Pictures of the Week

other dog

I haven't been taking many pictures lately, not as many as usual anyway. I did see a land beaver in the road last weekend when we were pulling in the driveway. Some people call them groundhogs, but my son always called them land beavers.

DSCN6489.JPG

I saw a trailer at the shop with no axles under it.

DSCN6492.JPG

They're inside the shop, right in front of the forklift. They're refurbishing the tandems, and they said it's easier to just take them out where they can get to everything easily rather than do it under the trailer.

Harvest time in Indiana. I took a 60' load of beams to Columbia City, then had to go to Marseilles, Il.

DSCN6494.JPG

...to get this 60' load of tubing.

DSCN6497.JPG

It had to be fully tarped- meaning everything. The beams going out had to be tarped, but only what's on the trailer. I had to tarp what was hanging off on this load.

DSCN6501.JPG

I had to use three tarps, I even woke my co-driver up to help tarp it.

hot2828_cut-outbb.jpeg

And, sadly, we had a driver get killed at a job site this week. He had a load of the pipe that we haul all the time and from what I understand he was winding his straps up on the opposite side of the trailer from where the loader was , which is very dangerous, but they said- and again, i'm not sure who "they" are in this case- he was at the back of the trailer and the loader was at the front. I don't know if the loader man bumped the rear stack, if the bands were already cut, if it was one piece of pipe or the whole stack, I just don't know. But his son drives for F.L.M. too, and he said his Dad was always very careful around that pipe, and always made him stand in front of the truck when they were unloading together.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/local/2016/11/11/coroner-trucker-dead-falling-pipe-dover/93636360/

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

13 hours ago, hatcity said:

sorry to hear of the loss of a fellow driver Tom.

Always have to know where everyone/thing is when loading and unloading

Yes indeed. I always thought I was careful around that pipe, but i'll be even more careful now. I still would like to know exactly what happened there. Each layer of pipe is banded together and there's a wooden chock nailed to the 4x4 at each end of the row of pipe. If the loader was unloading the front stack, no bands should have been cut at the rear.

TOMMY- Can you find out if that Gary Hildebrand used to drive for Jevic in the mid 1990's??? I was friendly with a driver of the same name from somewhere in NC......and would be about the same age now. I lost track of him when Jevic flushed down the toilet.

My condolences to his family, friends and co-workers. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Sorry about your coworker OD! Pipe always made me nervous requires extra caution! On the less tragic but more annoying subject of tarping,my co driver and I picked up a load of used foodservice equipment in Northern California with all kinds of sharp edges and corners.We taped cardboard over all the sharp edges to no avail! By the time we got to Indiana our 800 dollar tarps were in shreds! The load was mostly used galvanized and stainless in summer why did it need tarped? Any of you old "ironhaulers" who used to p.u and deliver at US Steels Lackawanna Ny mill it burnt down a couple days ago said to have been arson.

9 hours ago, BillyT said:

Sorry about your coworker OD! Pipe always made me nervous requires extra caution! On the less tragic but more annoying subject of tarping,my co driver and I picked up a load of used foodservice equipment in Northern California with all kinds of sharp edges and corners.We taped cardboard over all the sharp edges to no avail! By the time we got to Indiana our 800 dollar tarps were in shreds! The load was mostly used galvanized and stainless in summer why did it need tarped? Any of you old "ironhaulers" who used to p.u and deliver at US Steels Lackawanna Ny mill it burnt down a couple days ago said to have been arson.

I loaded at Lackawanna a couple of times, neither was a pleasant experience...come to think of it, I never had a pleasant experience at any U.S. Steel plant.

12 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

TOMMY- Can you find out if that Gary Hildebrand used to drive for Jevic in the mid 1990's??? I was friendly with a driver of the same name from somewhere in NC......and would be about the same age now. I lost track of him when Jevic flushed down the toilet.

My condolences to his family, friends and co-workers. 

I just asked our safety man, and he said he thinks he did work for Jevic. I tried to call Jeff, but I got no answer. Jeff knows everything.

47 minutes ago, other dog said:

I just asked our safety man, and he said he thinks he did work for Jevic. I tried to call Jeff, but I got no answer. Jeff knows everything.

well this sounds disheartening. Yes, please follow up, if it was him I will post this on the Jevic FB group. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

OD,I mostly delivered to Lackawanna,(gate 10) from Homestead Pa.I don't recall picking up there. There used to be a little diner on the edge of the property we stopped at. You mentioned Jevic I had forgotten all about them! Are they still around? Ran KW conventionals right? Blue I think.I agree Most US Steel facilities were dirty and chaotic! Irvin works wasn't bad ( newer facility, galvanized coils) never figured out why we had to tarp galvanized coils in the summer! The cleanest best run steel plant I've ever loaded at was Empire Detroit in Portsmouth Oh!

59 minutes ago, BillyT said:

I hope Punxsutawney Phil made it across the road ok! We are seeing a lot of gopher tortoises this time of year they graze on the side of the road or on your lawn just like a cow! They are gorging themselves to get ready for winter!

Jevic's been gone a good while now. I never loaded at Portsmouth, but we used to load at Empire Detroit in Dover, Oh. a lot in the '80's. One of the worst thing about U.S. Steel was how slow they were, and being union of course, they couldn't care less how many hours-or days- a truck sat there waiting to get loaded. But when you pulled in the building at Empire Detroit the coil would be swinging in the air, the crane operator just waiting for you to stop so he could set it on the trailer.

I loaded at Homestead Works before and it wasn't too bad, but Gary, In. and Fairless Hills, Pa. were horrible places to have to load.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 10:06 PM, BillyT said:

Now they say a hot lightbulb fell onto a pile of cardboard. Apparently the building was also home to a rubber recycler.

10 hours ago, DailyDiesel said:

Now they say a hot lightbulb fell onto a pile of cardboard. Apparently the building was also home to a rubber recycler.

That is what I heard to. plastics recycling place. started 7:30 am.

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.