Pictures of the Week

other dog

Thanks for the big boat pictures.. Have you ever seen them going thru the locks???

Those boys can do some serious driving!! Those 3 wide barges fit in with only inches to clear on either side.. And they have to be square before they start in.. Guttenburg Iowa has bleacher in the city park where you can sit and watch them. I spent a couple of hours there while the wife checked out the "JUNK" stores!!!

• Like 1

Brocky

Never seen them going through the locks, but just seeing this come up the river was impressive. It came straight under the bridge, then turned- I thought it was going over to a dock over to the right, but it came straight up the river. That's a lot to handle right there-that's a long ways from the back of the tug boat to the front of the front barge- a long ways! And the time on the first picture was 8:49am, the last one was 8:53am!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Nice pics as usual.  Did you get a good look at the R in Halifax?  Phone number?

Watched many a tug/barge on the Illinois River when I lived near Peoria.  Impressive!

BTW, was on Route 39 last Saturday, drove by Belden Brick on the way to Walnut Creek/Berlin.  Did you eat at Dutch Valley Restaurant or didn't you have time?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

30 minutes ago, farmer52 said:

Nice pics as usual.  Did you get a good look at the R in Halifax?  Phone number?

Watched many a tug/barge on the Illinois River when I lived near Peoria.  Impressive!

BTW, was on Route 39 last Saturday, drove by Belden Brick on the way to Walnut Creek/Berlin.  Did you eat at Dutch Valley Restaurant or didn't you have time?

No, it's a single axle, cream colored or very light tan, looks good from the road, but there's nowhere to pull over in a truck there to take a really close look. However, as always, if anybody on here is interested I would be glad to ride down there and take a look, it's not that far from here.

And no, i'm not familiar with the Dutch Valley Restaurant, i've never stopped there- do they have truck parking? Joey Moore told me at the shop they other day that i've gotten so fat he was going to put a tread mill by the fuel pump, so I can work out on the tread mill while i'm getting fuel. Since I stopped smoking I do tend to eat a lot!

On 8/6/2016 at 6:14 PM, Swishy said:

Rack m Up

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT61xvcuSJLO11KdKffZ4C

archery_babe.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Only problem eye see

U could put an eye out with them 

LOL

cya

§wishy

That reminds me of when Randy and Spot were pig hunters- this same girl wanted to go on the pig hunt, but she shot Killer so Randy made her stay home and paint the ceiling-from about 2011...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, other dog said:

No, it's a single axle, cream colored or very light tan, looks good from the road, but there's nowhere to pull over in a truck there to take a really close look. However, as always, if anybody on here is interested I would be glad to ride down there and take a look, it's not that far from here.

And no, i'm not familiar with the Dutch Valley Restaurant, i've never stopped there- do they have truck parking? Joey Moore told me at the shop they other day that i've gotten so fat he was going to put a tread mill by the fuel pump, so I can work out on the tread mill while i'm getting fuel. Since I stopped smoking I do tend to eat a lot!

How far is Halifax from you?  If you get bored, go for a drive, and check it out.

Dutch Valley has a big parking lot.  I see RVs there and I am sure there have been semis too.  DV has a "stuff it buffit" so you better just drive on by.  As you are driving east from Sugar Creek, go down the hill, at the traffic light look to the southeast and you will see a big restaurant.  That is DV.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

1 minute ago, farmer52 said:

How far is Halifax from you?  If you get bored, go for a drive, and check it out.

Dutch Valley has a big parking lot.  I see RVs there and I am sure there have been semis too.  DV has a "stuff it buffit" so you better just drive on by.  As you are driving east from Sugar Creek, go down the hill, at the traffic light look to the southeast and you will see a big restaurant.  That is DV.

I figured that was it, yep, i've seen it before, never stopped there though.

1 hour ago, other dog said:

A long ways!

DSCN4448B.jpg

That is a 3X3 block.. The ones I saw in Iowa were a 3 Wide by 5 long block. After he put them in the lock they split off the first 3X3 block then he backed out and then lowered them, winched them out, then brought the tug and 3X2 block in, lowered them, then tied it all back together while the tug was still in the lock. And did the same with an upriver bound set at the same time.. 

Quite an interesting process to watch!!!

Brocky