Need advice on which trailer to use

I have been pulling pup trailers for over 40 years and love how they follow my tandem flatbed boom truck. We haul brick and stone with a 1987 Mack RD and an 1990 International Paystar 5000. Trucks empty are 30,000 and the pup weighs around 10,000. So we are 40,000 empty. Years ago we would go up to 60,000 but now we try to stay under 50,000. My main problem is now with my age and weight and the pup trailer so high that it is getting hard to tie down. My friend has a Eager Beaver 20 ton lowboy for sale the deck is 34 in off the ground vs my trailer which is almost 60 ins. His trailer is about 8,000 lbs. My trailer is 27 feet total with tongue his is 31 feet. Lighter but longer easier to back up but will not follow as well as my old 1971 Ravens. I do not see to many guys haul freight on lowboys but do not see why you could not. We only pull the pup about once a week to go to the brick plant or make a far off delivery. Local deliveries are made with just a straight truck. I also own a John Deere 310D backhoe which is mostly for personal use but it would be nice to have a way to move it. Also my pintle hitch is 34 in off the ground but I think his hook could be adjusted up or we fab it. I am going to start carrying a ladder with me but I do not want to fall so I fill the low deck would be safer. I am thinking wrong here. The wheel base on our trucks is 237 in so I am also going to be pretty long with that setup. Another issue would be tongue weight. With the pup trailer there is no weight on the tongue. Any thoughts on this setup? Thanks 

20190207_131814.jpg

Edited by lobo
add photo

Likewise, your health and safety are most important. 

You could have a nice wide aluminum ladder fabricated that grabs the strap pockets along the sides of the trailer.  Have it go above the deck of the pup as high as you need so you can adjust straps and still have hand holds. And have it designed so you can move it anywhere along the side of the trailer so you can use it for every strap. Could hang it on the back of the Dolly for transport. 

A new wheelbase can take some getting used to if you've only driven one setup for long time. My dad's 65 and Im not sure he can adapt to new setups as comfortably as he used to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lobo said:

I have been pulling pup trailers for over 40 years and love how they follow my tandem flatbed boom truck. We haul brick and stone with a 1987 Mack RD and an 1990 International Paystar 5000. Trucks empty are 30,000 and the pup weighs around 10,000. So we are 40,000 empty. Years ago we would go up to 60,000 but now we try to stay under 50,000. My main problem is now with my age and weight and the pup trailer so high that it is getting hard to tie down. My friend has a Eager Beaver 20 ton lowboy for sale the deck is 34 in off the ground vs my trailer which is almost 60 ins. His trailer is about 8,000 lbs. My trailer is 27 feet total with tongue his is 31 feet. Lighter but longer easier to back up but will not follow as well as my old 1971 Ravens. I do not see to many guys haul freight on lowboys but do not see why you could not. We only pull the pup about once a week to go to the brick plant or make a far off delivery. Local deliveries are made with just a straight truck. I also own a John Deere 310D backhoe which is mostly for personal use but it would be nice to have a way to move it. Also my pintle hitch is 34 in off the ground but I think his hook could be adjusted up or we fab it. I am going to start carrying a ladder with me but I do not want to fall so I fill the low deck would be safer. I am thinking wrong here. The wheel base on our trucks is 237 in so I am also going to be pretty long with that setup. Another issue would be tongue weight. With the pup trailer there is no weight on the tongue. Any thoughts on this setup? Thanks 

20190207_131814.jpg

fwiw `the ladder idea sounds like the way to go to me personally i would not trade what you have pictured for 2 of any make pintle hitch trs. 

• Like 2

Would lower profile tyres/tires help?

Also, what sort of leaf springs are on that? We just changed some trailers over from 9 leaf multi pack to 3 leaf parabolic and noticed a slight drop in height. 

Maybe you could convert to underslung suspension?

• Like 1

We always wanted a tractor in our small fleet. It would not be real practical having another truck around and only using it once a week though. I would love a tractor with a drop deck trailer, perfect for an older driver. Here is a pic of some of the loads we have to tie down. 

