23 minutes ago, beatngu said:

I am thinking the 671 is too long, the 6v53 can fit in some pickups so it may be an easier fit. The idea is just having 1 truck with everything I want rather than buying a separate unit just to have a driptroit

They make 6V71 & 92’s

11 minutes ago, terry said:

the gassers were pretty slow, put a diesel ahead of gas rears you might get 50 mph, depends on the ratio, I took a B421 mack that had the 401 gas, put a 637 in it and barely could get 50 out of it.    terry:D

The 6V-53 would be the best in that they turn 2800 rpm you can get 3000 out of them safe. But lord the noise. If I put a 53 in it I’d have to turbo it to quite it down. 6V-92 natural aspirated would be cool if the turbo took too much room. Same size as V71’s

13 hours ago, beatngu said:

It has an odd ratio I think it is 7.23 the tandems in my donor has 6.34s with 20 inch rubber. I pondered long and hard on the idea of swapping them but thought it might ride funny with smaller rubber in the back and the front axle would be pretty close to the cab

Time to fine a single axle air ride and slip it under it.   Faster and smoother.  My Ford frame was a simple slip fit and bolt.   No welding required.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, beatngu said:

Take her out for a ride! Did you do the repower yourself?

I didn't.  The repower was done in the late '70s or early '80s.  I've heard conflicting stories about where the engine came from.  The Boro of Gettysburg did the swap and it either came out of a wrecked Boro dump truck or large loader of sorts.  It went from red to slime lime near that time too.  I put it back to red.  Rode to many a call on this rig before it was taken out of service in 1998.  I graduated from Gettysburg College and the GFD still hadn't sold it in the early 2000's so I bought it and restored it.  Left the motor in it and a few other modifications as well as that is how it spent the majority of its useful life.

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

I remember back in the late 70's early eighties contractor in Danbury Ct EPK . One of the mechanics put a v 6 something in a little B model 6 wheeler (it had broken down in the sixties and different parts were robbed for other trucks  ,it was straight and not wrecked ) they put it back together with the V6 and it used to scream ,but you shifted it all day long .

52 minutes ago, beatngu said:

I will run the flathead for the spring so I can enjoy it before it is in pieces in a garage, I am sure someone on here would want a running 401 for their project. 

Got to be hard to find a good running one!!    terry:thumb: