Wheel lift toter

Truck Shop

Finished some repairs today, tomorrow we will remove the drive axles and strip the frame to lengthen from 230"WB to 300"WB

Truck Shop

002.JPG

001.JPG

• Like 1

One ping only

Progress made today. Should have new rails and inserts in tomorrow and some of it drilled up.

Truck Shop

002 (2).JPG

003.JPG

• Like 1

One ping only

55 minutes ago, carlotpilot said:

well you don`t mess around  how many working on the project?

This one is the 73rd stretch I've done and my last I hope. There are three in the shop but this job is mainly mine. I always have a plan and I work the plan. I turn down 

3 to 4 of these frame jobs a year. Fifteen years ago the Freightliner dealer I Hermiston, Or. brought me seven day cab tractors to stretch all were the same.  I turned one 

out every 3 1/2 days. I ordered all the rails, inserts and flange bolts before hand. I only have 4 hours in it today.

Truck Shop

• Like 1

One ping only

4 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Why do people in America stretch the chassis out real long ???
Not been a smart ass but just wondering 

Paul

That's a good question in some cases. This truck will have a permanent mounted wheel lift for towing. With wheel lifts you need a long wheel base for leverage or

weight on your steer axle .

• Like 2

One ping only

2 minutes ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

For a tow truck a long wheelbase gives a longer lever arm so the weight of the front of the truck can more effectively counteract the weight of the towed load behind the rear axle. But a 300" wheelbase is mostly a fashion statement...

Yes it's mainly a fashion statement but a 300" WB tow truck with wheel lift is the standard and even longer in some cases. Cement mixers and garbage trucks will tax 

300" tow rig.

• Like 2

One ping only

29 minutes ago, Truck Shop said:

This one is the 73rd stretch I've done and my last I hope. There are three in the shop but this job is mainly mine. I always have a plan and I work the plan. I turn down 

3 to 4 of these frame jobs a year. Fifteen years ago the Freightliner dealer I Hermiston, Or. brought me seven day cab tractors to stretch all were the same.  I turned one 

out every 3 1/2 days. I ordered all the rails, inserts and flange bolts before hand. I only have 4 hours in it today.

Truck Shop

3 1/2 days is staying with it .  there was a time i could do an inframe on a cummins  in 24 hrs having as you said everything on hand at the start          those days are long gone

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Why do people in America stretch the chassis out real long ???
Not been a smart ass but just wondering 

Paul

paul        same basic  reason you would add counterweight to the rear of a farm tractor      to keep the rear wheels on the ground when using the front loader

4 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

paul        same basic  reason you would add counterweight to the rear of a farm tractor      to keep the rear wheels on the ground when using the front loader

but isnt the king pin on the grease plate far enough forward to put weight on steer 

Had a fella here the other day in KW loaded hay for out west and he had a long chassis and asked him why and he said it rides a lot smoother as most of his work is off road pulling road trains 
Not very long by US standards and even with this length it suits only up to 40 foot trailers when he runs as a single 

Paul

IMG_3317.thumb.JPG.106e046db7860c621c30e10cf9d1388e.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carlotpilot said:

3 1/2 days is staying with it .  there was a time i could do an inframe on a cummins  in 24 hrs having as you said everything on hand at the start          those days are long gone

Well my day's are about long gone too. That's why this will be my last one,  This job will have  lull time because of some extra fab work and drive lines.

Truck Shop 

One ping only

11 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

but isnt the king pin on the grease plate far enough forward to put weight on steer 

Had a fella here the other day in KW loaded hay for out west and he had a long chassis and asked him why and he said it rides a lot smoother as most of his work is off road pulling road trains 
Not very long by US standards and even with this length it suits only up to 40 foot trailers when he runs as a single 

Paul

IMG_3317.thumb.JPG.106e046db7860c621c30e10cf9d1388e.JPG

heres the idea                 even this set up is just a little skittish on a wet road

DSCF3690.JPG

• Like 2

Ran into a snag the outside rails were wrong. They didn't get the sheet square in the press brake and the lips came out tapered. Sent those back,new ones on the way.

Truck Shop

One ping only

2 minutes ago, Truck Shop said:

Ran into a snag the outside rails were wrong. They didn't get the sheet square in the press brake and the lips came out tapered. Sent those back,new ones on the way.

Truck Shop

all it takes is a computer to screw things up          cnc         :D

• Like 1