If memory serves, the RB was the longest-lived R model.  I'm not sure what year production ended but it was several after the regular R model ended.  I've always wondered why this was.  Is it simply because it was a set-back front axle model and Mack didn't have another one in the line up at that time?  Or what was it about the RB that convinced Mack to keep it around so long?  I rarely see them here in the Midwest.  Was the RB a heavier-framed version of the R like an RD?  Or was it light-framed like a normal R?  Inquiring minds want to know?  :D

The RB was the last of the R series to be produced. A very under rated tractor in my opinion. I saw many of them used Here in Chicago as tractors and straight trucks. lots of roofing company's and bulk haulers used them.  As far as I know it had all the major options as a standard RD had. not sure why they chose the RB to end production.

Been driving a RB dump for about 3 years, they have real long tapered front springs, do ride softer than a RD. It has a pretty heavy duty single frame. They do lean pretty bad if you corner too fast. But I am still partial to a DM or RD, I owned my own DM for about 20 years.   terry:D

RB's in the NY area were used by NYC and a lot of municipalities because of the SBA. Probably was the last made because of contracts for towns, counties and cities.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I never thought of the RB as a very popular model which is why it seems an odd choice for a last R model.  In fact, I don't really recall seeing any RBs until they quit building R models.  Then I started seeing some around.  Did their production run overlap with the regular R models much?  Or were they a late addition to the R lineup?  

Production overlapped, it was basically an  SBA version of the RD with a set of tapered, long leaf springs on the steer.  In NY they were ideal for city and village work because of the maneuverability with the SBA. Great for plowing, deliveries and Urban construction sites.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I love RBs. Worked at a place that had a 91, 300 6spd. It was a really nice driving truck, and I always thought the angled hood looked sharp. Theres still a few around here, all aluminum. KTSI just had 1 for sale at their yard.

2005   almost the last off the line.

59d2efd94e954_2005MACKRBWHIAB04.thumb.JPG.3210895df675fe9cedfea6ef55b4b922.JPG

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, sodly said:

So they came in an offset cab version, too?  I've only seen the regular cab on an RB.

OOPs!! Correct caption but wrong picture. That's a 2001 DM.  This is the correct RB photo

18652095_4294370026333.jpg.ecc1e5ad602d7b238fd565c001a0b2d1.jpg

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

I suppose Aussie Valueliners utilized standard R-model frames. As all other Aussie Macks of those years did. RB's had different chassis style. So the hood hinge attachments would be different.

Here's RB from my side. It was catched up by someone's camera at Russia's North. As I learned from my research the truck dissapeared some years ago.

7VYJBK5oKcc.jpg

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012