Trucking in 1946

Those are very nice.  Having said that, I once worked for an outfit whose maintenance director had once upon a time driven a 1946 White.  He thought anything any nicer (or newer) than that was an exercise in coddling the drivers.  As such, he didn't like power steering, air ride seats, and of course a/c, and unfortunately he was in charge of spec'ing the new trucks.  Accordingly, they had the lowest hp rating available, the cheapest seats (ever heard of a "Duraform" seat? You don't want to),  and when they came through with cruise control as standard equipment, he disabled each and every one of them, telling us that he thought the drivers would "abuse cruise", whatever that meant.  I grew weary of that after a fashion, and moved on. 

Those are nice,Jim. I can bet niether of them looked very nice by the end of 1946! As the post- war era was in full swing in our great country, and those 2 trucks probably didn't see much idle time.   Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

3 hours ago, Jeff M said:

Those are very nice.  Having said that, I once worked for an outfit whose maintenance director had once upon a time driven a 1946 White.  He thought anything any nicer (or newer) than that was an exercise in coddling the drivers.  As such, he didn't like power steering, air ride seats, and of course a/c, and unfortunately he was in charge of spec'ing the new trucks.  Accordingly, they had the lowest hp rating available, the cheapest seats (ever heard of a "Duraform" seat? You don't want to),  and when they came through with cruise control as standard equipment, he disabled each and every one of them, telling us that he thought the drivers would "abuse cruise", whatever that meant.  I grew weary of that after a fashion, and moved on. 

Ha-ha,Jeff! I have a buddy who told me 20 years ago that A/C & P/S & a good seat,make a guy "soft". As he had none of those comforts in any of his trucks. Funny,he now runs an air ride CH w/all that stuff on it! Call me softy,but the years don't make the job any easier on a guy!   Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

No credit cards no cell phones My father ran 4 LJs in the early 50s all over north AMERICA with a road map and a wad of cash he got the bug cumming home from WW-2 and hook a ride with an over the road trucker.  He was a Sergent in the Army air corps  and taught people how to Pilot b-52 b-17 Bombers but chose trucking and didn't want to follow his father foot steps on the chicken farm .

Ed

On February 12, 2017 at 1:00 PM, blackdog2 said:

No credit cards no cell phones My father ran 4 LJs in the early 50s all over north AMERICA with a road map and a wad of cash he got the bug cumming home from WW-2 and hook a ride with an over the road trucker.  He was a Sergent in the Army air corps  and taught people how to Pilot b-52 b-17 Bombers but chose trucking and didn't want to follow his father foot steps on the chicken farm .

A "road map" what is that?    Out of our 40 some drivers I'm one of a very few that carry an atlas.    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

A "road map" what is that?    Out of our 40 some drivers I'm one of a very few that carry an atlas.

l always carried two when l ran the road, just incase some SOB stole one! l still have local maps with me of NH even thou we never leave the state.   Hippy

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 70mackMB said:

l always carried two when l ran the road, just incase some SOB stole one! l still have local maps with me of NH even thou we never leave the state.   Hippy

Leave the state?    99% of the time I'm only 1 1/2hr from my house.    

16 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Ha-ha! The "younger set" always tells me,"look it up on your GPS". I tell them,"all I have is a M-A-P".  Al

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 57 bcr said:

Ha-ha! The "younger set" always tells me,"look it up on your GPS". I tell them,"all I have is a M-A-P".  Al

I am sorta one of the younger group we have, and your right.   I will look stuff up on my phone but I do like to have the trusty map as well.    When I was a kid my dad hauled steel and on a Sunday night before he left he got the map  out and  told me where he was going and asked how to get there.            One  of the "senior crowd" that we have has had the same 3 stores and one depot stop for 2 years.     He uses his gps every night and has no idea how far or long it it between stops.    Throw a detour in there and wow!  he needs medicine.    A lot of our guys definatly wouldn't be able to do anything on there own that's for sure.   

• Like 1

I always carried 2 atlases one standard and one "truckers" for the scale locations! I'm cheap so I used to buy last year's model when the new edition came out! Never owned a laminated one, I hated the stiff pages!  Like you said Hobert, a road closure or accident etc left the GPS boys in the dark! Had a GPS route once on my truck Qualcomm, got me 200 yrs from the customer with a railroad track three feet above the road and no crossing! Had to go about ten miles around to get to the customer! That cartoon reminded me when I worked for Bell telephone actually used to call my girlfriend from a telephone pole! We had a portable telephone you could clamp on the " pairs" up on the pole! Every telephone line had a "ring" and a "tip".think they're all fibre optic now. I also used to work in the " frame room" where all the telephones in a district are wired.You could listen in on anyone's phone! Of course we weren't allowed to! One line was a local "house of Ill repute" very interesting conversations!😁

• Like 1