B-73 Restoration

30 minutes ago, mattb73lt said:

No. It's a double over Triplex, double disc clutch and clutch brake. It was in it when I bought it.

Double-over 13-speed!  Except for the Lo-Lo in the compound, that would work exactly the same as the 18-speed double-over that we used to run in pretty much every B and R we had.  We rarely used the Lo-Lo anyway.  Just for getting out of a tight spot.  I did find it helpful for backing sometimes.

The double disc is nice, too.  The clutch brake is a super-nice touch.  I drove a couple that did not have one, and they could be a real pain...especially when sitting on a hill in neutral.

That double-over makes for a pretty long-legged dog.  What rear gear you got?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

The rear now has a 4.62 in it. 24.5 rubber and should cruise nicely at 65+. It's almost the same set up as my other B, but that has a 237, single disc clutch and 22.5 rubber. Top end will be about 80 against the governor. For what I do it works great.

Mine '70 had  4.17s with the direct 15-speed.  Only good for a little over 60mph.  Really needed that OD.

The one I used to drive with the Quad was good for 60 in Direct 4th, about 70 in Hi-Split 4th, and (theoretically)  80+ in Hi-Split 5th.  'Course, with that tri-axle Hyster lowboy behind it, the 250 had a hard time even thinking about seeing that top end!

Can't wait to see your finished.  The work on it so far is truly exceptional.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Matt, that Triplex definitely looks good suiting its place in the chassis. But... Are you really going to fit the engine TO the tranny? With that two disc clutch setup I would expect some dancing around along the deal.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

9 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Mine '70 had  4.17s with the direct 15-speed.  Only good for a little over 60mph.  Really needed that OD.

The one I used to drive with the Quad was good for 60 in Direct 4th, about 70 in Hi-Split 4th, and (theoretically)  80+ in Hi-Split 5th.  'Course, with that tri-axle Hyster lowboy behind it, the 250 had a hard time even thinking about seeing that top end!

Can't wait to see your finished.  The work on it so far is truly exceptional.

Thanks for he compliments. The NH220 should do fine, I don't carry anything too heavy, 6-7,000 lbs would be about the heaviest load. In my other truck I ran a END-673 for a long time with the same loads. It took a little bit to get it up to cruising speed, but nothing too bad. It was a much different truck when I put a 237 in it.

Looks like your work shop became more a paint shop at the recent times. All those endless brackets, levers and rods sure take amounts of job. Sounds reasonable to not mount the cab on the chassis if no possibility to put the truck inside for the winter. Would be a big step forward but doesn't make sence since you won't be able to work on it in cold.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

7 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

That Budd/hubcap combo looks fantastic. I've never seen hubs like that before

There's a lot of variations. I realized that when I was hunting for a set. Most have a recessed hub with a small cap. Luckily, I found this set which is what I was looking for and I could use the caps that were sitting on a bookshelf since I had them chromed years ago.

22 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

No backing plates on the brakes, not a big drama as most people chuck them out

Looks really impressive 

Paul 

I don't think this one ever had any and the back axle that I got with it didn't. I put them on the new back axle, but it didn't seem to have any provisions for them on the front.

• Like 2