20180830_142320.jpg

Edited by lobo
add photo
  • Like 1

Your current setup is a short fifth wheel trailer and a dolly. You could probably lower the deck height by 6" or more by using a turntable trailer.

Do you really need a three axle trailer?

Have you considered some aluminum corner protectors with a pocket added so you could place them with a square ended pole and use the same pole to adjust the straps after you throw them over the load. That way you can minimize the climbing.

Do use a ladder, if you lower the trailer deck to match the truck you can get a step ladder and add a hook for the rub rail.

Work safely

One of my nicknames growing up around boats was monkey because I would climb or crawl into just about any spot. Now I have multiple 4, 5 and 6 foot stepladders, thank you Home Depot and Lowes Black Friday sales

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Have you considered some aluminum corner protectors with a pocket added so you could place them with a square ended pole and use the same pole to adjust the straps after you throw them over the load. That way you can minimize the climbing.

Like this.. 

https://maxiparts.com.au/load-restraint/load-angle-placement-tool/

TT101-1.jpg

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

23 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

fwiw `the ladder idea sounds like the way to go to me personally i would not trade what you have pictured for 2 of any make pintle hitch trs. 

Curious; what’s bad about the pintle hitch trailers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1965 said:

Curious; what’s bad about the pintle hitch trailers?

you can`t turn em tight` can`t keep tires on em  because if you have to get on brakes hard you flat spot tires`  single landing gear sinks when loaded `  are a real pain for one person to hookup` single gear usualy won`t lift tongue if dropped loaded or bump it a little to hard and collapse the gear` plus lots more reasons( i )don`t like em                 this is one more reason not to like          though not involved

20150909_truck_flip_high_and_market_21.jpg

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

you can`t turn em tight` can`t keep tires on em  because if you have to get on brakes hard you flat spot tires`  single landing gear sinks when loaded `  are a real pain for one person to hookup` single gear usualy won`t lift tongue if dropped loaded or bump it a little to hard and collapse the gear` plus lots more reasons( i )don`t like em

Gotcha; my deal is different, thought pintle hook would be better than the goose neck were using on a 4500 truck. Goose neck a pain to hook too, but you can turn sharp

Back in the late 70's we ran those block booms. How long is your bed? I spec. the triaxles for 25 foot beds and for years we used hiab booms then I mounted princton forklifts on the back of the trucks and i moved over to moffets. We always had tractors that we made delivery's with but we used 35 foot and 38 footer's. the last trailers were 45 foot spreads. they were ok to do plant runs but a real pain to try to do any deliverys. We lost 2 cubes on average if we did a full load of bricks between the triaxle and trailers . We always belly loaded the trailers and it was just aggravating we had to run the long trailer to meet al the laws in pa.

2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Is there a us source for that?

All of the ones I have seen are custom built and vary widely

N.F.I.  Sorry...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Thanks everyone lots of good advice here. We put a hook on a stick for me and the other driver about a year ago to grab things off the bed without climbing. I will buy two of the tridents with the sideboards,  did not know about them. I am going to start carrying a 6 ft. fiberglass ladder with me from now on when I go to the plants. We do not need a three axle trailer it is just what we have. My dad and I bought that trailer over 30 years ago for $2500.00. Before that we had a 1952 and a 1953 Trailmobile  two axle trailer with the turn tables. Those were nice old trailers and they had a spring mounted locking pin to make it easier to back up. The trailer has reyco single leaf springs on it. The dolley is newer I think it is a Greatdane but also has the reyco system. I am 6'2 280lbs and not as strong as I used to be. The real solution here is for me to stop drinking beer and lose 80lbs. Anyway thanks for the help, this is a very friendly forum. Randy 

lobo

gudday m8

me jist think n out loud

here in Oz a popular form of transport is:

a step deck semi with fold down HD mesh sides th@ dun hit the ground wen down but sit against the deck wen folded down

set of fold up ramps @ rear for a ruff terrain forklift doodadd or a frame for a moffit mounty 

the rig may B overkill but U will soon gro into it n may B pik up more payload or xtra work

cya

• Like 1