Trip to Maine

david wild

Left Sun. on the way to Auburn Maine, up to Whited Peterbilt, got to Glade Spring VA. roads got bad so went to bed, next morning made it to Marion Va. finally located driver of plow truck and asked what gives with the NOT plowing the road or salt, he explained that FOX is contracted to some other outfit and they decide when to plow ??? got back on the road made it to WV line again had enough and it started to rain on top of the snow that was still on the road, big 300 mile day. finally made it to Maine and got back home, going back down 81 I saw crews out in the middle of the night fixing all the guardrails that were torn up by all the wrecks, guess it's cheaper to fix the guardrails than plow the road. couple things piss me off about this, I pay taxes to have that road plowed and all I hear about is highway safety, well where in the hell was the highway safety hero when no one was plowing the road ??? if you are not going to plow the road then close it. I grew up in snow so I don't mind it but avoiding the flip flop pajama bottom steering wheel holder going 20 mph gets a little on my nerves. plus I wanted to strangle the plow drivers hanging out at the coffee shop, getting paid and NOT plowing snow???? Somebody in the VA. DOT needs to find a new job and it's not working in the road dept.

Glad you made it up and back safe. Vermont we only plow one lane during a storm on Interstate 91 but at least you can go.

When I moved here from Mass. I discovered the VA is a very religious state when it comes to snow removal; "God put it there and he will take it away." is their motto.

It hasn't changed in the 40 plus years we have been here.

• Like 2

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Plowed or not, here in upstate NY milk trucks go until its picked up or the truck will not move. Its the same with my roll off business- we service a hospital and the compactor gets pulled no mater the road conditions. They by law cannot pile garbage up- it must go, so we need to be there.

The local towns do a commendable job and the state makes white roads at the thought of snow in the air.

• Like 2

what did you come to Whited for? About 25 miles from me.

Are you far from Gorham ? I am supposed to go up there the end of March to bring an AC home I bought in Maine last fall. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Grew up in Utica, NY - snow and ice were a way of life. Plowed snow for 6 winters while I was in college. If you didn't drive in snow, ice, sleet freezing rain etc you didn't go anywhere for about 7-8 months a year. Here in east Tennessee you get an inch of snow all the schools close and nobody goes to work for 1-2 days. Really frustrating when your trying to run a business.

• Like 1

Jim Toussaint

Division Operations Manager - Worldwide Equipment Inc

Knoxville / Middlesboro / Crossville / Morristown / Asheville Highway

Grew up in Utica, NY - snow and ice were a way of life. Plowed snow for 6 winters while I was in college. If you didn't drive in snow, ice, sleet freezing rain etc you didn't go anywhere for about 7-8 months a year. Here in east Tennessee you get an inch of snow all the schools close and nobody goes to work for 1-2 days. Really frustrating when your trying to run a business.

I agree. One of my hospitals is about an hour west of you and getting staff to come in during a dusting is like herding cats. Grew up in NY... Never understood why a little snow paralyzes people.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

I drove to Arizona just after the blizzard of 1995. The snow that was on the roads in Virginia and Tennessee was still there when I drove home three weeks later. When I asked a gas station attendant why the snow was still on the highway she replied with much drama, "We got 3 inches of snow!!" We go 24 inches in PA and the roads where clear before I left my driveway.

Glad you made it home safe.

Tick, tock, tick, tock,....

Waiting for pictures....

March

It's the one you posted on the Maine/ New Brunswick border. Ex F.D. tractor converted to a wrecker.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

come to upstate Ny now, they plow the roads til the sparks fly and salt the piss out of bare roads cause it seems every moron cant drive in the snow anymore.either that or they have this ''if we don't use it, we lose it salt policy'' god forbid we not salt and save some money. to me growin up driving in the snow and ice and freezing rain was just a test to your driving abilities

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg