Snow plows and stuff

66rmack

20 hours ago, other dog said:

You'd rather sandpaper a wildcat's ass in a telephone booth than take that unit out in the snow.

The last big blizzard we had here in January (38") I really honestly did want to take her out, but had the wife's van in the garage, and the way the alley in front of the garage and the garage is laid out, I have to hang a hard left to get out.....So I needed to pull the van out....But THAT wasn't happening with 38" on the ground......

And I will (and have) run it in the snow.....But once the road crews start spreading salt.....thats the end of that. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

On 11/24/2016 at 8:08 AM, fxfymn said:

Here is my previous ride; Kubota 3430 with a Meyers 7.5 blade. I just replaced it with a Kubota 4060 cab tractor which I haven't had time to get pictures of yet.

DCP_0961.JPG

Well Fxy good move on the cab- after years of ice on my glasses and soaked Carhartt coveralls-they are pretty waterproof for the first 15 minutes I got rid of the open stations (755, then a 3320) and got this 4720 cab-I convinced the wife it was cheaper than treating me for pneumonia.  Loaded tires and about a 550 lb concrete block I cast with a receiver hitch built in.  Blade is a 6.5ft- I shop at Junk yards-looking for a 7' now-machine will handle an 8 but too tight for bay I keep it in.

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

On 11/24/2016 at 8:08 AM, fxfymn said:

Here is my previous ride; Kubota 3430 with a Meyers 7.5 blade. I just replaced it with a Kubota 4060 cab tractor which I haven't had time to get pictures of yet.

DCP_0961.JPG

Well Fxy good move on the cab- after years of ice on my glasses and soaked Carhartt coveralls-they are pretty waterproof for the first 15 minutes I got rid of the open stations (755, then a 3320) and got this 4720 cab-I convinced the wife it was cheaper than treating me for pneumonia.  Loaded tires and about a 550 lb concrete block I cast with a receiver hitch built in.  Blade is a 6.5ft- I shop at Junk yards-looking for a 7' now-machine will handle an 8 but too tight for bay I keep it in.

Should have added this for what its worth.  Like a lot of guys I'm plowing with a conventional power angle snow plow hung off a loader in place of the bucket.  And like a conventional pick up equipped with a typical Fisher /Meyers/ boss etc you have no down pressure.  This makes it difficult to clean out up against garage doors etc.  

To correct this I welded about a  2" D Sched 40 pipe (its blue in pix) to the lift arm that the lift chains are attached to.  This is positioned such that when I lower the plow, I roll the "bucket" control (quick attach plate) forward and the pipe then makes contact with the plow A frame.  I can now put all kinds of down pressure on the blade.

See attached shots-works very well.

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1930.JPG

Same story. I do about a mile of private road and most of the neighbors driveways, so I was freezing my ass off. 

I tried the loader attached blade, but I found that it tended to push the tractor around because it was so long. Keeping the blade attached directly to the frame allows me to use a box on the rear to drag snow away from garages, etc. I use the loader valve to lift and swing the blade.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

My old TO 20 Ferguson 

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=14646

Edited by HeavyGunner
  • Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

5 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

I plow with with an old tractor also.   I run a Ford 8n with a back blade to clear the lane (about 1/3 mi), and have another 8n with a loader for clean-up.   They aren't the best suited for it (no live hyd, geared too high), but I have alot fun with those old machines.

When we moved here last year, I went to purchase an L Kubota but chickened out due the price.  Instead, I'll gradually spend the same amount of money on a fleet of antique equip.  Next purchase will be a Case CK hoe, or one of the antique Deere crawlers.  

Attempted to upload photos, but can't get them to work.

• Like 1

There's a pretty bad ass Minneapolis Moline near me. Big  diesel bugger, you can sit or push the seat out of the way and stand which I like. It has a front end loader and I've got a few implements that'd work with it. Plus I could move logs and lumber at my saw mill with it. Hmmmm might have to convince my wife that route is far cheaper than buying a skidsteer. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

We got our crew together today. '99 Dodge 2500, 7.5' plow & 4' wing - Stand alone shovel (How to downsize a road crew in half) - '90 Ford LN7000 - '52 Ford 8N - '74 Ariens - '70 Mack MB607 - '01 Chevy Tahoe, 7.5'LD plow. Pay no attention to the plows not being painted yet!    Hippy and Ricky

26.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 70mackMB said:

We got our crew together today. '99 Dodge 2500, 7.5' plow & 4' wing - Stand alone shovel (How to downsize a road crew in half) - '90 Ford LN7000 - '52 Ford 8N - '74 Ariens - '70 Mack MB607 - '01 Chevy Tahoe, 7.5'LD plow. Pay no attention to the plows not being painted yet!    Hippy and Ricky

26.jpg

Rick on Just Old Trucks has just gotten a pair of CF trucks out of a building where they have been since CF went under.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:25 AM, tjc transport said:

mehhhh. that would wear you guys out too quick, and then you would not be able to do anything for the rest of the day!!

I typically don't do anything after snow all day any ways .....and that looks to be a more enjoyable ride than a tractor or dozer:P:P :P

• 8 months later...