Re groove tires?

MACKS

the tire must have "regroovable" on the sidewall... !!!

look up... title 49 CFR 569.3 and .7 for the rules and specs

the good tool can cost $800+, not sure if the Chinese have copied it yet....:D

nick the cord and the recappers will reject it, there is a minimum for the depth of material to be left in bottom of groove and not many tires today give the extra meat... works better for older bias tires

if the tire is close to the age limit and you know the cappers will not touch it, then it may be worthwhile, but in general the industry has gone away from it, maybe the small guys still do it for trailers..

not allowed on steers

some bus companies still doing it for tag tires, might be easier to find a guy that does it for them..

BC Mack

We do a little bit of regrooving, if it hasn’t scalloped out already. 

Like BC Mack said, you can go too deep, and I certainly have done so in the past. But new tyres are cheaper the retreads here so it was no big deal. 

Its also very handy if you can mount your own tyres. It’s one things to regroove one to get 20/30,000 miles but if you have to pay $20 to have it mounted it may not be as cost effective. 

We mainly do our drive tyres to run on dollys and our trailer tyres wear in the middle so we cut a groove there to marry up with the outer grooves. You might get 3 or 4mm exrta tread, not a lot. 

• Like 2

The outfit I work for runs recaps on drivers and trailers almost exclusively. The only time we got virgin tires is either on a new truck, steer axle tires or when we’ve had too many carcasses rejected and need more. We have excellent luck with them, we use the BDY heavy lug recap for our drivers and seem to get decent life out of them for what we do with them. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

12 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

I've heard stories  when I was a kid from old guys that where really thirsty that day how they used to regrove tires with a chainsaw right on the truck.   I don't think I'd recommend.   

You don’t recommend getting thirsty or using the chainsaw?

My father made his own re-grooving tool using an old Paragon Soldering Iron (American Beauty Model 3198 550 watt by today's standard) the cutting edge was formed from a sharpened piece of SS and attached to the tip via holes he drilled and tapped. Attached with silicone bronze machine screws to promote heat transfer. Iron costs about $264.00

Timmy B I would recommend that if you are thirsty you regroove the tire before quenching your thirst! And use a very small chain saw! Have you watched "outback truckers?" it seemed pretty realistic to me but I've never trucked in oz! I quit watching "ice road truck truckers" when the guy used his "Jake" on ice! The list time I drove a truck with a Jake I used it while empty on a wet entrance ramp an almost lost it! 

Some wise words Billy about the small chainsaw. 

Yeah my young boys love outback truckers so we record it for them. It’s mostly accurate, but very dramatised. 

They love ice road truckers too, but I don’t as it scares the hell outta me. Hat goes off to you guys who drive up there!

1 hour ago, Timmyb said:

Some wise words Billy about the small chainsaw. 

Yeah my young boys love outback truckers so we record it for them. It’s mostly accurate, but very dramatised. 

They love ice road truckers too, but I don’t as it scares the hell outta me. Hat goes off to you guys who drive up there!

Read   DENISON'S ICE ROAD He not only ran the road  but had to build it as the went.From the 1950's to the mid 1970's . The ones on TV would not last 30 minutes on Denisons road. The 325 trip was 2 days each way with out break downs, ice break through's or storms.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

we use to regroove our tires when we ran a lot of michelin and BFG. they held up very well. could put over 100k on the fronts.... after the market crashed we just buy the cheaper tires that cost half as much and just changer them when they are done.... (i dont run recaps.)

new resized.jpg