Vietnam Veterans day

mrsmackpaul

Thanks Paul for reminding us of the sacrifice all those who have fought in that war those be fore and those yet to come. I thank them all that gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we can live the life we live both here in the US and around the world. Thanks ,Ted

• Like 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, terry said:

Thanks for that info. Spent "69" there myself.:D

I was in the tail end of operation Fish Hook til Nixon decided that Kent State was more news worthy.

Nice to see a country honor them. .   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Funny but 48 years later a smell or sound (particularly at night) or even just the way the day feels will evoke a tons of memories from there, some okay some not so much. But we did what we had to do and never thought of not doing what was asked.

My best friend who was also my M60 gunner died in the beginning of the year from A.O. induced lung problems, last  of my unit.  I bring a lot of dimes and quarters when I go to "see" them.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

28 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Funny but 48 years later a smell or sound (particularly at night) or even just the way the day feels will evoke a tons of memories from there, some okay some not so much. But we did what we had to do and never thought of not doing what was asked.

My best friend who was also my M60 gunner died in the beginning of the year from A.O. induced lung problems, last  of my unit.  I bring a lot of dimes and quarters when I go to "see" them.

Yes I came home 50 years ago this year, just had my prostate taken out in Dec. caught it before it spread. Like you said lots of memories.     terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this a couple of days ago

Since it appears many Americans dont even realize that Australia had troops in Vietnam 

Come to think of it many young Americans probably don't even know that the U.S. had troops there either

Anyway, this was made in 66

Paul

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this the other day 

Some might find it interesting,  if you do watch it read the comments and it will give you some idea on just how badly we treated our troops from Vietnam 

Our veterans have given us the freedoms we enjoy today, people poo poo Vietnam and Korean wars, what people fail to realize is that we may very well be communist countries today as these unpopular wars really put the brakes on communism 

Have a look if you like

I still have trouble coming to terms with the way we treat our veterans and their families, it still isnt anywhere near good enough in my opinion for what its worth

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

To all the men who went, to all the Mums who let their sons go, thankyou

People always seem to forget the Mums and Dads

#OTD – Opening shots of the Battle of Long Tan

At 0243 on the 17th of August 1966, the Vietcong launched an artillery strike on the Australian position at Nui Dat. This bombardment marked the opening shots of one of the defining battles of Australian Military History – the Battle of Long Tan.

By August 1966, the Australian position at Nui Dat was only three months old. Concerned at the establishment of such a strong Australian presence in their midst, the Vietcong decided to take early offensive action to remove the Australian presence from the area.

In the early hours of the 17th, the Vietcong fired over 100 rounds from several 82mm mortars, 75mm recoilless rifles and an old Japanese 70mm howitzer in a bombardment that lasted 22 minutes. Numerous vehicles and equipment were damaged, and 24 men were wounded, one of whom later died.

Despite coming under fire, the 1st Field Regiment Royal Australian Artillery quickly commenced counter-battery fire at 0250, just seven minutes after the attack was launched. After plotting the likely enemy position, the Regiment fired a total of 240 rounds on the enemy position from 24 guns and the mortaring ceased.

After the Vietcong barrage, the defenders stood to expecting a further assault but none came. Searches of the area later that day located the mortar sites, but found no bodies.

Although the Australians had withstood the first attack with only minor injuries, worse was yet to come… On the 18th, the Vietcong would launch another attack in force.

Image: Members of 101 Field Battery, Royal Australian Artillery, operating "D" Delta 105 mm L5 Pack Howitzer at Nui Dat, 1966. The four shirtless gunners are firing from a weapon pit surrounded by corrugated iron and reinforced with sandbags. Identified are: 1731284 Gunner (Gnr) Barry Faulkner; 215074 Bombardier (Bdr) Trevor Madeley, operating the gun's breech after firing; 4410891 Gunner (Gnr) David Vonbertough, carrying a ranging disc to determine the charge and range to be used in fire support; and 13538 Sergeant (Sgt) Allan Grice. The numbers and arrows marked on the corrugated wall are direction finders in milliradians.
Note: This image was coloured by AI. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
If you spot an error, please send me a message.
Join our group here: https://business.facebook.com/groups/2626189084317964

FB-IMG-1597737072244.jpg

• Like 2