I took home almost all the marbles this weekend.........

Freightrain

well done Larry ...Got to have fun even if you dont win it all.

I have yet to figure out this kind of drag racing where you have to call your dial in time or what ever. I enjoy the old line em up and run. he who is fastest wins. I can understand having brackets where you have a weight or power class etc... I just cant follow the dial in times and if you go faster than that you get thrown out.

Congratulations that sounds like a real blast they have Nostalgia drag racing of course and my area Sears point raceway now known as Sonoma Speedway that's around 200 miles from here not a hard drive only been there once had a real good time with a funny car Nationals but next time I go out I am for sure going to start with the Saturday lineup which is the old car line up...bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Norwalk(know as Summit Racing Equipment Motorsport Park) had their Fun Ford "Reloaded" this past weekend.  Three day event.  I won Nostalgia class on Sunday which put me in the run off against the Saturday winners.  I won that round which put me into the final four run off for "King Ford".  I lost in the semi finals with a .002 break out.  It was only .01 difference in the reaction times so there was no wiggle room at all.  Had a great time, the weather was spectacular all three days.

https://www.summitmotorsportspark.com/news/81-news/1311-daily-race-results-for-fun-ford-reloaded-2

In Nostalgia Ford, where old school cool is never-ending, Larry Kortkamp and John Feistritzer each turned on a red light in their 1964 Ford wagon and 1957 Fairlane respectively, but Kortkamp, whose reaction time was -.012, took the win and put up a 10.96 on his 10.96 dial while Feistritzer put up a 12.53 on his 12.42 dial.

Kortkamp.jpg

Great looking wagon and nice old Holman Moody shirt!  So your wagon is a 427-what did the 57 Fairlane have?  And add my confusion on this bracket stuff- old guy back to the days of D/PS and my 68 Torino 428 CJ notchback-a rare car-most were fastbacks.  Congrats to you both-Fords Forever!

3 hours ago, mrgumby said:

what do you run to predict a weather station with crew chief or just the wet finger in the air ...congrats  I remember when you could be off by a tenth or two but now its so tight you cant even eat lunch or the extra weight puts you off

A wet finger, yup, that's it.  I have a small electronic weather station I use, but for nearly 20 yrs I used a little cheapo table top weather station with three dials on it.  Won lots of races that way.   The new electronic stuff works nice and have many more options of information.  I don't have a predictor though, I didn't splurge for that.  I have 22 yrs of information written in log books,  so I can guess pretty close most times.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

4 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

well done Larry ...Got to have fun even if you dont win it all.

I have yet to figure out this kind of drag racing where you have to call your dial in time or what ever. I enjoy the old line em up and run. he who is fastest wins. I can understand having brackets where you have a weight or power class etc... I just cant follow the dial in times and if you go faster than that you get thrown out.

I'm with you on that one, I can see the reasoning why they have bracket racing but don't like it. Went to one small drag race in eagle  Idaho and was sorely disappointed when a stock vw bug running 50-60 mph in the quarter knock out a bitchin' 65 or 66 streetable GTO that was pulling one tire off the ground everytime it launched. The bug in my opinion should've never been on the strip. Kinda of made a mockery of drag racing I thought. That's when I lost any enthusiasm to go see another race. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

11 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Well even I have limits.  I will not go see dragsters run, or "box"/electronic cars.   What a waste and there is not much any driver input to race.  Just let go of a button and let the car take over.  BBBBOOOORRRRIIIINNNGGGG!

Yes, watching slow cars is not really exciting, but at least that guy in the bug was out there trying.  We have a group of bugs(some pretty fast ones actually) that run with our stick group on occasion.

The group I run with, it's all the driver.  No electronics.  Just you and a shifter.  I tell you what, since the group started in 2006, they have come a long way.   I was bracket racing for years before the group started.  Once the guys started running, they got much better and there aren't any slouches in our group.

Aside from computers for the boost, ignition controller, fuel injection and 4 stage nox control I don't run all the other crap, I do still use my ancient line lock. THe balance of the crap is IMO you don't have the ability to react to the lights and shift than park it. Rails, funnies and Pro "stock" are like NASCAR all the same except for the colors Yawn. At least when I ran a funnycar in the early /mid 70's  they were interesting and the fans could relate to them because they looked like cars you saw every day..

