Sign in to follow this  
Barry

Thermodyne/diesel Emblems...need Opinions!

We contracted a place to make these Theremodyne/Diesel Emblems from scratch using an original as a patteren and CNC waterjet machine to do the work! The mounting pins will be 100% on the money on these repros, but the waterjet can't seem to get the outside bevel just right. After several tries, they want to supply them as shown. They look damn good, but the letters are just a little square cut rather than thin and beveled. Take a look at the pics below and let me know what you think. Would you use these on your truck? (Did I mention that the pins line up perfect? )

Our Repros

100_1915.jpg

Close up

100_1916.jpg

Another Closeup

100_1917.jpg

Laying down

100_1918.jpg

Ours vs. original

100_1919.jpg

Another of ours vs original

100_1920.jpg

Current misaligned repros

100_1921.jpg

Current upclose

100_1922.jpg

Ours vs current

100_1923.jpg

All three

100_1924.jpg

Diesel side view

100_1925.jpg

Another shot of our repros

100_1926.jpg

Artsy sun glare shot! :D

100_1927.jpg

• Like 1

if the price is better than having stock ones repaired than this is a great option!

Trent.

• Like 1

They look good to me. I would definitely use them and most likely will get some because they are the only badges that my B-61 is lacking.

If somebody is showing for originality, these probably won't work.

But for all of the rest of us - they look great.

Got any pricing Barry, and are you thinking of the model number

badges also? (B61, B67 etc.)

Thanks,

Paul Van Scott

• Like 1

Working on pricing...

If these are a go, number badges will be next! We should be able to make them in any combination!

ARE THEY THAT REALLY SOFT ETAL MATERIAL?? MY PICKED UP 2 B73 EMBLEMS LIKE 2 YRS AGO AT MACUNGIE AND ONE BROKE IN HALF AND THE OTHES I BUOT TO FALL OUT!! SO ARE THEY STURDY CUZ IF THE ARE ID LIKE OOKIN AT A SET OF B-73S

looks good to me,I sure wouldn't hesitate to use them. And probably 99% of people would never notice they're not original equipment.

Kinda sad when modern technology can't reproduce something so simple.Most people probably wouldn't notice,but those going for 100% authentic won't like them.I see the price of originals going way up.

Looks like close enough fer goverment work fer me i would use them

later

:mack1:

We need thermodyne badges. Is it possible to still get originals???

Hubby wants to know if sandblasting the repro badges before chroming would soften the edges

Barry, What is the composition of the base, or parent metal of these reproduction emblems? Are they aluminum, zinc, steel, etc?

Rob

Barry, What is the composition of the base, or parent metal of these reproduction emblems? Are they aluminum, zinc, steel, etc?

Rob

I'll find out for sure, but I believe them to be steel. They are somewhat heavy in weight.

Pretty impressive looking. I'd use them, as like everyone else...NOS perfection my truck isn't.

My originals are pretty fair condition, though pitted from sitting outside for a long time. I'm sure they were replaced when the truck was painted way back when.

They look good to me as well, and would also be interested in a set.

Dave

They look good to me as well, and would also be interested in a set.

Dave

I would get a set for mine but I didnt see a price are these avail????

I would get a set for mine but I didnt see a price are these avail????

BUMP

If they can be kept on the down low, I could use a couple also.

mike :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Superdog, I can’t believe that we cannot duplicate the originals. Maybe I am too particular but in the antique tractor world this would never fly. Personally, this would have to be a last resort. I just like certian things to look original.

I have to agree with Superdog, I can’t believe that we cannot duplicate the originals. Maybe I am too particular but in the antique tractor world this would never fly. Personally, this would have to be a last resort. I just like certian things to look original.

If you had to tell someone that they werent original how bad could it be? I saw the originals at the Mack Museum in Macungie Pa. If Iam not mistaken they were made of Walnut.

I would use them. Are the later Thermodyne badges available? Like on F models, capital letters with a line under, I'd be interested in a couple of those also.

If your out to win awards in truck shows, then yeah... go restored original emblems $$$$

But I'd like my truck to look good and still be affordable and functional

thumbs up on the replica :thumb:

Can't please all the people all the time

But you can please most of them with these emblems

• Like 1

Hello,
mam interest emblem thermodyne+dissel
Please contact --jarda.ficenec@seznam.cz
thank you

You better go to Watt's online store page, find them there in the "Antique Mack parts" and make an order.

There's a lot of other B model stuff you might be enjoyed to see.

Vlad