Kenworth 963

kscarbel2

What a beast!  Why do the tires look like ag tires you’d find on a sprayer or baler? Do they not need some traction bars? From the looks of it the drivers are so close it looks like they’d  touch if the tires squished much under a load. I’m sure that’s not the case though. Thanks for posting. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

33 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

What a beast!  Why do the tires look like ag tires you’d find on a sprayer or baler? Do they not need some traction bars? From the looks of it the drivers are so close it looks like they’d  touch if the tires squished much under a load. I’m sure that’s not the case though. Thanks for posting. 

they have those types of tyres for driving in sand I reckon as they dont bury them selves as easily 

Looks like you would need a footy oval to turn it around with the long wheel base 

Paul

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HeavyGunner said:

Mostly used originally in the Middle East and North Africa by oil companies.That one is actually a Super 963 with 40,000 lb. Steer and rears are 120,000 lb and KWC rear suspension. ISX Cummins or Cat C-15 , Clarke  7 speed Power Shift or Clarke Shift Control 8 speed Hydraulic Drive with 4 speed auxiliary auto unit. Generally 15:27 axle ratio.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

A buddy of mine works for Peterbilt and they recently sent him to a production facility for training. They had a 963 on the line being assembled. Said it makes the other trucks look like toys. 

It's funny to see the cab looks so small yet it's the same one on class 8 trucks. A double frame isn't good enough so they just stack another frame on top. Very cool trucks. 

1 hour ago, BGarofalo said:

A buddy of mine works for Peterbilt and they recently sent him to a production facility for training. They had a 963 on the line being assembled. Said it makes the other trucks look like toys. 

It's funny to see the cab looks so small yet it's the same one on class 8 trucks. A double frame isn't good enough so they just stack another frame on top. Very cool trucks. 

Here's why. S.O.P. for loading and off loading.

33.thumb.jpg.96d69a845c7f04d23f7c1c0ebf92a98d.jpg

27.jpg.bed32c05edffb7026e9b7f5753e94d74.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

31 minutes ago, DailyDiesel said:

I guess Western Star and their 6900XD is the only other competition in this market?

K.W. pretty much has it covered with the KW C500, 852, 854,  953, 963 and 993. All oil field units.

• Thanks 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

Here's why. S.O.P. for loading and off loading.

33.thumb.jpg.96d69a845c7f04d23f7c1c0ebf92a98d.jpg

27.jpg.bed32c05edffb7026e9b7f5753e94d74.jpg

The drivers do damn near touched when the tires get squished. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

• 5 years later...

Hi there. Maybe someone has the info on what I'm looking for. Does the Kenworth 963 have engageable rear axles or front axle? I mean, when you go off the road do you 'connect' RWD or FWD?

Thank you. 

34 minutes ago, james j neiweem said:

Mack could only dream about making such a truck!

03DA3CEC-36E4-41C6-9249-134260DF4277.thumb.jpeg.e303cfc0d816c1579a548abca2150ce3.jpeg

These days, yes there's no way they could make such a thing under Volvo. However from the 50s-70s they build top of the line off road haul trucks. They probably canned it due to high oil prices and lack of market but man it would have been cool to see them stick with it and be a competitor with Cat and others.

Plus they made a convoy of trucks that made it all the way to the DEW line. Would like to see Peterbuilt/Kenworth top that!  

• Like 1

Looks like a newer JCB Fastrac. The ones the rich farmers use for their grain cart tractors. 

To me I don't understand why they have to be styled that way. The aero look works for a truck, but for slow speed tractors and haul trucks why not just make it square and better looking? It's not going to hurt fuel usage any, and with the older design it won't be damaged as bad if you hit something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1