4449 Daylight Special

Truck Shop

When i was about 12 i rode a train from pa. down to around Tulsa and back again i will say i will always remember it as a great adventure. We have steamtown about 15 miles from my house just fantastic to see . there is a line in Jim thorp and the Strasburg railroad. Great places for rail buffs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, j hancock said:

That is some fine iron! 

I have seen some pictures of the Hiawatha. Would have been cool to see one in use.

I liked the old Milwaukee road speed signs that read "slow to 90" !!!!... there was a sign like this in Deerfield IL and another in Roundout IL but removed way before my time on this earth!

Have been on a couple steam excursions back in the 90's.  Love to stick your head out the car window and feel the soot!!  LOL!

Got to run a 1949 RS-3 last year about this time.   Best day at work EVER!  Would love to ride the 4014 when it is done.  Or at least stand next to it.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I've sat and watched videos like that for hours already.   I love that old stuff.     I guessing they burn oil of some type?  1 tender for the oil and 1 for the water?   Whenever I see old steamers like that, there's almost always a modern engine in the train.   Is that just to give electric to the cars?   

24 minutes ago, davehummell said:

I was told some or a lot have separate generators that is powered by the wheels?

I think you are speaking of a booster engine. Its a steam powered axle mounted on the trailing  truck under the cab of a steam engine. Its only used to help getting a engine moving from a stop or sometimes when the engine is moving up a steep grade and its speed falls below 20mph or so.  they cut them out once speed or acceleration renders them unneeded. 

• Like 1

love the UP big boys it is a shame the one at Steam town just sits and rots away.I had a picture of my eldest son at about two sitting on the front pilot step. It was "gianormus" .I believe the daylight engine was dun  up in red white and blue when it pulled the freedom train back in the 70". then If I remember right the second tender had been converted to a tool /parts room.

Edited by gxbxc

Many South American Countries went back to steamers. We helped "up date" the rail lines in the Andes to diesels in the late 1980's. They found the diesels had minimal power at the altitudes from thin air up high.. Went back to the steamers for those runs. Higher the altitude, easier to make steam.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

11 hours ago, gxbxc said:

love the UP big boys it is a shame the one at Steam town just sits and rots away.I had a picture of my eldest son at about two sitting on the front pilot step. It was "gianormus" .I believe the daylight engine was dun  up in red white and blue when it pulled the freedom train back in the 70". then If I remember right the second tender had been converted to a tool /parts room.

you do know that the UPRR is returning a BIg Boy back to service? #4014 that was pulled out of a park in California is now in the UP shops and under rebuild

When I was in about 6th grade they were building the new Peters Twp HS they bussed all of us to an old one room schoolhouse the district owned near Finleyville Pa. Every morning an old coal train with a steam engine went thru the valley! The whole valley was filled with black smoke for about 20 minutes! Long before the epa!was about 1956!

• Like 1
  • Like 1