Mack MP8 Tools Vs. Volvo D13 Tools, Buyer beware.

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

Boy, talk about pricing consistency......

Any essential tools available at Harbor Freight? 

I don’t think so, but on occasion you can go direct.  Back in the day tools had a lot more OTC or Kent Moore identifiers, not so much now. Seems like the OE’s are getting good at capturing the tool part numbers. 

The Volvo bunch completely hid the kits under world numbers, but Mack still leaks out some alphanumeric so you know there is a cross over. 

• Like 1

I made my own rocker arm lifting tool from thick one inch square tubing because , well that's what Volvo/Mack makes it out of. It was easy. I only made the MP-8 style cause that's all I ever see around here. I hope to make a MP-7 one soon. I'm going to buy my own cup removal and install tools but they seem to update the style every 2-3 years so my luck, as soon as I buy then they update the style. 

No I'm positive of sure your mistaken Its the  Volvo/88800352 Tool  A Bargain  $1,338.18  ! 😣  A lot of R+d Went into building that unit ya know!🙄

One thing about the Volvo Group , They Are equal opportunity Gouger's ! They gouge the customers and  they gouge the dealers ! If they were as good at fixing injector cups as they are at gouging these trucks would be perfect!

Money For Nothing Shit For Free! Nope! They sell That too!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, fjh said:

No I'm positive of sure your mistaken Its the  Volvo/88800352 Tool  A Bargain  $1,338.18  ! 😣  A lot of R+d Went into building that unit ya know!🙄

One thing about the Volvo Group , They Are equal opportunity Gouger's ! They gouge the customers and  they gouge the dealers ! If they were as good at fixing injector cups as they are at gouging these trucks would be perfect!

Money For Nothing Shit For Free! Nope! They sell That too!

However bad they are at ringing you out of your pocket change...........My supervisors and bean counters love them. They are doing well at our facility, speaking in terms of the heavy equipment line. 

I'd never be seen wearing a Volvo cap, but I'm starting to like them too. They are holding up. Hitting 18K hours on our first unit with only a turbo VGT sticking. The whole machine has "trick-outs" in it to make working on them simple. 

This one came in Monday and replaced a Liehberr LH60 Timber. That Volvo was a little over $400K and is replacing the $750K Liehberr. It pulls a 22% bigger payload of wood per trip and moves as fast as the Liehberr. Some BIG smiles on the department head's faces. I'm guessing in five years from now 50% of our fleet will be Volvo and in 3-5 years we will have our first Mack-vo replace a KW. 

1752310097_IMG_1134(3).JPG.4a15bac83935f2abf30991de117e22ad.JPG

Edited by Mack Technician

47 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

However bad they are at ringing you out of your pocket change...........My supervisors and bean counters love them. They are doing well at our facility, speaking in terms of the heavy equipment line. 

I'd never be seen wearing a Volvo cap, but I'm starting to like them too. They are holding up. Hitting 18K hours on our first unit with no engine issues. The whole machine has "trick-outs" in it to make working on them simple. 

This one came in Monday and replaced a Liehberr LH60. That Volvo was a little over $400K and is replacing the $750K Liehberr. It pulls a 22% bigger payload of wood per trip and moves as fast as the Liehberr. Some BIG smiles on the department head's faces. I'm guessing in five years from now 50% of our fleet will be Volvo and in 3-5 years we will have our first Mack-vo replace a KW. 

1752310097_IMG_1134(3).JPG.4a15bac83935f2abf30991de117e22ad.JPG

Remember there is a big difference in the engineering staff to the assembly techs for Volvo trucks and cars to the Volvo Vocational equipment. Much of the heavy equipment experience and designs benefit from Volvo Defense before Volvo quit the military line.  Military equipment takes a hell of a lot more abuse from operators then heavy equipment. I personally experienced that with the original M113's powered 6v53 D.D's . ;) Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Don't kid your self!  The owner of our dealership is also A gravel pit owner He bought into the Volvo equipment line back when he took over the Mack Dealership here we have had our fair share of repairing this junk too! 

The quality and design is somewhat better than the truck end. Still kind dollar store ish   however!  He has switched back to Cat for the pit end of the business ! I'm sure it has a lot to do with economics  as well never the less he switched back!

lehbier  would not even be in the thought process !

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, Mackpro said:

I made my own rocker arm lifting tool from thick one inch square tubing because , well that's what Volvo/Mack makes it out of. It was easy. I only made the MP-8 style cause that's all I ever see around here. I hope to make a MP-7 one soon. I'm going to buy my own cup removal and install tools but they seem to update the style every 2-3 years so my luck, as soon as I buy then they update the style. 

