IH 9670 Eagle

Bullheaded

Nice find!!!  I've got a soft spot for older Binders.  Friend ran a 4070B Eagle for his last truck.  His was 400/13 spd also, but had 4.10's.

I met a fellow at York National convention, parked next to me with a super nice, low mileage 4070B.  He got it pretty cheap at an auction from a dealership?  I forget the whole story now.  It was spotless clean frame and inside too.   Last name was Richardson?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks a lot. It was really nice to drive. Not as rough as I thought it would be.  Judging by the name on it looks like it was a farm truck or grain hauler?

It's not very fast with that gearing, but like I say it will have an easy life now. Likely just going to pull a small 28 foot tandem dump trailer around town.

And the good thing is even if something does go wrong, those NTC Cummin's are pretty simple and cheap to rebuild.

When I drove it home I passed a convoy of cattle haulers on the highway and I got a lot of thumbs up! LOL.

I wonder if you can still find an original seat bottom cushion of these style seats as seen on the passenger side? The bottom of the driver side has been replaced with just a plain fabric cushion.

I want to find a new steering wheel for it also. This ones all cracked.

13 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

I wonder if you can still find an original seat bottom cushion of these style seats as seen on the passenger side? The bottom of the driver side has been replaced with just a plain fabric cushion.

I want to find a new steering wheel for it also. This ones all cracked.

I've had very close to that style duplicated by a good automotive interior shop. However, that style really didn't wear that well as the inherent "sliding" the driver will do when ingress and egress of the cab was hard on the "pillow top" style of interior.

Very nice older truck. Always liked the IH cabovers myself.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You have a rare gem there.  I would very much like to have that interior for some of my projects.  Biggest draw back to those is the electrical system.  I have a few books on 9670,s if ya get in a spot

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

Well it's still for sale. I decided not to do it. It has far too many issues to make it worth it to me. It would be a good truck for someone that does restorations but I need something that can go to work and be picked at as I go.

Went through it all and basically that is all it is, a perfect interior on good tires and back brakes.

They even wanted me to pull the insert out of the frame. It doesn't look bad to me, I can't see any scale or rust jacking, but they told me they won't safety it because it is rotten.

So between that, a blown head gasket, and all the electrical and small stuff and paint and the stuff I knew it needed, just more than I wanna do.

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

Well it's still for sale. I decided not to do it. It has far too many issues to make it worth it to me. It would be a good truck for someone that does restorations but I need something that can go to work and be picked at as I go.

Went through it all and basically that is all it is, a perfect interior on good tires and back brakes.

They even wanted me to pull the insert out of the frame. It doesn't look bad to me, I can't see any scale or rust jacking, but they told me they won't safety it because it is rotten.

So between that, a blown head gasket, and all the electrical and small stuff and paint and the stuff I knew it needed, just more than I wanna do.

Wow!!  Glad I don't live where you are. Most of the trucks around here would be in trouble.

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

They are getting ridiculous in Ontario Canada. A whole bunch of trucks got nailed for being deleted too. Now they are starting test for that for your annual safety too.

That's how they force us to buy this emission motored crap so we can all go bankrupt.

So now I'm forced to keep driving this Western Star DD15 lemon. I've only had to idle it across town into dealer three times this month derated. Awesome!!

I would have been ok if I could have just done a couple things to get it on the road, then work on it as I go, but they want me to do everything to it before they will safety it. And that's not even my dealer, it was a cut rate shop. But everybody is scared here now because the ministry busted a bunch of shops over the last year. The ministry has even been showing up at peoples houses 8 am Saturday morning to inspect vehicles they just got safetied!!

I had my friend look at it. He has done some ground up builds. He said if he was doing it for himself, probably could be done for 20 to 22 grand.

Nice " binder" I remembered something on those trucks there is a bundle of wire connections above the right steering tire, I was driving one of those 80s 9670s and it quit dead pulling into the Petro in Bordentown NJ. Turned out the slush and salt had corroded the wire connections in the cab above the tire! There is a panel.you can remove to get at them. Would be better to check it out first and correct any impending corrosion before it shuts you down. Maybe seal it up good with tar or something.

• 2 years later...
On 1/16/2019 at 6:17 AM, Bullheaded said:

Finally found a way to fix all my emission system headaches with the new trucks. Just got this 1986 IH 9670 Eagle. It's been many years now since I have been as happy as I am now when I drive this truck. Just have to do some cosmetic stuff. Got a grab handle missing, some dents and extra mirror brackets and stuff to remove. And put the stack on straight.

But the headliner and sleeper are still wrapped in plastic. Never been opened up.

It's a little light spec'd compared to what I normally have, but many years ago I was in the bush with 38,000 rears and only broke one axle shaft once, so I'll be okay pulling a dump trailer with this.

It's got an NTC Big Cam IV 400, 13 speed overdrive and 40,000 International (made by Rockwell) rears with 4.44 ratio. Kinda odd a light spec highway truck is geared that low, but it pulls pretty strong. And I will just be using it in town and on highway construction anyway.

Man, I had forgot how glorious it is to drive an old truck with a mechanically governed engine and un-muffled straight pipe. I'm never going to want to drive the 4900 Star now.

I missed out on a 350 Superliner, but I'm an International guy too, so this will work!

003 (Large).JPG

026 (Large).JPG

027 (Large).JPG

033 (Large).JPG

035 (Large).JPG

036 (Large).JPG

038 (Large).JPG

051 (Large).JPG

Just saw this thread. I'm guessing you bought this truck from Jack Culbert. I remember hearing about it when it was for sale. I heard it sold way up north. Do you still have it? 

20 hours ago, alex g said:

Just saw this thread. I'm guessing you bought this truck from Jack Culbert. I remember hearing about it when it was for sale. I heard it sold way up north. Do you still have it? 

It was up north here when I was going to get it. But didn't end up getting it. Took it in to a shop to get checked over and the engine needed a rebuild, they wouldn't safety it because they said the frame had rust under the fifth wheel plate, it had all kinds of electrical issues. If I had a lot of money to spend on it, it would have been a good truck.

Kinda wish I got it now. The interior was mint.

Who was Jack Culbert? Do you know anything about that truck Alex? I know it went back down to Sothern Ontario, but I don't know who bought it. But I was told it wasn't getting scrapped.

Jack is a friend of mine he lives about 3 hours from me. I heard he sold it and it went north. I don't know much about the truck other than I think he bought from original owner and the plastic was still on parts of interior.