old sears craftsman snow blower

Ezrider

i know a lot of you guys here really know your stuff about old equipment, tools ect. 

i thought i would share this video with you guys and thought some of you guys might have some additional knowledge about this snowblower itself. i bought it 2-20th hand used many years ago don't really know much about any kind of history age ect on it. 

Edited by Ezrider
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

That logo was used by Sears from 1984 to 1994.

That familiar engine, with the plastic fuel tank, doesn't look old to me.......it seems as though it was just yesterday that those silver Craftsman lawn & garden machines were being sold.

sounds like it is newer than i thought, i was thinking late 70's mid 80's on the new end. but 1984-94 is a much narrower date range than i really had any clue.....lol

2 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

I don't think the Sears number is as easy to put a date to it as the motor. lf it's the original motor it may have the date stamped on it.   .....Hippy 

also good idea on checking the engine i know iv looked around on the snow blower for a date before don't know how close iv looked at the engine. worth a second look for sure.

4 hours ago, hicrop10 said:

I have one that looks just like yours,other then mine is black and green.Brought mine about 15 years ago,runs great never gives me any trouble.

its a great little snowblower. would only run when choked when i bought it at a yard sale several years ago a simple carb clean up and and once over like i did in the video fixed that. try to always give everything a quick once over before the first time i use it for the season, of course i normally forget to put them up properly at the end of the season too....lol  but its blown out paths in snow that was deeper than the top of the chute before. i have not yet had it break. 

9 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

.....it seems as though it was just yesterday that those silver Craftsman lawn & garden machines were being sold.

We have three silver and black 18hp B&S - 3spd hi/lo garden tractors. Two for pulling in the stock class and one for mowing. Both pullers were picked up for $50.00 each off CL several years ago. The Mrs. does very well with hers, (one 1st, one 2nd, and two 5th place championships) plus more ribbons and awards than Ricky and l put together! ha   .....Hippy    

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

A Slide guitar 🎸 custom sound track? I think you moving into the big league on your repair series. :thumb:

thanks! i appreciate it. it is a learning process all in its own. i used part of that same track once before in my Mack cold start video. where the truck drives over the camera. 

song name is daisy dukes by a band called silent partner. 

there is some places to go to find music that is posted up for free use/copyright royalty free. i think a lot of bands use this as a way to gain exposure, the bad thing is you have to sift threw a lot of garbage....lol i try to save tracks that i find that i like when i find them for future use. 

8 hours ago, j hancock said:

awesome, i ment to look over the engine today to try to find any date or searial number to try to cross reference, but forgot hopefully i will remember tomorrow, were actually supposed to be getting a few inches of snow tomorrow so that might help me remember...lol 

well i took a look today and i don't believe its actually a brigs engine im thinking its a Tecumseh serial number 6238b 

from a little hunting and pecking i did pre-2004 tecumseh numbers the first number is the last number of the year. so it could be 1976 1986 1996 ect. 

On 3/17/2018 at 10:14 PM, kscarbel2 said:

That logo was used by Sears from 1984 to 1994.

That familiar engine, with the plastic fuel tank, doesn't look old to me.......it seems as though it was just yesterday that those silver Craftsman lawn & garden machines were being sold.

if this information is correct would make it a 1986

There is also a manufatured date code on the carburetor  Tecumaeh and Walbro carbs but none if it is a Zenith.   Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

i am pretty sure its a Tecumseh. there is no manufacture name anywhere on it but i can tell its not a brigs by looking at it. the serial numbers stamped on the top of the flywheel cover match up with the information i found on Tecumseh. im fairly confident from the information we have collected here that its a 1986. next time i have the cover over the carb off ill check the carb for a date/code as well. 86 seems about right id say ether 86 or 76. i think 96 would be too new for its styling.

would be cool to see if i could match it up to a old brochure picture now that we have it narrowed down but i have not really had time to do much hunting and pecking on the subject.