Is this what you ended up with or am I outdated? Keep in mind we are in 2010 emissions so I'm possibly outdated to the dealer intentionally. The pictured L180HL machine showed up without a common rail.

Inj Cup Puller

1054579621_cuppuller.JPG.bf0839a692aeab1ebbfee8bdb3f791c0.JPG

Inj Cup Swedge

1526814167_cupswedge.thumb.JPG.d24c860a6e55ae7f1de750fb0927bc3a.JPG

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Don't kid your self!  The owner of our dealership is also A gravel pit owner He bought into the Volvo equipment line back when he took over the Mack Dealership here we have had our fair share of repairing this junk too! 

The quality and design is somewhat better than the truck end. Still kind dollar store ish   however!  He has switched back to Cat for the pit end of the business ! I'm sure it has a lot to do with economics  as well never the less he switched back!

lehbier  would not even be in the thought process !

Volvo Construction Equipment (VCE) has the worst after-sales support in the US market. Ask most any construction company who has tried Volvo, and they'll say they ultimately stopped buying Volvo because of the poor after-sales support. I like Deere and Komatsu, but CAT has the best after-sales support.

Remember, most of the board wants to offload VCE because it generally isn't a money maker. And it lost millions in China with bad loans, millions, that put the overall group in financial dire straights (the explanation for the low-budget jury-rigged common rail on the old unit pump block). Remember they were forced to sell "Volvo Rents", their failed attempt to compete with CAT in the US, to raise cash.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Remember there is a big difference in the engineering staff to the assembly techs for Volvo trucks and cars to the Volvo Vocational equipment. Much of the heavy equipment experience and designs benefit from Volvo Defense before Volvo quit the military line.  Military equipment takes a hell of a lot more abuse from operators then heavy equipment. I personally experienced that with the original M113's powered 6v53 D.D's . ;) Paul

Paul, Volvo gave up on selling its arms merchants. They would have lost the Renault sale to Canada.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/47595-volvo-gets-rid-of-the-arms-merchants/

51 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

On the cup puller , yours is kinda like ours but with out the claw/puller that's on top. The new swedge tool pushes through the cup instead of pulling through like yours.

Do you use the new push style swedge on all old production engines too?

Pushing and compressing the swedge bit makes more sense than stretching and snapping it off in the cylinder. Plus your seating downward rather than pulling to upset the seat-to-sealant surface.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Volvo Construction Equipment (VCE) has the worst after-sales support in the US market. Ask most any construction company who has tried Volvo, and they'll say they ultimately stopped buying Volvo because of the poor after-sales support. I like Deere and Komatsu, but CAT has the best after-sales support.

Remember, most of the board wants to offload VCE because it generally isn't a money maker. And it lost millions in China with bad loans, millions, that put the overall group in financial dire straights (the explanation for the low-budget jury-rigged common rail on the old unit pump block). Remember they were forced to sell "Volvo Rents", their failed attempt to compete with CAT in the US, to raise cash.

CAT aftermarket service is amazing. They do free on-site quarterly inspections for 2 years. Their Electronic Technician service software is double amazing. The machines are a b£#%¥ to work on. 

Ultimately we are able to keep the dealership out of our shop. Cat hasn’t been here for 3.5 years. A lot to do with the good support software. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

Do you use the new push style swedge on all old production engines too?

Pushing and compressing the swedge bit makes more sense than stretching and snapping it off in the cylinder. Plus your seating downward rather than pulling to upset the seat-to-sealant surface.

We use the push style on all stainless cups. We use the old style  on the copper cups

• Like 1

Mackpro, if anyone else said that I would take it personally...but you got it together and you may be right about my purchase (I didn't realize I can edit the quotes to actual translation).

Looked at the container my tool came in and it matches my book for SS cups, not copper, 88800467(proper for stainless). Catch is, you can see it on the picture I attached, the tool I got is a 88800457. The mystery is...........that 88800457 does not appear in my manuals at all. In my manual the copper swedge is a 88800196. Volvo told me to take pics and send them.

Imagine the joy of snapping a pull bit off into the cylinder because it was too light to draw through stainless instead of intended brass? What do you drink in Kentucky, I may be sending you a bottle for catching that packaging mistake...

11 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

Actually there are 3 install tools. One for stainless cups, one for the early stepped bottom copper cups and one for the standard flat bottom copper cups. 

Don’t think it matters; none of the cups work anyways. Couldn’t help myself. 

• Like 1