What this is...

other dog

is a yellow jacket's stinger-

I pulled it out of my leg after an unprovoked attack by yellow jackets while I was cutting the grass.

It doesn't hurt much, but this one still does.

Doesn't look like much on my finger,

but it's a nasty looking thing up close!

I never did see a nest, I was going to pour some gasoline in the hole and follow it with a match...sneaky rascals!

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

YEAH!!!! Them ground nesting one get real mad in a hurry!!! I guess the think a lawn mower is a tornado?? Had them chase me all the way back to the house and then the garden hose did not bother them much!!! I found their nest because the lawn mower was still sitting there!!! and YES the gasoline and farmer match works!!!

• Like 1

Brocky

Luck you :) all I ever got stung by was one of these.

post-3242-0-24898200-1439142956.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

think that would be a honey bee yellow jackets and wasps don`t loose stingers. honey bees can only sting once

Not honeybees, definitely yellow jackets- I got a real good look at them. A couple of their bodies are still out there in the yard somewhere.

I might have caused the stinger to detach when I smacked it off me. I've been stung by them many times, usually while cutting grass, but this was the first time i've found a stinger stuck in me.

• Like 1

Luck you :) all I ever got stung by was one of these.

attachicon.gif161263000_dodge-super-bee-24-embossed-tin-sign-mopar-fits-2006-.jpg

I don't know if i'm lucky or not, but i've been stung 4 times in the last couple of weeks now, and I hadn't been stung 4 times in the last 20 years before.

I got one nest in the eaves of the barn of something called White Faced Hornets and one giant nest in the ground of some all black bees. I prefer to just avoid them. I Fork Union I had mud wasps but quick work with Kerosene cured them. Hate Bees worse than Obama.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Not honeybees, definitely yellow jackets- I got a real good look at them. A couple of their bodies are still out there in the yard somewhere.

I might have caused the stinger to detach when I smacked it off me. I've been stung by them many times, usually while cutting grass, but this was the first time i've found a stinger stuck in me.

well at least we know that one is done

well at least we know that one is done

They're persistent bast- uh, creatures too! The one that was stinging me on the ankle, I thought i'd never get that one off of me- stung me through my sock!

I've been back out there twice since looking for a nest and haven't seen a thing...except for that one, that crawled up into the hummingbird feeder.

I had to go over to the brother in laws a couple weeks ago and eradicate a bald faced hornets nest in one of their trees they wouldn't go near it when I went right up to it and sprayed it down they thought I was crazy that's why my oldest niece and I get along well because Im her crazy uncle who isn't scared to try anything at least once.

They're persistent bast- uh, creatures too! The one that was stinging me on the ankle, I thought i'd never get that one off of me- stung me through my sock.

Remember yellow jackets and wasps often will bite and latch on as they give you multiple stings. If you find the nest at first or last light when they are least active give 'em a good shot of ether, no fire needed. Usually will kill a nest with one good dose.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

I had an underground nest of bumble bees a few weeks ago. I got the big-assed (thats a highly technical term for "large") pasta pot and boiled up some water and went out there at night and poured it all down the hole. Figured the little bastards were done. Nope. Now I have Zombie Bumble Bees and a big 1' diameter brown circle of dead grass smack in the middle of my nice green yard.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

:SMOKIE-RT:

As far as I know,there's NOT a valid reason in Nature for Wasps and Hornets,though I HAVE heard of Wasps doing a little pollenating when the bees are in short supply. That STILL doesn't redeem 'em in my opinion though-the only good wasp is a DEAD wasp. I'm glad you survived-those little buggers put me horizontal if I get stung.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Hey Speed! Are you allergic to bee stings? I got stung here in the kitchen a couple of weeks ago, wasps made a nest in the vent over the stove and came in when I turned the light on over the stove to make coffee. 5 minutes later I didn't even feel it, but these yellow jacket stings still hurt now, and they stung me hours ago.

Yeah-I've been pretty good at either stayin' away from 'em or taking the offensive and makin' 'em homeless. Seems like every car or truck I get ends up having nests in it somewhere-behing the headlight buckets,in the door jambs,in the wheel wells,hangin' off the underside of the hood...they must reproduce like little Guinea Pigs or rabbits-no matter HOW many I wipe out,there's a fresh crop every Spring.

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

tis the season for them little buggers, been using about 3 cans of spray a week here between buildings and equipment, seems if you leave a machine untouched for more than 5 days you have to KILL them so you can reoccupy it.

them ground wasps are just nasty bastards! usally find them when moving cows,and they arnt happy after you run 50+ head over their nest! had another run in with them obamma wasps and they were angrier than a black panther meeting! they built a basketball sized nest under the loading chute after about the 4th. cow danced her way up the chute they came out like a bunch of looters in fergerson!so we tear gassed um with some exhaust off of a pickup and a chunk of poly pipe!

• Like 1

Tom,

Better get to a doctor and get one of them there "injection kits" that counteract bee stings. A good friend of mine almost died as a result of a yellow jacket sting. He had been stung several times previously without any issues but then one time he was stung and passed out. Wife called 911.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Tom,

Better get to a doctor and get one of them there "injection kits" that counteract bee stings. A good friend of mine almost died as a result of a yellow jacket sting. He had been stung several times previously without any issues but then one time he was stung and passed out. Wife called 911.

The place on my ankle was infected looking this morning- I don't know if it was stinging me or biting me there, it was on the outside of my sock. I put some dollar-store equivalent of neosporin on it before I left. Still looks nasty, but it doesn't hurt any more.All last night it felt about like holding a lit cigarette on my ankle. Never had a wasp or bee sting do that before. And I didn't even gain any super-powers!

Better watch it close. Some of the bees have cross bred and the venom is similar to a Barn Spider / Brown Recluse spider bite. The flesh in the area will actually die and cause more dire problems down the line. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE