Some Russian firetruck pics

Vladislav

This is also one of onknown to me units. Looks like made in the US but I'm not any sure on that.

Sorry no Winfall kind pictures from me. Hope it could be covered by our professional posters in the different thread.

March.2018 134.1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Pretty neat stuff.  The first three GAZ look like Studebaker cabs.  I had read an article about their use in Russia.  The second ZIS has K model IH sheet metal and cab. I am not sure about the fenders.  They don't look right.  The too ladder trucks look like they have German Magirus ladders.  Only a few dozen of them were imported to the US.  

The last picture looks like it is a US car chassis like a Lincoln converted into a chemical truck. 

Thanks for posting them.  Mike 

Edited by yarnall
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 4:03 AM, Phase 1 said:

March.2018 073.1.jpg

It looks like Russia's version of a DUKW (Duck).

No, that one was of a line of vehicles to recover descent devices with spacemen after landing. Those rigs were designed to operate as a convoy of 3 or 4. One should be for transportation of personal including medics and cosmonauts but the one on the pic seems to load and haul the descent device itself. That's the reason for the crane mounted on.

Russian version of DUKW looked really close to original GMC's. Had some good upgrades though such as openable read gate. But it was made later, starting from 1949 so the improvements were done to the original design. It was not a complete copy but sure difficult to find differences in the look.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Vladislav said:

This is also one of onknown to me units. Looks like made in the US but I'm not any sure on that.

Sorry no Winfall kind pictures from me. Hope it could be covered by our professional posters in the different thread.

March.2018 134.1.jpg

Thanks for the neat pictures. I am trying to figure out the convertible sedan next to this truck. It looks like GM from 1938, 39 or 40.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, yarnall said:

Pretty neat stuff.  The first three GAZ look like Studebaker cabs.  I had read an article about their use in Russia.  The second ZIS has K model IH sheet metal and cab. I am not sure about the fenders.  They don't look right.  The too ladder trucks look like they have German Magirus ladders.  Only a few dozen of them were imported to the US.  

The last picture looks like it is a US car chassis like a Lincoln converted into a chemical truck. 

Thanks for posting them.  Mike 

You are partly right Mike. Those GAZ and ZIS didn't have Studebaker and IH cabs but those were designed and built using basically the shapes. Plenty of US-6 Studebakers were supplied to Soviet Union indeed so Russian engineers had enough samples of technical solutions working on after the war generation of vehicles. I suppose nobody here thought too much on a matter of copyright rules those days. The most of the industrial part of the country was destroyed and also Cold War isolation allowed to do what they want to do with foreign technologies which came avalible to research or copy.

Looking over drawings and parts books of Russian trucks of 50's you can't find completely copied rigs of different producents. But lots and lots of technical solutions look identical to what was used in German or American vehicles of 40's. Sometimes it could be general plan of a rig, sometimes a unit desingn, sometimes parts of general appearence. But I can state the most trucks, assemblies, units or parts were not just copied but made close to some originals after research, revision and upgrates in many cases. BTW the most hardware and many basic sizes were reworked to metrics.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HarryS said:

Thanks for the neat pictures. I am trying to figure out the convertible sedan next to this truck. It looks like GM from 1938, 39 or 40.

Looks like Buick to me but I'm way off from being sure.

Those guys had a couple of perfect job restored American cars including that one. When I attended the show in the previous year a friend of mine who was a paint shop guy kept my company. He spent some while looking those cars and stated he saw an absolute top notch job.

I suppose the firetruck is in the waiting line to be restored. Maybe we will see it done in the future.

15 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Belgium Cold Springs truck is an American Lafrance. 1935 +/- 

Thanks for sharing Vlad, very cool!!

Hey any plans to come to the US anytime soon? 

Tsss, my friend, fingers crossed.

And I have already read about the smoker :)

• 2 weeks later...