L Fire Engine Restoration

That’s right, i believe a 12 to 24 volt transformer because it has dual ignition coils but I’m still certain it was added on after the fact when she had a bunch of mods made to her to lengthen her service life into the 80s.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

So we’re working on getting everything together to be able to get it painted once it’s back together and we noticed that the decal on the front fenders are missing. If anyone could get me a good picture or diagram of one that would be amazing. They were there when it was still in service and it looks like the truck was repainted in the 80s or 90s without the fender decals.

It looks like this but I don’t have any high quality images of it but it looks to be a somewhat standard thing as I’ve found the design on several other engines one of which is the lower picture.

01874863-1711-4693-AA79-9217C23F887B.jpeg

6E9F511C-ED2B-4E78-814A-0AA1B22BE546.jpeg

The more I keep looking at pictures the more it feels weird not having them there.

Edited by CaptainCrutch

Update: I’ve tried searching around and I can’t find any good pictures on the internet of the decal but I have found that it’s on a lot of old L fire trucks. If worse comes to worse I know of a company in Hagerstown with an L that has those decals so I can try to convince them to let me snap a few pictures and take measurements. Still any help is much appreciated.

We’ve finally received all the parts so she should be back together and running in the next few days. Can’t wait to finally hear that old 707 chugging the way she should after all these years. I’ll see if I can get some new pictures of her when we have her out.

DFEC055E-0B4D-41FF-92F9-17C05C3C5C1A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone else ever needs it. It does look exactly the same as on the early pictures of my truck and the others with similar gold leaf. I’ve done some more research and found 20+ more trucks with that exact look, just never a good picture of it.

C4FC112F-CB57-461C-AD02-0AE4C16605BE.jpeg

277B5376-4782-4FCC-9F55-309E7A3AA482.jpeg

Thanks a bunch yarnall!

Edited by CaptainCrutch

• 2 weeks later...

The key word with this project seems to be ‘should’. The guides for the heads were supposed to come in at the beginning of last week but they came in Yesterday. At this point we’re praying we can get it back by the end of the week but with an upcoming snowstorm on the way it’s not looking good, and we definitely won’t risk taking it home with slick roads. ‘Should’ be sometime next week at the latest but who knows at this point. It ‘should’ have been done before the end of last month, but good things come to those who wait, so patient we must stay.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...