Cali.Big whoop.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

13 hours ago, 41chevy said:

The current crop of seat warmers seem to be of the mind that only a Pete or KW is a "real truckers truck" same group that runs to buy the GM pick up with the 9 function tailgate just because of the hype. My two AM General power units and my Marmon will do everything the new units do except two things. No computer and emissions issues and I am not allowed to go into Cali.Big whoop.

My buddy's son is still in seat warmer mode. I sold Dad on the idea of picking up a CV713 for the woods and lowboy, he bought one and likes it. First born son protested because he wanted a Pete 379. "Why" asked Dad. "More visibility" said son. We all had a pretty good laugh at his expense. Hard to score Facebook points in a CV713 was the bigger issue.

Image result for mack cv713 tractor

Image result for peterbilt 379

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

First born son protested because he wanted a Pete 379. "Why" asked Dad. "More visibility" said son.

Image result for peterbilt 379

More visibility for the drivers image?

I did look really close at a new Anthem today at Excel Mack in Richmond. Pretty much equipped as I would want.

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 6/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, Bullheaded said:

If I didn't drive a Mack, it would probably be a mid 1970's 900A KW. I always liked those for some oddball reason. I know where one is which was originally 1693TA powered, but now has an NTC-400 Cummins in it. It is both extended hood, and cowl.

I have a really good 1693TA for it should it become available.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

36 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

I thought that tailgate was the biggest gimmick around. Then I bought a new GMC with one on it. I love that thing. 

I looked at GMC's  I ended up purchasing a 2016 Ram 5500 chassis Cummins and 8 speed manual, shortened the wheel base and put on a older Ram 8 foot bed. Replaced the duals with super singles, welded up a aluminum baffled 145 gallon auxiliary fuel tank to fit the full bed floor and use that for job sites and towing both my racecars.

P.T.CHESHIRE

11 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I looked at GMC's  I ended up purchasing a 2016 Ram 5500 chassis Cummins and 8 speed manual, shortened the wheel base and put on a older Ram 8 foot bed. Replaced the duals with super singles, welded up a aluminum baffled 145 gallon auxiliary fuel tank to fit the full bed floor and use that for job sites and towing both my racecars.

Does the 5500 Ram have a heavier frame than the 3500? The 3500 has a lot of flex. 

Just my observation ! I Have Always wondered about why the Pete guys could never design a clutch pedal that didn't  look like a piece of antiquated Farm equipment! Up till the Cab redesign as of late! How ever Its Always been A REAL MANS truck for what ever reason! Kinda like the Harley Of Trucks! 🙄 Nether of which I am fond of!😎

2 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Does the 5500 Ram have a heavier frame than the 3500? The 3500 has a lot of flex. 

It has thicker rails and the cross members are a small bit heavier with a  wider flange area for fasteners. I started with a 204 something inch wheel base cab and chassis, set the bed on where I wanted it 3 inches off the cab back and slid the rear suspension up as an assembly. I also re installed the cross members from the cut off section  so mine is stiffer than factory

P.T.CHESHIRE

9 hours ago, 41chevy said:

It has thicker rails and the cross members are a small bit heavier with a  wider flange area for fasteners. I started with a 204 something inch wheel base cab and chassis, set the bed on where I wanted it 3 inches off the cab back and slid the rear suspension up as an assembly. I also re installed the cross members from the cut off section  so mine is stiffer than factory

That's how it should be done. I see in Australia they will build things the people want. Here it's all about the profit margins and appeasing the shareholders. 

1 hour ago, Dirtymilkman said:

That's how it should be done. I see in Australia they will build things the people want. Here it's all about the profit margins and appeasing the shareholders. 

My chassis was a left over or a cancelled order that nobody wanted to buy because of the manual trans.

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 6/6/2019 at 9:22 PM, Bullheaded said:

I'm with you, I like the KW cab. Drove a big "gussied up" -as Jerry Clower would say- Peterbilt for several years, and they're over rated in my opinion. I like the look of a W9 better. Those new Western Stars are really good looking trucks too, but i've never driven a Western Star.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.