HOF Parade

farmer52

Nice. The only other A model front mount pump I have seen is the one owned by Mike Yarnall and it is missing the pump.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Neat.   I kinda wish I could get a few trucks together and run the parade.  I know Karen used to love doing the Stow/Kent parade with the NEO chapter years back.  Never saw anyone so anxious to take get up so early and ride in the Mack?  LOL!  I think it was throwing the candy out to the kids that got her going.  They told us not to, but if they don't catch you??

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Neat.   I kinda wish I could get a few trucks together and run the parade.  I know Karen used to love doing the Stow/Kent parade with the NEO chapter years back.  Never saw anyone so anxious to take get up so early and ride in the Mack?  LOL!  I think it was throwing the candy out to the kids that got her going.  They told us not to, but if they don't catch you??

Larry,

Us "common folks" would not be allowed to be in the Saturday parade.  It is for new and past enshrines, businesses, floats, queens, high school bands, and a few god forsaken rap "noise maker" dance/drill groups.  There are usually several restored fire trucks and antique cars in the parade too.   I never seen anyone at the Saturday parade with candy or other handouts.  I bet if one tried, they would be arrested and ushered out of the parade.  And I do not know how the Jeep club is able to get into the formal Saturday parade.  I look forward to several "climbing" another Jeep's tires...so exciting...yawn!!!  This year included the Dallas cheerleaders since Jim Jones was inducted.  The cheerleaders were the highlight of the parade.  Didn't get any pics but did shoot a video (too large to post here).

However the Sunday before is a "pre-festival" or "kickoff" parade that almost anyone can get in.  I never been to that one. 

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Karen goes to the parade, I haven't since I marched in it in the early 80's.  I have videos my dad made back in the 70's, all on 8mm, which is when the parade was ALL THAT.

I'm sure the candy throwing would be highly restricted with all the officials around.  The Stow/Kent parade was not quite so intense, but fun.  Having your kids eat candy thrown from a car would likely not go well in today's world.  With all the crazies out there!(not including me).

Here's a story for the century.  I've watched the old movies a time or two.  About 10 yrs ago I met a fellow at the machine shop I use to do my motor work.  A new customer was there with his '68 Firebird convertible.  He bought it new, was perfect shape.  I noticed it had a very, very unique hubcap on it.  My mind wandered and I asked if he ever was in the parade.  He said he had carried people before.  I dug out the videos and sure enough, from 1976 my dad captured him carrying a character(had those same hubcaps on it back then).  I made a quick copy of that section and gave it to him.  Small world.

• Like 2

Larry

I attend several annual parades every year where participants toss candy to people in the crowd. In fact if you do NOT throw candy to the crowd they get vocal about it. I for one HATE it and REFUSE to do it- ever try to look out over the hood of an F.W.D. Firetruck with a kid in close proximity grabbing a piece of candy that fell from the truck in front of you? It's enough to make your heart stop. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

That truck is very similar to mine. Mine is a commercial A30 chassis with an American tank body.  The truck is also from Ohio.  I wish I could find a pump.  If anyone has one please let me know.  Mike

post-7810-0-27919100-1334094975_thumb.jpg

Edited by yarnall
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I attend several annual parades every year where participants toss candy to people in the crowd. In fact if you do NOT throw candy to the crowd they get vocal about it. I for one HATE it and REFUSE to do it- ever try to look out over the hood of an F.W.D. Firetruck with a kid in close proximity grabbing a piece of candy that fell from the truck in front of you? It's enough to make your heart stop. 

I guess you HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mardi Gras then

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

At the local PA 4th of July parade, it is suggested NOT to throw candy but to have someone walk along and pass it out.  However, the majority (if not all) just pitch the candy out the windows.  I have seen kids look at the candy and if it does not meet with their liking, will leave it lay on the street.  After the parade there is about a ton of candy squished on the pavement.  I personally do not pass out candy (imagine how much you would need to buy) and no one seems to be upset.  I do get a lot of "requests" to blow the air horn.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Karen started with a HUGE bag and it was gone in about a minute.  Doesn't take long throwing by the handfuls.  As long as you make sure it gets to the curb you typically don't have to worry much about kids in the street.

Yup, the air horn gets a workout(sometimes have to wait for the air to build back up)!   My horn is pretty loud and the spectators are either giving a thumbs up or holding their ears LOL!!  Karen wants her own cord so she can make noise too.

• Like 1

Larry