Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Freightrain

Bunk rebuild 101 (finally)

23 posts in this topic

POLISH IT!!       :P

A nice diamond stamped panel (reefer doors) on the rear would look good.  

Oh, I've thought of stripping the whole thing and polishing it!  The diamond pleat would be cool too.  I started to price that stuff and decided that $50 in flat aluminum will due for now.

7 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Oh, I've thought of stripping the whole thing and polishing it!  The diamond pleat would be cool too.  I started to price that stuff and decided that $50 in flat aluminum will due for now.

You're half way there, buffer and compound would make quick work of it  :)

Looks great Larry!

12 hours ago, Freightrain said:

If I got stainless panels, it would stay shinier, longer.  Only bad part of polishing it..............is you have to KEEP polishing it..........

Thats what children  are for.  :)

Dang!  You do have a plan mister.  If the sleeper is fresh white paint, how about the cab and fen.....?

Anyway..   Good thing I am 581.3 miles from your place because with the luck I have had today, you don't want me too close. 

Cab is too crusty to paint.  Not worth it.  That is all for another day/month/year.

Oh, the front fenders were stripped and painted about 15 yrs ago.  They are nice shape.

Edited by Freightrain

Just got the call.  It's painted.   No time this weekend to get it mounted, so late next week is better.

I know there's gonna be a bunch of people that don't agree, but some aluminum buds would sure look nice.      

6 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

I know there's gonna be a bunch of people that don't agree, but some aluminum buds would sure look nice.      

Yeah man, Bud wheels and Budweiser, they go hand in hand.Looks good Larry. Now will need a large Winfall Mural on the back of the bunk. You would get many thumbs up on that.

1 person likes this

Freightrain I notice you have a Neway air bag suspension, please can you tell me how is the ride,

when bob tail do you drop the air bag pressure. to soften the ride

And what is ride like when you have your trailer hooked up.

Larry, looks good. Are you going to be able to make Macungie?

Robert, I'm still working on getting a front axle for Budds.  I have the hubs for the rear axle already.  I just got a donation of some KBS paint to help spiff up the old spokes.  Hope to get to that in a few weeks?  Should brighten that up a bit from the 15 yrs of crusty spray bomb paint and dirt.

HarryB, yes it is Neway. I put new bags, bushings and shocks on it.  It doesn't ride horrible bobtail, but the only thing that really helped was the added 5ft I put in the frame.   You can't really cut the air pressure to the bags to soften them.  It's like a tire, low air just lowers the right height.  Basically you can't lower the pressure without lowering the ride height.  The leveling valve doesn't allow that to happen.  What some people mention is a "ping tank".  Basically an air tank tied into the bags with a large line for easy flow and that added air gives a better right(softer) since it has more volume to compress.  I've never done it, as I never really bobtail it much anymore.  With the trailer, it rides nice.  I basically always take my race trailer with me on any kind of trip just for ride quality.

HarryS.  I can't make Mudcungie(lol) as my local Ashland show is that weekend and I'm on the committee so I kinda have to be there.  Someday I might make it over there?  I'd like to.

Selfless plug for the show:

Ohvintrkjam.com

final-show-poster-large.jpg?1485871101

30 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

final-show-poster-large.jpg?1485871101

I want the emryville on your flyer!    My grandfather have several when my dad was young.  Its also the right colors.   (disregard the prime reefer) & (my green doors too)

image.jpg.a6b21c235878f9e672ce0dd469ee8405.jpg

Edited by Hobert62

You need some 385 floats on the front, but it the b model is looking good these days. B)