Pictures of the Week

other dog

You answered my question in a later picture.. I lived in that Mexico in the early 70's!! And went to school in Oswego..You went to the nuke plant out at 9 mile point east of town.. The college is right next to the steam plant on the west edge of town. Be glad you were up there this time of year.. They tend to get a lot of that white stuff in the winter..

That wreck on the Pike did not look good..

Thanks again for all your pictures

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Brocky

I like the little Timberjack on the cab over lowboy. What's it used for?  I noticed there's a funky blade on the back of it. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

11 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

I like the little Timberjack on the cab over lowboy. What's it used for?  I noticed there's a funky blade on the back of it. 

That was part of the outfit that was clearing that wreck's truck.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

12 hours ago, Brocky said:

You answered my question in a later picture.. I lived in that Mexico in the early 70's!! And went to school in Oswego..You went to the nuke plant out at 9 mile point east of town.. The college is right next to the steam plant on the west edge of town. Be glad you were up there this time of year.. They tend to get a lot of that white stuff in the winter..

That wreck on the Pike did not look good..

Thanks again for all your pictures

I went to Oswego once before. The late David Elder was with me, we had two loads of joists from Hancock Joist in Salem, Va. Before we got into town we saw dozens of people fishing in the river, some in the river with chest waders, elbow to elbow. We were going to stop on the way back because he wanted to see what they were fishing for and if they were catching any- he loved to fish. I was in front and ran by the pull-off spot we were going to stop at, so he didn't stop either, and complained all the way back because he didn't get to check the fishermen out.

• Like 1

I have ran the turnpike hardly any in the last 15 to 20 years until recently. Thought i'd save on toll money for the company, and save having to match any documents to any other documents, so I just ran rts. 79, 19, 39, and 20 all the time. Now that we have to run legal and have secret spy cameras in the trucks I take whatever route is easier for me. And it is no doubt quicker,  with a lot less hills.

For example, I left Sharon, Pa. one day last week at 1PM. I had 2 coils on, 46,000 lbs, going to Madison Heights- that's just across the river from Lynchburg. My 14 hours were up at 9PM. I don't know if I could have even made it by 9 if i'd went down 79, if I had I would have had to "hammer down" the whole way, and pretty much non-stop. 

I jumped on the pike, went over to Breezewood and down, and got to Madison Heights at 8:30, 30 minutes to spare!

• Like 1

Just south of Berkley Springs, West Virginia on rt. 522. This was once a terminal for a pretty good size trucking company- was it Colvin? They had a fleet of red and white cabover KW's, hauled a lot of silica sand from U.S. Silica, which is on 522 just north of Berkley Springs.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2016 at 9:20 AM, other dog said:

I went to Oswego once before. The late David Elder was with me, we had two loads of joists from Hancock Joist in Salem, Va. Before we got into town we saw dozens of people fishing in the river, some in the river with chest waders, elbow to elbow. We were going to stop on the way back because he wanted to see what they were fishing for and if they were catching any- he loved to fish. I was in front and ran by the pull-off spot we were going to stop at, so he didn't stop either, and complained all the way back because he didn't get to check the fishermen out.

Salmon fishing is a big deal up here. Snow shoveling and fishing is about it for year round actives.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, other dog said:

Just south of Berkley Springs, West Virginia on rt. 522. This was once a terminal for a pretty good size trucking company- was it Colvin? They had a fleet of red and white cabover KW's, hauled a lot of silica sand from U.S. Silica, which is on 522 just north of Berkley Springs.

There may have been another Colvin but they are here in Orange, Va. They did have green trucks but now have one blue and white binder tandem and one white single axle.

Edited by MHfred

7 hours ago, MHfred said:

There may have been another Colvin but they are here in Orange, Va. They did have green trucks but now have one blue and white binder tandem and one white single axle.

Oh yeah, that's right. I remember they had a green Fleetstar International sitting there for years.

5 hours ago, HarryS said:

That terminal just south of Berkeley Springs was Compton Trucking a number of years ago. Compton was local not sure what they hauled.

Oh yeah, that's right, it was Compton. At least I had the started with a "C" right. I heard once that the owner's son lost the company gambling, don't know if that's true or not.