Pictures of the Week

other dog

45 minutes ago, MHfred said:

That doesn't look like much of a load!! HA Glad to see you back here on the job posting pictures.

No, it doesn't, but those coils weighed about 20,000 lbs. each. I had 41,000 lbs. total I think. Not a real heavy load, but a decent load.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

We used to have a terminal in Weirton W Va was called Tom's Express ,a division of J V McNicolas trucking I think I loaded at Weirton Steel once. That old iron bridge on route 22 was a narrow sucker! The last time I went thru there they had built a new wider bridge.Wonder if they found the mirror head I left there in 74?😁 Lotta memories in that part of the world!

On 11/3/2016 at 6:49 PM, BillyT said:

We used to have a terminal in Weirton W Va was called Tom's Express ,a division of J V McNicolas trucking I think I loaded at Weirton Steel once. That old iron bridge on route 22 was a narrow sucker! The last time I went thru there they had built a new wider bridge.Wonder if they found the mirror head I left there in 74?😁 Lotta memories in that part of the world!

The old bridge-

100_5500.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/31/2016 at 9:14 PM, other dog said:

No, it doesn't, but those coils weighed about 20,000 lbs. each. I had 41,000 lbs. total I think. Not a real heavy load, but a decent load.

In New Haven Conn they have some 50.000 lbs coils in the last 4 months ive seen 3 trailers bent in the middle and one twisted were it laid over every accident state police found traveling to fast  I moved them on a 35 ton low bed  we off load ships several times a month one driver laid over 3 coils at once in the yard two trips later 1 coil over

Ed

3 hours ago, blackdog2 said:

In New Haven Conn they have some 50.000 lbs coils in the last 4 months ive seen 3 trailers bent in the middle and one twisted were it laid over every accident state police found traveling to fast  I moved them on a 35 ton low bed  we off load ships several times a month one driver laid over 3 coils at once in the yard two trips later 1 coil over

I've hauled some big singles, not quite that big though. I know i've hauled singles over 48,000lbs, and they are definitely not my favorite thing to haul. Most, or maybe all, of our trailers have the "coil package", where the cross members are closer together and they're designed just for hauling big singles. The worst trailers to haul them on were those flimsy steel trailers H.H.Moore had, you'd go around a curve and the whole trailer would bend in the middle, looked like a boomerang in the mirror.

Heaviest single I ever hauled was 52000# grossing close to 90000! This was before deregulation,any single over 40000 required a permit! Had a U model Mack and  a 40' Trailmobile spring ride spread.Had 6 chains on that bad boy! Would shake you right out of the cab! Rule of thumb was one chain per 10000# when the weight was uneven I always tried to go to an xtra chain,I believe it saved my life! I loaded a 35000# single and could only get 3 chains on it because they welded the chains at intervals to prevent theft! As I got in the cab I saw a loose chain under the seat! I untarped and put it over the coil. I was on I 70 in rush hr In Columbus Oh,and a four wheeler pulled right out in front of me! I locked it up and managed to miss the car,but the coil turned sideways and broke one of the cross chains,and slid over a foot forward! I'm convinced that the fourth chain prevented the coil from "joining me in the cab"!

• Like 1

They are constantly loosing them around here usually on I-95 southbound then there was two truckers that would put on 1 load leave for 2 hours and open the second part of trailer and put on another load then off to New Jersey  they have Tri-axel  trailers to haul the weight .  

Ed

'Tis better to have more chains than you need than to have too few! I put all the straps I could get on two mill rolls the other day, 

DSCN6436.JPG

then I went about a mile or so over to a big parking lot across from the store to put chains on them too, because they won't let you get on the trailer in the mill. I put three chains on each roll, along with the straps- I loop a chain through that hole in the big end, put another in that groove and pull the chain to both sides under the groove, and loop another one around that groove on the small end. I wouldn't feel safe at all going up the road with just the straps on them. And then this guy pulled in-

DSCN6440.JPG

4 straps, total, and the beams were longer than the trailer, he had 3 or 4 feets hanging off the back. And the straps were outside of the rubrail too. I would not even get on the highway with this, it's not much different than being not secured at all- yeah, he's got corner protectors under the straps, but those plastic corner protectors have little or no friction against the beams. If he had to get on the brakes hard like you did with that coil he might as well have duct tape and rubber bands on it as those straps.

DSCN6441.JPG

• Like 1