Ocassionally in the States

Vladislav

It has happened that my current affairs got me to New Jersey. Some used BMW spare parts go to Russia on a constant basis but lots of come broken and so. The recipient wasn't happy with the fact and knowning my addiction to everything used and rusty plus my experience visiting the US made me an offer for a inspection voyage. Actually I was paid for the plane tickets having a week to spend for reasons I want. So so far I'm at my friend's place in NJ. Unfortunately he's going to departue to Mexico for vacation with a family and I have a feeling of potential nothing to do. This kind of situation is not typical to me and I already started building plans for the nearest few days. Going to visit Matt Pfahl's shop on Tuesday. The further part of the week needs more work out and taking to account Thanksgiving on Thurthday I found myself open for ideas. What would you guys recommend me to visit in the area of NY-NJ or Easter PA? I even look for a chance to keep anybody's company to put hands on an old Mack truck if someone is going to spend the long weekend in his shop. No income interest, just involvement and accomodation.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

If you have never been there put the America on Wheels museum in Allentown PA on your list.. Covers a little bit of everything from horse and buggy to modern high dollar sports cars with a lot of Mack stuff in between. I think Mack's 1910 Brockway is there? Mack cutout drivetrain parts, one room describing a restoration, and the time I was there, the day after Thanksgiving, a model railroad club had one room full of a big set up.

Brocky

Thank you for the ideas guys.

America On Wheels was on my mind. I checked their web site and looked like they work all the week excepting Monday. Even Thursday marked as a working day.

Gary Mahan's collection is a great place to see no doubt. But I was lucky checking it out in the past.

14 hours ago, Vladislav said:

It has happened that my current affairs got me to New Jersey. Some used BMW spare parts go to Russia on a constant basis but lots of come broken and so. The recipient wasn't happy with the fact and knowning my addiction to everything used and rusty plus my experience visiting the US made me an offer for a inspection voyage. Actually I was paid for the plane tickets having a week to spend for reasons I want. So so far I'm at my friend's place in NJ. Unfortunately he's going to departue to Mexico for vacation with a family and I have a feeling of potential nothing to do. This kind of situation is not typical to me and I already started building plans for the nearest few days. Going to visit Matt Pfahl's shop on Tuesday. The further part of the week needs more work out and taking to account Thanksgiving on Thurthday I found myself open for ideas. What would you guys recommend me to visit in the area of NY-NJ or Easter PA? I even look for a chance to keep anybody's company to put hands on an old Mack truck if someone is going to spend the long weekend in his shop. No income interest, just involvement and accomodation.

How about Steamtown Historic Sight?  https://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

if you are into model trains, there is a place called Northlandz  on RT 202 in Flemington.

http://northlandz.com

it is well worth the price to get in, and you can get lost in there 

Edited by tjc transport

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

9 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Have you been to D.C.?

I happened to drive through but it was dark and rainy so I saw absolutely nothing.

Ok, good idea, put it on the list. Thanks.

I happened to drive through but it was dark and rainy so I saw absolutely nothing.
Ok, good idea, put it on the list. Thanks.

I personally like the Smithsonian air and space museum

The northeast is so rich in revolutionary war and civil war history

The liberty bell, and other things, are in Philadelphia
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tjc transport said:

if you are into model trains, there is a place called Northlandz  on RT 202 in Flemington.

http://northlandz.com

it is well worth the price to get in, and you can get lost in there 

Wow! Seems very interesting. And not far from my basic location. The site tells they open the doors Fr-Su. And on Th during summer only. Good place to get on weekend.

6 hours ago, gxbxc said:

Have you been to Keystone  Tractor in Richmond Va , they have trucks and more tractors than I   knew were ever made

https://keystonetractorworks.com/

Been there done that:)

Yes, made a trip to Va this past June right after Macungie show. Also catched many local roads along East sea coast on my way there. The musuem collection is far beyound of what you can express with words (at least using my English skills:)). The trucks are fewer in number but every example worth alot of attention.

3 hours ago, tjc transport said:

where are you now Vlad? 

i am in Middlesex County, about 10 miles south of Perth Amboy. 

Right at the moment in Fair Lawn NJ at my friend's place. But the facility I have affairs with locates in New Brunswick which is quite close to you. So no problem to me to show up for a cup of coffee (or longer) during the weekend.

This is the wrong season but if you are here is the summer try to come on a weekend when the Rough and Tumble steam museum is open , is on US 30 west of Phila.  The Aug. reunion is one of the best ,good food and plenty of old operating machines  from lawn mowers to 450 hp pumping engines  and steam shovels and a few old mack trucks.

http://www.roughandtumble.org/

58 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Right at the moment in Fair Lawn NJ at my friend's place. But the facility I have affairs with locates in New Brunswick which is quite close to you. So no problem to me to show up for a cup of coffee (or longer) during the weekend.

would be no problem, except i am leaving at 5 am for north carolina. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, gxbxc said:

This is the wrong season but if you are here is the summer try to come on a weekend when the Rough and Tumble steam museum is open , is on US 30 west of Phila.  The Aug. reunion is one of the best ,good food and plenty of old operating machines  from lawn mowers to 450 hp pumping engines  and steam shovels and a few old mack trucks.

http://www.roughandtumble.org/

Thank you, put on the list. For a summer:)