B-73 Restoration

Yeah, no major damage or spun bearings. Dodged a big bullet there. The machine shop will go through it and magna-flux everything for cracks after it's hot tanked. Once they figure out if the crank needs to be ground, I can start sourcing what's needed for reassembly.

• Like 1

"old time cummins diesel mechanic";; how old ?😃. anyone from cummins CT from hartford (brainard rd ?).don't know what's there  now. haven't been that way in many years. an  instructor there :Fred Munday think his name. service manager gray hair with beard , the shop foreman = shorter guy. one of them may have been named Ray. there was a crew of the best quality, the knowledge and personality. the good days.  DD had bill black (bell Detroit).

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

"old time cummins diesel mechanic";; how old ?😃. anyone from cummins CT from hartford (brainard rd ?).don't know what's there  now. haven't been that way in many years. an  instructor there :Fred Munday think his name. service manager gray hair with beard , the shop foreman = shorter guy. one of them may have been named Ray. there was a crew of the best quality, the knowledge and personality. the good days.  DD had bill black (bell Detroit).

He’s 76, Rocky Rockwell. The Murphy Rd Cummins by Brainard Field is long gone and now an O&G stone place. I used to go there when I worked at Brainard. Cummins Metro Power in Rocky Hill is the place now. Not too helpful, unless you spoon feed them what you need.

Hmm seeing that crankshaft brings back some memories of when I was a junior in Highschool. We had one of those in our scrap bin at the vocational school I went to and some boys in my class didn't think I could pick it up. Yeah not only did I pick the thing up off the ground but I pressed it about 5 times over my head just for good measure hahahaha. 

Edited by The Rubber Duck 006

No playing around ( lol )  Wait until you get it back together after everything you have planned. I think you'll be surprised at what one of those sounds like in the hood area. You'll likely not hear much at idle other than belts...and it'll run as smooth as the paint on that truck. Best part, you can go do whatever you feel like without any worries . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

That was quick. Got the engine back from the machine shop. I think it has the right patina to match the truck!! Actually, a “Loaner” clapped out 220 a friend loaned me so I can rob parts off to fix mine. A bunch of internal parts need to be replaced on mine that we found on tear down.

B83A7D34-8BAC-4176-B597-A77C4A505B2C.jpeg

963C7ECF-A908-41E0-B5A1-D8D759D88AA0.jpeg

Nice find Matt.  And after all the hard and beautiful work you have done, keep the old saying in mind....."penny wise and pound foolish"😎

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 6:50 PM, mattb73lt said:

Gutting this 220 out. Removed the important camshaft today. Quite the effort to get to it. Threw it on my lathe to spin it by hand and clean it. Pushrods are all serviceable, saving about $800+ for new ones. Getting to the connecting rods tomorrow. As crusty and gummed up as this block is, it seems in better shape than the one I have. The deck is really clean and it is newer, 1964 vs 1959. So it could become a runner if mine proves bad or uneconomical to rebuild.

7551E586-94E4-4A39-BF97-29F305C4CA04.jpeg

14891E5F-8DD9-4356-ADFF-E84B138AAE04.jpeg

Matt,

Tell us about that lathe!!!  Looks like there is some history there😎

9 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I'm curious what powered that when it was closer to new. I've seen pictures of facilities with overhead shafts powering several things it looked like ?   106 years old....wow

I've wondered that too, thinking of that time period. Could've been steam, gas, water or electric. I was in a mill once up near Cooperstown, NY. It was a wood shop that was powered by a 20' wide water wheel. When they opened the sluice gates, the waterwheel would fill and start to turn. The whole mill was set up with line shafts and flat belts. You'd pull individual levers near each machine to activate them. Once the water wheel came up to speed the whole building came alive. it was really amazing to witness.

• Like 2

It amazes me some of the things they had back then. I've often wondered how they ever made the first ones. ( like how would you true something without a lathe)   can you picture Louis Clark make'n something for an Autocar with that technology.   Thanks for posting.

• Like 1