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

If you know the name Kurt Neighbors? he ran a SOHC funny car back in the 80's.  He still has the car but runs an open body on it now on a few occasions.   Well, about 10 yrs ago I saw him down at National Trails at the Hot Rod Reunion.  I looked in the cockpit and saw levers.  He manually shifts the lenco in that thing!!  I was blown away.  I've raced with him for years, but even more now he runs with me in the UMTR.  He has a variety of cars he can run in the stick group.

http://www.dragracermag.com/kurt-neighbors-afx-mercury-comet-is-still-winning-races-in-nmca-today

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

Larry

Don't know him.  Only fellow around here with a 427 4 spd Fairlane wagon that ran stock class for years was Doug McDougal.  Been likely 10 yrs since I've seen the car.  Used to run at the Ford events around here.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

He ran 427 Fairlanes in the stock and super stock classes back in the late 60s. Started with a 425 HP with dual 4 barrels in a 2 door hardtop '67 IIRC, then found that it ran just as fast with a single carb in the 1/4 mile so he made it a 410 HP and that dropped him a class. The car was downright scary, lifting front wheels on the 3rd-4th shift at 100 MPH, so he through convention out the window and set up the suspension so it would droop in the rear under acceleration rather than lift the front, which greatly improved control and let him use more of the engine's power. Now that he could keep the car on the track, he needed more weight in the rear for better traction and to drop him a class or three. The official version (told to the NHRA) was that the 427 was an option in Fairlane Wagons, doubt Ford ever built any though reputedly the MN State Patrol bought some wagons with 390s. Richard told me that he bought a used Post Office Fairlane wagon with a wheezer 6 and swapped in the whole powertrain from the hardtop. He dominated doorslammer drag racing in the midwest for the rest of the 60s with that car, but reportedly the NHRA finally threw the car out of the stock classes because the VIN indicated a 6 rather than the mighty 427. Another legend I've seen on the internet is that the car was delivered new in primer to his sponsor, the now defunct Brookdale Ford with a 427 as the VIN has no code for paint. The Post Office specced a custom paint, which may explain the missing paint code in the VIN. There's another legend that Richard bought the wagon used from the mayor of a town, perhaps the title passed through said mayor to hide the wagon's Post Office fleet origins?

I met Richard when he raced a '70 Cyclone for the Mercury dealer I was working for, he really knew his engineering and was responsible for much of the 427 Fairlane's drag racing success. Unfortunately the NHRA didn't classify the 429 Cyclone favorably and the car was a looser. I think he ran the Fairlane wagon a few more years, and from what I've seen on the internet it's been sold and still makes occasional race appearances.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Freightrain said:

If you know the name Kurt Neighbors? he ran a SOHC funny car back in the 80's.  He still has the car but runs an open body on it now on a few occasions.   Well, about 10 yrs ago I saw him down at National Trails at the Hot Rod Reunion.  I looked in the cockpit and saw levers.  He manually shifts the lenco in that thing!!  I was blown away.  I've raced with him for years, but even more now he runs with me in the UMTR.  He has a variety of cars he can run in the stick group.

http://www.dragracermag.com/kurt-neighbors-afx-mercury-comet-is-still-winning-races-in-nmca-today

I knew a lot of people by their cars. His Comet looks to be and old B/FX. Nice!! 

I probably saw his Mustang in the mid 80's Got any pics of it? Foster chassis was good, but I ran a Fuller Chassis because Fuller gave us a cheap deal through Jack Merkel and Bill Thomas.Lots of flex in the Fuller, kind of scary at 225 when it would bounce, but the early Fiberglas Trends bodies would collapse a bit over 170  which was more un nerving losing vision.

My Mustang has a Lenco in it,my 55 Chevy has a '57 Olds Hydro or I swap in a Powerglide with a trans brake if I run the 1/8th at the E.C.G.meets.

My last run with my Alcohol Funny was in 1974, I stay involved but ran 3 Pro Stock Mopars from 1973 to 1977.  A  SS/BA Challenger 440/Torque Flite, a SS/B Challenger 440 /4 speed and a SS/E 340  six pack /4 speed Duster. The Funny I had until 2015 when I gave it to Don Garlits, it sat in the corner on the trailer as raced in 1974 until 2014, The 3 Mopars went last year to Mecham Atlantic City Auction. All 3 were under 1500 miles and never titled

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'm pretty sure the Comet has no previous history.  At least I don't know of any.  I don't have any pics of the funny car with body.  I had one with the open body but Photobucket screwed everyone and I them F-O so I can't post a picture I had saved there.  I googled his name but nothing but that article came up with any substance.

Larry

Yes, it is kinda strange, but they all have their "pluses".  I do find it kinda hard to "ease" off the clutch in the truck on the way home from the track.  After spending ALL DAY dumping it at 5000 rpm!

Larry

Heck, I don't have a two step on the wagon, surely don't need it on the truck.  I just have to teach myself to "ease" out the clutch on the way home at night.

Larry