another Jake brake question.

Totenhofer

Hey guys,

ok so I’m aware there’s plenty of Jake brake threads on here but none that quite cover my issue,

1999 Mack fleetliner chr 470, in the morning when I start the Jake brake will work on both high and low selections,

but  say 10 minutes into driving the Jake will Only engage in The first stage but only when the switch is all the way down, and the second stage will not work whatsoever, and having the switch in the middle position it will do nothing either. It’s very dangerous and frustrating as I really need to use the Jake for the work I do and at this point the first stage of the Jake is no better then putting your hat out the window to slow down. 

they both work fine at the start of the day, it happens every day without fail. It’s stumped me. 

thanks guys 

Sam

16 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Think past conversations will include you as far as low oil flow to top deck of engine. Keeping in mind oil powers your jake. Are you aware of which update remedies you have already, or someone previously, installed?

Ageed here your issue is not uncommon!  oil preasure / flow is the key! does it have an external oil source Kit on It!

Yep , see it all the time on the early ETECHs . Works great at first cold start up when oil is cool and thick and as soon as the oil get up to temp/hot and thins out  then the engine brake doesn't work at all or barely makes noise . There are lots up upgrade kits for this issue but  cam bearings  are often over looked for this problem. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
42 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

My mentor at the shop told me he had a design for a PLN jake assist. It used the jake relay power-out to apply 10 PSI to the truck air brake system with a solenoid operated valve, then magnify the exhaust noise with a mic piped into the truck stereo system.

Kinda like a baseball card in a bicycle wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

The noise has a big factor but its all in your head.What good would they be if you could not hear them.I have thought about the telman electric brake but its so heavy and pricey

I drove a Telma once, behind an E9. Headlights go dim when you power it up, but those things really did it. The variable resistance lever was slick.

Edited by Mack Technician

13 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Let's not argue. I think we can all agree on this...…

If your in a mid 90's PLN...…... With just the factory Jake, well adjusted...…. you will be able to decel on a mountain pass so long as you are Bobtail and you hit a large elk that is jammed under the steer axle skidding like a big, bloody meat wheel chock and your running against a 30 MPH headwind...… the speed control will be perfect.  

Made me think of Maxwell the Pig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paul, pretty sure these guys sell a Copy of the Jake..

http://pacbrakeoem.com/products/brakes/compression-release-engine-brakes/

Cummins used to sell a "C" brake which was also a Knockoff of the real thing!!

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Yup, Pacbrake has the knockoff version.  Barry used to offer it on the Watts site, he emailed me the instruction sheet like 14 yrs ago.  I bought some used Jacob brakes for my 237, and piece mealed it together.  Found the throttle switch on Ebay cheap, the rest I made.  It works well, in my usage.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

18 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Yup, Pacbrake has the knockoff version.  Barry used to offer it on the Watts site, he emailed me the instruction sheet like 14 yrs ago.  I bought some used Jacob brakes for my 237, and piece mealed it together.  Found the throttle switch on Ebay cheap, the rest I made.  It works well, in my usage.

How does it compare tp Dynatard?

Can you feel it working, as in holding you back ?

thanks in advance

Paul 

21 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Paul, pretty sure these guys sell a Copy of the Jake..

http://pacbrakeoem.com/products/brakes/compression-release-engine-brakes/

Cummins used to sell a "C" brake which was also a Knockoff of the real thing!!

Thanks Seed 

Have sent them off a email 

Will report back what I learn 

Paul