Head scratcher

HeavyGunner

Ok so I’ll admit it doesn’t take much to make me scratch my head trying to figure something out. I just got done putting the new wiring harness, radiator and electric fan in my Willys pick up. It has the 4 cylinder and ive barely ran the truck since I bought it due to things needing fixed first. The few times I’ve started it it’s only been just long enough to move it into a convenient spot in the yard to work on it. The engine is a fresh rebuild with less than 10 miles on it. When I first bought it I thought the thermostat was sticking because it would get hotter than I think it should (200-210) and I pulled the thermostat and it didn’t cure it. I pulled off the water pump to make sure something odd like the shaft between the pulley and the impelled wasn’t broken giving me the illusion that everything was working and it was fine. Like I said I put a new radiator in today had the cap off to burp it and that little sob was running 200-210 never really changing much. Tomorrow I’m going to try putting a new water temp gauge in to replace the one that is in it which is mechanical and I will likely replace with a mechanical. Other than the off chance that it’s the gauge what would make the little bugger run so hot? The thermostat is 180 and I had the fan running continuous and the little bugger still ran hot. I even took it for a short drive in the cold air (25 degrees) and it didn’t noticeably cool down that I could see. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Most all systems need the restriction of the thermostat to slow the coolant flow down so heat can be picked up by the coolant.My Mopars I'd pop the valve out and run it that way, Fords and Chevies I'd pop is a large flat washer in place o the thermostat  to restrict the flow down.  

Check the cap also a bad cap or one that has to low or to high a release pressure will also cause it to run hot.Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Radiator is brand spanking new along with a brand new thermostat, radiator cap etc. So I'll put another gauge in tomorrow and see if the old gauge maybe wasn't reading properly. Since I had the same issue with the old thermostat and radiator and then the old radiator with no thermostat and now the same issues with everything brand new I feel pretty confident that it's a gauge problem. If not I'll really be scratching my head 😀.  Thanks for the replies, I'll hopefully get the other gauge in tomorrow and test that theory. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

Then, you'll go from scratching your head to kicking yourself in the @$$ because the gauge is probably the quickest, cheapest, and easiest thing to fix the problem...spent a bunch of time and money chasing a problem you only THOUGHT you were having.  Bad enough when people lie to ya...don't need that crap from your machines, too.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I hear ya but I bought the new radiator because the old honey comb style one was full pin holes and I’d guess was plugged plus I thought while I was at it might as well convert it to electric fan because if I could gain the 10-20 hp (most of the time when the electric is t running) that would be a lot in a little engine that makes 70hp. So it’s not a total wild goose chase but I did hope that all the new parts would’ve cured the perceived problem. So really I’m only out buying a gauge so it’s not that bad. 

If the gauge doesn't fix the problem I'll have to look at the lower hose. Never had it all the way off like the top one. Thanks for  the tip.  

45 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

new radiator and did not replace both hose`s ????????

We got a half assed parts store here that keeps nearly zero inventory on hand. So I was able to find a hose that would fit the top but couldn't find one close enough to work in bottom and they didn't have the universal accordion style either. Next closest parts stores are 42 and 60 miles away. 

13 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

We got a half assed parts store here that keeps nearly zero inventory on hand. So I was able to find a hose that would fit the top but couldn't find one close enough to work in bottom and they didn't have the universal accordion style either. Next closest parts stores are 42 and 60 miles away. 

I feel for you on the parts stores. I live in central Ohio and we probably have 100 parts stores within a 30 minute radius from my house, I'm really spoiled when it comes to that. You have to know what you're looking for, most of the countermen don't know what's behind them.

17 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

ok i`ll buy that:D  what did you find after looking at the bottom?

I didn’t get a chance to look yesterday unfortunately. Plans got screwed up so I wasn’t able to go to town and get a new temp gauge and hose. Will update as soon as I figure this out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't for got about this thread but with no shop and the frigid subzero temps and blizzards I haven't even wanted to work on the truck plus with all the problems I just mentioned I haven't had a chance to leave town so I can buy some parts. 

Well today warmed up so I decided to do some work on the Willys. Before I just swapped mechanical temp gauges I decided to do an experiment. I found my wife’s favorite pot, filled it with hot water out of the sink. I put both temp gauge probes in the pot and turned the burner on and watched. The old gauge was reading 15-20 degrees hotter than the old one. I suspect I have found the culprit. If not you’ll be hearing more about this. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mowerman said:

emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.pngsounds good ... I thought of the gauge rite away. if I had a parts store issue myself I would just use internet ordering lol bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do use the internet a lot but even though amazon say free 2 day shipping it never gets here in two days. That coupled with not having a shop means I don’t start anything that I don’t think can be completed in an afternoon or so because of winds blowing dirt into everything. 

Reno is a dust bowl as well...A lot of times I run my mustang thru the car wash Saturday morning... It sits all weekend and my driveway then when I go to use it Monday night it’s already dirty...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk