Mack AI460 AI427 AMI low torque low horsepower poor fuel mileage granite , dead dog , remediation

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

I may have made a boo boo again.. is it 5/8" and you use a 7/16" bolt...  unbelievable..... i just did this 3 weeks ago and my brain just 'farted' I hope you get what i'm saying....  Too funny to me.... jojo

Hey Bro ! brain Farts relieve  pressure on brain strain !😇 They changed these 3 or 4 times  extruded to intruded  9/16 to 15mm  and 14mm how's a guy to remember everything your off the hook Buddy!

We still love ya buddy

🥰 😂

Edited by fjh
  • Haha 1

I thank you all for the clarification.on a side note , I spoke to Mike at k&s and he doesn't have any cores to build injectors, therefore anyone wanting the 427/460 injectors will have to send those in and wait for him to build them to your specs..I opted to buy them from m&d distributors , they were brand new from Bosch ,no core needed 116$ each and a seal kit for like 3.50$ that includes both o rings and metal seal washer.

Also replaced the  Switzer s400, for a remanufactured borg warner.they told me that my Switzer was not repairable, I think they just didn't stock the parts for that old turbo.turbine shaft had no play , just a bad oil seal.

Screenshot_20211031-220129.jpg

Edited by R.E.D

49 minutes ago, 03' Big Red said:

I have a 2003 RD686S with the  AMI 370, can I put that software in a 1998 ECM RD688SX 

the 2003 has a Eaton the 1998 has a Allison, would that be a issue ?

Someone  correct me if I'm wrong , but Allisons are kinda limited on torque and hp options I believe.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 10:52 AM, fjh said:

I have an added sequence when installing injector lines! It involves tightening the the injector down snug then backing it off to just touching tight! Then tightening  and torquing the line ! Theory behind this is it allows for the injector to find its happy place if there is any variance in the alignment ball in the head! Not sure if it helps on the e7  but have done this for ever! As we used to have issues with the V8 Lines back in the day, specially when they converted to the Robert bosch fuel pump  and were using the ball for elinment on the injector it seemed to help doing this! just something to try if you have a leaker!

This is similar to the sequence Cummins uses for injectors.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would give everyone an update on how the truck is progressing.

Being a quint axle dump truck grossing 72000lbs , I was averaging 4.3 mpg with the s400 turbo and higher flow exhaust manifold.then replaced two unit pumps that were bad, mpg went up to 4.70 mpg, finally I installed the 427/460 injectors and mpg went up to around 5mpg.These numbers have been very consistent for almost a month now..all that is left is 427hp update, I already have a efile ready to go with mack, but since there is so much work now, I can't be down one truck.Truck definitely has more power and requires less downshift ,but then I again power wasn't my main goal..I'm after the mpg, that's what's putting money back in my pocket , come on!!

Thanks R.E.D

You all have a blessed Sunday.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, we did this recipe on our 04 Granite, and are pretty happy with the results. With 26k hours on the motor, one hole a little lazy in the morning till well warmed up, and a bit more oil consumption than i like, we are considering a inframe. There is a shop not too far that has a mack guru that we are told can do it right with the dry, non oringed sleeves. 
Contemplating a cam change at the same downtime to eliminate the egr bump all together. 
If we were to do the cam....

A. What cam recommended

B. What lifters(same?)

Any other suggestions?

• 2 months later...
50 minutes ago, trey123 said:

so does anyone have a 11gba number for a non egr cam. i have a 2006 ai400 with engine brake. i need a new cam and am trying to go with non egr

The AI and the 2001.5-2003.5 year model CCRS engines use the same EUP’s so in theory this should work and not have the internal EGR bump on the exhaust lobe of the AI engine. The only concern is if you have the Powerleash brake then I don’t know if it would work with the CCRS camshaft. I have heard that you can use a AC ASET cam in a AI but the difference in EUP part numbers make we wonder.  They only make 3 different EUP’s . One for early ETECH, one for CCRS and AI then one for the AC engine. I’ll see if I can find some camshaft bulletins with part numbers and post them here 

Also don’t put a regular ETECH  (1998.5-2001.5) cam in an AI engine. You will have very low power. I know because I did it . Back in around 2002 I was doing 3 to 4 camshaft jobs a week and a new MR came in with a cam down. The parts guys threw me a cam kit not realizing it was a AI engine. What really sucked it was a MR garbage truck 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

thanks. so it looks like cam part#454GC5243 from AC engines manufactured after Dec 2002 may have a different cam profile for EUP's but most likely is powerleash compatible. Cam# 454GC5236A should work with EUP's but may not be powerleash compatible. i wonder what the difference between 454GC5236A and 454GC5236 is?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently we installed injectors, rocker arms and shafts, camshaft,lifters and unit pumps 

trucks is 100% stock including exhaust manifold, turbo and injectors and it runs fabulous!!

if you down shift at 1300 it’ll stay in the power band and up shifting at 1750-1800 keeps things moving smoothly.

It will pull down to 1200 and keep on going 

we max out at 73280 lb here in PA  for a Tri Axle dump

On 11/1/2021 at 11:06 AM, Onyx610 said:

Correct, as with any transmission and clutch’s. Automatics are just a little more fragile with torque output. 

I disagree on the Allison HD4560 being fragile 

the are much more forgiving than a manual trans and can handle the horsepower without a issue 

44 minutes ago, 03' Big Red said:

Recently we installed injectors, rocker arms and shafts, camshaft,lifters and unit pumps 

trucks is 100% stock including exhaust manifold, turbo and injectors and it runs fabulous!!

if you down shift at 1300 it’ll stay in the power band and up shifting at 1750-1800 keeps things moving smoothly.

It will pull down to 1200 and keep on going 

we max out at 73280 lb here in PA  for a Tri Axle dump

This would be a 2003 RD686S that has the AMI 370 program