PROGRESS, WOW!

GOOG

Surely there is much to be said for the simplicity of old low tech...

I remember years ago late at night, after a day of plowing, I'm cruising down Main St. in Buffalo, NY, in my 1967 Chevy C50 with a 283 gas engine. It is dark and cold and snowing like a beeotch, and the thing dies, dead. I suspect ignition. So I call my buddy Ray from a payphone. He comes to help. We put up the hood, drop in a new fully loaded small block distributor and install a replacement used coil. Starts right up and I drive home. No fancy diagnostic equipment require, no error codes, no wrecker service.

Tools required, 1/2 in. wrench, 9/16 wrench, screwdriver, pliers, and a flashlight.

• Like 2

I work for A company back in 80 s I had 26 U- Models dating back to 70 s 237 5 speeds we went to RI MASS LI NY & CT with 28 +ton loads no A/C one spot mirror mechanical seat and no P/S and the drivers got paid 13.18 per hour teamsters rate trucks got 55.00 per hour bias tube type tires and everybody was happy. :banana::notworthy::loldude::twothumbsup::tease:

• Like 1

Ed

I work for A company back in 80 s I had 26 U- Models dating back to 70 s 237 5 speeds we went to RI MASS LI NY & CT with 28 +ton loads no A/C one spot mirror mechanical seat and no P/S and the drivers got paid 13.18 per hour teamsters rate trucks got 55.00 per hour bias tube type tires and everybody was happy. :banana::notworthy::loldude::twothumbsup::tease:

blackdog I can relate, worked for gold star delivering paper to NYC and Jersey. U model 5 speed no power steering. Union job but now way were we getting 55 an hour it was 14.33

Us spoiled rotten, we have earned it and lived through the back when.. What about our kids... I have done OK and my kids think they can just take it from there, don't think so... First cars they got to drive, yes I cosigned for it, were stick shift. "Dad no one has a standard why do I" Because you need to be using both hands and feet and stay off the phone and once you lean you won't forget what a clutch is for. Working on things is making a phone call for service and opening the hood. Forbid if they had to drive some of the stuff we did. No power steering, no radio, no air ride and the all important A/C. Times have changed wonder what they will tell their kids about progress?

I remember black/white TV. I remember using a pay phone. I remember when our work bought the first fax machine. I remember having to MAIL drawings to customers and waiting for their return. Ugh...how do we wait the whole 3-4 minutes for an email to return?? Oh the despair.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

ya i used to run a R600 set up the same didnt even have a radio,,,cool old truck,,,but now i got all the goodies including an engine that pulls,,,,,but its all in a stinking volva,,,pretty good work vehicle,when its running,,,if you can overlook the homely appearance,,,and its in the shop every couple of weeks.real pile of shit,,,,cant believe volva pushes this garbage off to the public.once more,cant believe they sell so many of them.lol..bob

• Like 1

I have a dumb phone no web, camera or text only a phone, my GPS is a Rand-Mcnally, calculator is my brain or a pencil and paper, the only electronics in my truck is a AM/FM CD radio with a digital clock. Guess I'm a throw back? As I watch The Sons of Katie Elder

gotta smart phone over a year ago,,,still cant figure out how to post pictures here,,,my flip phone was easier,,,but i really like to track the weather on it,and get directions,,,its a big help on my run,,,especially the weather have to take a different route for snow,,with single drive and joints...bob

I don't consider myself spoiled rotten. I feel I have paid my dues. I guess what I was getting at is, how did we do this with the low HP trucks that we ran not that long ago. I think it helped that the world was a little slower paced and a little friendlier. I gave the eulogy for my friend that died last week. I told the story from when I met the man in 1979. He was a contractor and I went to work for him. I got to reminiscing and that lead to this thread. Seems like we had less, and we were happier. Maybe I just miss being young. That's probably it. - Tom

I remember those day and nights when the way to see if the ignition was working. When something like this: Hey Tim grab that coil wire and let me know if you feel anything when I crank it... He flies out from under the hood and lands in his ass...Guess it's got spark must be the rotor or cap. We still try the simple stuff first, I liked it that way. I cant do anything with this new electronic stuff.

Tim was my 8 year old little brother when I was 16.

Was that Tiny Tim ?

mike

I don't consider myself spoiled rotten. I feel I have paid my dues. I guess what I was getting at is, how did we do this with the low HP trucks that we ran not that long ago. I think it helped that the world was a little slower paced and a little friendlier. I gave the eulogy for my friend that died last week. I told the story from when I met the man in 1979. He was a contractor and I went to work for him. I got to reminiscing and that lead to this thread. Seems like we had less, and we were happier. Maybe I just miss being young. That's probably it. - Tom

55 mph speed limit... it really was slower.

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

• 3 weeks later...

I got rid of my '98 CH last year and got a '12 CHU as a very expensive experiment. There are a couple of things I like better like the longer cab depth and how quite it is, but that's about it. Especially after I found out that it will cost me almost $900 to replace my radio cause with all this stupid computer module stuff it's hooked to the computer of the truck and you can supposedly not wire in an aftermarket one. and now with the E-Logs I will def have a pre '00 before that begins.