By any books I have the Hayward RL's came out in 1967, is that correct? Today I went and looked at a RL 700 that I use to work on and I know for a fact the license and insurance cards that were in the cab at that time said 1966. Plus the manager of the company told me they received the truck in early Nov 66.

The serial number from the right front frame rail was stamped[ RL 763LST 1689] same on cab plate. It has a 335 Cummins , 5x4 with SQHD's. The guy who bought it removed the 5x4 and installed a ten speed unfortunately. I have pics that I will post tonight. Was this one of the first RL 700's?

Truck Shop   

One ping only

Neat truck.  The small MACK letters on the hood shows it was made in the early 70's or earlier but with a serial number of 1689 I can't imagine it was built in '66 or '67.  It was the 689th RL 763 so not even an early RL763.  Still a neat truck though.  Mike. 

On 8/4/2016 at 11:24 AM, yarnall said:

Neat truck.  The small MACK letters on the hood shows it was made in the early 70's or earlier but with a serial number of 1689 I can't imagine it was built in '66 or '67.  It was the 689th RL 763 so not even an early RL763.  Still a neat truck though.  Mike. 

U.S. market Value-Liners all always had small "Mack" letters, part number 230SX2 (2" high).......versus 230SX1 (3" high).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Superdog said:

The Hayward built Macks used a whole different numbering system thatn the eastcoast built trucks. No matter what the truck was,it got the next number.,so it would be the 689th built Western Mack,not the 689th RL763. don't assk me why,but it's the way it was. 1688 could have been a FS715LST and 1690 could have been a RS773LST.

30 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

U.S. market Value-Liners all always had small "Mack" letters, part number 2" high 230SX2 versus 3" high 230SX1.

I learn something every day.   

17 minutes ago, Superdog said:

The Hayward built Macks used a whole different numbering system thatn the eastcoast built trucks. No matter what the truck was,it got the next number.,so it would be the 689th built Western Mack,not the 689th RL763. don't assk me why,but it's the way it was. 1688 could have been a FS715LST and 1690 could have been a RS773LST.

This I knew but forgot. 

I do know this truck was involved in a wreck in 69, so I would imagine that's when the hood was changed. But the only difference I can see is the scoop.

So Superdog, you're saying it has possibilities of a very early RL763?          Thanks for the replies folks.

Truck Shop   

One ping only

Something to remember as we look at old trucks. Things happen to them through the years and back in the day to save down time you did what you could to get a truck back on the road. An example is that in the late '70's one of our IH 4070's was in a cab destroying crash. Radiator & cab destroyed everything else was fine. We had an older CO4000 out back with a bad rear. Well within a few days the 4070 looked just like a CO4000 & was back on the road.

• Like 1

Heck, parts get swapped on brand new trucks too. Drove an '86 Freightliner cabover with an L10 Cummins and a 9 speed Roadranger around the midwest practically from the day it was delivered, serial number plate on the cab says it had an N14 Cummins with a 7 speed. Also had a radio antenna and no radio. Turns out that the cab was damaged in an accident while being delivered, and Freightliner swapped the cab for one going on a truck for our fleet going to California.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yarnall said:

I am the ATCA representative to the Mack Museum advisory board and was there today for a meeting.  Afterward Doug Maney gave me a tour of the archives and did a demo of the build records.   I asked him to use RL763LST1689.  It came off the line on 5/5/67 and was sold to Pacific Transport by Idaho Truck Sales Company.  I took a picture of the microfiche but it won't let me post it.  Hope this helps.  Mike. 

Thanks yarnall that takes a lot of dust off the casket. 

Truck Shop

One ping only

9 hours ago, yarnall said:

I am the ATCA representative to the Mack Museum advisory board and was there today for a meeting.  Afterward Doug Maney gave me a tour of the archives and did a demo of the build records.   I asked him to use RL763LST1689.  It came off the line on 5/5/67 and was sold to Pacific Transport by Idaho Truck Sales Company.  I took a picture of the microfiche but it won't let me post it.  Hope this helps.  Mike. 

Doug mentioned the Museum hired a new assistant...are you him?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"